• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

8” new overnight in Staatsburg, pure fluff. Had about 5” from part 1, so a nice total of 13”. Didn’t think I’d make it to 12”. Nice start to the season considering it’s third accumulating snow IMBY and it’s just December 3. It’s surprising how much those 10-15 or so miles between Poughkeepsie and Rhinebeck make such a difference in many storms. I’ve noticed it for years while living in Poughkeepsie and now I’m seeing it firsthand. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chietanen said:

8” new overnight in Staatsburg, pure fluff. Had about 5” from part 1, so a nice total of 13”. Didn’t think I’d make it to 12”. Nice start to the season considering it’s third accumulating snow IMBY and it’s just December 3. It’s surprising how much those 10-15 or so miles between Poughkeepsie and Rhinebeck make such a difference in many storms. I’ve noticed it for years while living in Poughkeepsie and now I’m seeing it firsthand. 

Still set up the backyard ice rink at the new location?

12 minutes ago, chietanen said:

No need! Now I have a pond. Hoping for a cold winter. :snowing:

1E342B62-2E71-48A0-9F8E-73873DF9339A.jpeg

That means you also have lots of water for snowmaking. Gonna have to thoroughly coat the place and bug out the neighbors.

I think my 4" eyeball measurement was a bit optimistic. Even on top of the 1/2" ice base it's really more like 3" total for the event. Weak...

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Tpalm, are you new around here? Welcome.

After my last bitch about getting shafted it started snowing, then it snowed harder and for a pretty long time. I haven't been out but it looks like at least 3" and may be closer to 4.

Thanks @gravitylover! Been poking around since 2010 but don’t post much. Always on here though when winter comes around. Enjoy the snowpack!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chietanen said:

You didn’t end up getting in that band last night?  It really overproduced. I expected a max of 3-4”. Must’ve been good snow growth! 

I believe the focus of that band remained pretty much stationary from Albany down to about Hyde Park, closely following the river corridor. The 12-20" reports in NW Dutchess and SW Columbia are very impressive. I was likely sitting under subsidence between areas of enhancement, which would explain why I only saw about an inch after 9 pm.

Wont call it a bust for my area, more so a disappointment. Heaviest snowfall stayed a good 30 to 40 miles north of me. I ended up with 6".  Dissapointing when you're forecasted for 9 to 15" though. Areas just to my north cleaned up with a solid 12", especially near my job. All in all, a decent even regardless. I'm looking forward to the next one in my new area:).

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

30.5°, dark gray skies, intermittent flurries, trees still encased in white and a foot of snow on the ground.

It's hard to believe people get depressed by weather like this. If it were sunny and 50° with no snow anywhere in sight, now that's depressing.

Agree.  Such a beautiful charm out there.