Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

56 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

What's everybody's pressure looking like? My station says 988 mb, which seems a little low but would certainly be impressive if true.

Fascinating dynamics showing up on radar.

At 10:00 pm I'm at 985 mb and have 2.40 in the bucket. Not much in the wind catagory tho ( in a sheltered area).

The guy a few blocks away from me has 3.15 and 2 miles away 2.98 so you're pretty close to what I'm seeing here. KDXR seems to only be showing 1.85 though which is a lot lower than surrounding less official stations. Unfortunately the Brewster mesonet has no precip record for this one, Somers has 2.73 and Dover 2.46. I'm glad it's not as windy as down on LI or along the coast, too many weak branches and widowmakers still hiding up the trees for my comfort.

Just now, gravitylover said:

The guy a few blocks away from me has 3.15 and 2 miles away 2.98 so you're pretty close to what I'm seeing here. KDXR seems to only be showing 1.85 though which is a lot lower than surrounding less official stations. Unfortunately the Brewster mesonet has no precip record for this one, Somers has 2.73 and Dover 2.46. I'm glad it's not as windy as down on LI or along the coast, too many weak branches and widowmakers still hiding up the trees for my comfort.

Agree with the winds, not too bad here. Don't need the trees coming down with the saturated ground. I guess we jackpotted with the precip.

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Agree with the winds, not too bad here. Don't need the trees coming down with the saturated ground. I guess we jackpotted with the precip.

I wouldn't call the ground saturated at all. I bet that it's nearly dry 4" down. This was the first rain of consequence in quite some time. In a lot of places, around here anyway, the ground was so dry it had contracted to the point that rocks just get knocked loose when you walk or roll over them (on the mt bike) and deadfall was tinder dry rather than the soft almost sponge like texture it has had for almost the last 2 years. This is a nearly perfectly timed storm to get the soil moisture up a bit before winter. Now it will accept more moisture and will be able to freeze thoroughly rather than just in pockets which can lead to better snowpack retention due to fewer warm insulating pockets at ground level. Getting ahead of myself a bit maybe...

If you took I90 as a base point and go north about 100 miles they're just getting wasted and have been for at least the last 3 hours that I've been awake. They've been under 35dbz returns since 5am and the wind looks to be pretty bad too. Yuck.

43 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I wouldn't call the ground saturated at all. I bet that it's nearly dry 4" down. This was the first rain of consequence in quite some time. In a lot of places, around here anyway, the ground was so dry it had contracted to the point that rocks just get knocked loose when you walk or roll over them (on the mt bike) and deadfall was tinder dry rather than the soft almost sponge like texture it has had for almost the last 2 years. This is a nearly perfectly timed storm to get the soil moisture up a bit before winter. Now it will accept more moisture and will be able to freeze thoroughly rather than just in pockets which can lead to better snowpack retention due to fewer warm insulating pockets at ground level. Getting ahead of myself a bit maybe...

If you took I90 as a base point and go north about 100 miles they're just getting wasted and have been for at least the last 3 hours that I've been awake. They've been under 35dbz returns since 5am and the wind looks to be pretty bad too. Yuck.

Agree with you there on the the ground just below the surface being dry. The creeks and streams didn't rise so much here, most of it absorbed into the dry grounds. With the I90 area, I was up in the Warrensburg/Lake George area fishing last weekend and the weather was beautiful vs today. The lakes and streams were lower than normal up there so they will benefit too.

15 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I wonder if orographics has added to the higher totals here to your east?

I think being closer to the low probably had more of an effect than terrain enhancement. Precip rates were pretty bonkers near and east of the river while the system was bombing out... I even had a flash of lightning

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think being closer to the low probably had more of an effect than terrain enhancement. Precip rates were pretty bonkers near and east of the river while the system was bombing out... I even had a flash of lightning

No lightning here, but we received area wide beneficial rains. :clap:

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I thought I saw lightning last night after the living room lights were off and I was watching tv. It's been raining on and off here for the last two hours with pretty much nothing showing up on radar. Just a raw and nasty day out there.

3 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I wonder if orographics has added to the higher totals here to your east?

I don't recall a huge difference in elevation between you and I, I'm at 385'.  Now in the winter I think there is certainly some in play with my location in comparison to someone I know who lives up in Walker Valley depending on the storm. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I thought I saw lightning last night after the living room lights were off and I was watching tv. It's been raining on and off here for the last two hours with pretty much nothing showing up on radar. Just a raw and nasty day out there.

There have been so many monotonous CoC days this fall that I don't mind the weather actually doing something. It's gusty and dark and finally feels like the cool season is here. Foliage is taking a hit, though not as badly as I expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

There have been so many monotonous CoC days this fall that I don't mind the weather actually doing something. It's gusty and dark and finally feels like the cool season is here. Foliage is taking a hit, though not as badly as I expected.

I noticed that too.  When I left the house at 8, there were some leaves down and a few small branches, but I was expecting a lot more.

What's the timing of the rain in the NW CT hills today? It's beautiful up here this morning at Mohawk Mtn, we have a booth on the deck at the Fall Festival, the mist just finished rising off the lake, it's about 85% leafed out in full color and there's an acoustic band playing down on the lower patio. Nice...

Every good meteor shower this year has been obscured by clouds :( Every one...

The recent rains really did wonders for the soil condition in the woods. It's so nice out there now (as long as you don't go down because the wet leaves are hiding the rocks and roots underneath). 

It's raw out there today, really feels like fall. I think it should be a few degrees cooler than the current 53 though, right?