• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

37 here. Looks like KDXR just about got to freezing. Most of the higher spots stayed considerably warmer, it's near perfect radiating conditions and it shows in the 5-6 degree difference over very short distances. With all of the different weather stations we can access now it's pretty cool that you can really see microclimates at work. 

I’m sitting at 33, don’t see any frost in my yard but there may be some out in the park. KMGJ is at 31 currently. It’s not uncommon for me to be a couple of degrees warmer than there on mornings like this. It’s either that most of the leaves still on the trees and/or my proximity to the Wallkill and wetlands that keep the extra moisture here thus keeping the temp up a touch.  KMGJs dew point is 30 and mine is 32 now. 

39 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Foliage in my area is dull, no bones about it. The Hudson Highlands are absolutely terrible after the oaks all went brown at once, long before any other trees had a chance to inject some real color into the mix. Catskills and NW hills are fine. Gunks always run late, so TBD.

Also, hi guys!

Welcome back.  The question I have is if the season can be salvaged or its another shitty foliage year for us.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Welcome back.  The question I have is if the season can be salvaged or its another shitty foliage year for us.   

I’d say shitty, but we’ll know soon enough.  In my backyard, the maples aren’t producing.  There is some yellow sporadically but even that is dull.  Japanese maple hasn’t turned yet and neither have the oaks.

11 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Foliage in my area is dull, no bones about it. The Hudson Highlands are absolutely terrible after the oaks all went brown at once, long before any other trees had a chance to inject some real color into the mix. Catskills and NW hills are fine. Gunks always run late, so TBD.

Also, hi guys!

Where were you hiding? Everything ok? 

I dunno, I guess I'm just appreciating it differently this year. My wife and I were talking about this driving around the last 2 days and while it's pretty mediocre from a distance it's not bad up close in a lot of spots. What it isn't is a nice carpet of color like we used to get so it looks great out the car window. Like I mentioned earlier it's damned good when you're in the woods or in an area where it's mostly shaded and cooler, north facing helps as does tight canyons. It may also be that after being so fkd up last winter everything has been more vivid and dramatic for me this year and I'm just appreciating the fruits of the earth a little bit more this lap around the sun.

Cold, wet, windy and gloomy day but after such a nice stretch since late June I'm alright with it. Bring them leaves down and get it done with :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I dunno, I guess I'm just appreciating it differently this year. My wife and I were talking about this driving around the last 2 days and while it's pretty mediocre from a distance it's not bad up close in a lot of spots. What it isn't is a nice carpet of color like we used to get so it looks great out the car window. Like I mentioned earlier it's damned good when you're in the woods or in an area where it's mostly shaded and cooler, north facing helps as does tight canyons. It may also be that after being so fkd up last winter everything has been more vivid and dramatic for me this year and I'm just appreciating the fruits of the earth a little bit more this lap around the sun.

Cold, wet, windy and gloomy day but after such a nice stretch since late June I'm alright with it. Bring them leaves down and get it done with :) 

“Only that day dawns to which we are awake.”  Yeah, I’d say that you had a big awakening last year, kudos to you. Fall foliage is so damn tricky. I’m guessing now if the very dry September, 1.27” here got some trees to shut down and dropped leaves because that clearly happened in my yard. Now we’re getting some rain again and the leaves aren’t dropping as much. I’m hoping what’s left will change into some decent color here. We shall see. 

Gotta love being right on the edge of a weather system. It's dank and overcast to my east, mostly cloudy overhead and bright and sunny to my west. Judging by the leaves falling the wind id swirling not moving in any particular direction. The cloud bank is fluctuating so sometimes it's bright and (almost) sunny and then a minute later it's dark and gloomy. Pretty cool.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, gravitylover said:

All good! Just a mix of busy periods IRL and not having much to say concerning the weather. You make a good point about seeing things a little differently after that experience of yours. I'm definitely critical as a rule, but I still try to appreciate what I'm given. Like making a point to enjoy whatever snow I see in a torched winter, or finding that one colorful tree amid a sea of beige.

Having said that, foliage is definitely improving throughout my neighborhood in the last couple days. I sent the drone up this evening to take a peek. If the wind stays down, it'll be a nice show. Still lots of green by the river.

v8JVGGY.jpg

• Thanks 1

My tomatoes are still growing but not ripening. I'm thinking that I need to pull them and bring them in where it doesn't get so cold overnight to finish. Peppers are doing great too and carrots are still cruising along. All of my lettuce went to seed but there's one nice garlic clove left.

Nice and crisp out there right now, this afternoon was awesome in the woods. Man is it dry out there but strangely the reservoirs are still bank full. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I must admit, some of the sugar maples in my neck of the woods have turned vibrant over the past few days, wonder how much will be left though after the next couple of days though...

Its been raining leaves the last few hours...even full green trees arent looking so great and the rain hasnt started yet. Guess my hope for not having to rake till after halloween isnt gonna happen.

Just now, BxEngine said:

Its been raining leaves the last few hours...even full green trees arent looking so great and the rain hasnt started yet. Guess my hope for not having to rake till after halloween isnt gonna happen.

In my yard I've lost about half the leaves, if not a bit more, I've been mulching them with the mower.  The maples I have that went to seed this fall dropped their leaves first, I haven't paid attention to this in the past, is it typical for maples that seed in the fall to loose their leaves first?  Anyone?  Bueller?