Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Around the park

8C69AD83-A379-4BEA-8F21-B282A8D93C41.jpeg

3CDC62CB-5B1D-4F07-8A2C-C169D876E730.jpeg

Thank you I.B. I closed my eyes and I was there. I could feel the dew as I walked, breathed and was caressed by the morning mists. The chance of actually being there is long gone. Dreams are easy and wonderful. It’s the waking that is difficult. As always .....

1 minute ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

40 for a low here. Forecast high is for 72 today. At 1 pm stiitig at 64. Might bust on the low side today. As for rain totals, 0.43 for the month so far. Ground is rock hard and some leaves are falling from lack of water.

I have to check my rain total for the month later but the Wallkill is really slow and low.

Foliage is starting out strong all around the northeast so far. There is a lot of early leaf drop though. I noticed that started a while ago though, some trees started thinning by mid July after it dried out here, not so much in places that stayed average for rainfall. I think it had something to do with just how wet the previous 20 months had been.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, Hitman said:

Crickets.  I picked up a whopping .06" the other day to bring the monthly total to to 1.06".  Trails are bone dry.  Been noticing a large volume of acorns, for what that's worth.  Its really been a pleasure having the windows open and ac off in the house.

Yeah the woods are super dry, it's not just dusty it's sandy now and in places that are frequently wet the ground is cracked and split. Most small creeks are nearly gone too and the bigger ones are just a trickle.  I haven't been riding outside the LHV recently so it's just anecdotal but from pictures it looks like we have more leaves down here than pretty much anywhere else but the foliage report is showing a few spots up in the 'daks are at 50% or higher at peak color. Yup acorns are overly abundant as are chestnuts and those little spinner things. And what's with the damned swarming around your face gnats?! Those little buggers are really annoying.

On the bug note, did anyone else see that EEE infected mosquitoes were trapped in Orangeburg? At least it's becoming pants season so that bit of protection is good, looking forward to a good hard freeze to put down some of these bugs that have been such a nuisance this year.

That rain the other day was interesting. I got it pretty good here and Yorktown got a good soaking. As you go just a bit further north and east it dwindles quickly. Downtown Brewster got pretty wet but by the time you get to the junction of 684/84 they got very little and exit 1 was the dry line but it did stay wet south of 84 to KDXR, the north side was dry within 200 yards of the road. I ride the trails in there 3 or 4 times a month and it's scary dry, like tinderbox dry while the stuff on the other side of the road is like being in a completely different forest. 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:40 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Euro spitting out a high of 91 at KMGJ on Wednesday followed by a high of 58 on Thursday. That’ll get people talking about the weather. The euro has been over doing the highs though IMO but it’ll still be a big change. 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, IrishRob17 said:

12z has it 88 and then 54 now. 

Looks like today’s high will be 55, occurred around midnight. So it likely winds up 87 and 55 FWIW.  Current temp is 47. 

.15 so far today, 47*. Does this low temp cancel out the highs from the last two days? Yesterday was way too high above average.

Watch out for wet leaves out there today, also watch out for the genius that isn't paying attention sliding into you like happened to a friend of mine about an hour ago and totaled his car for him. 

Yeah probably but the other car hit him sliding sideways. Had it not hit him it would have headed off the road into the woods moving at a pretty good clip. I guess it's a good thing he was in the way :thumbsdown:

.4" and 48*.  It's a good ob, a guy a few blocks away at pretty much the same elevation as me got a weather station that posts on WU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah probably but the other car hit him sliding sideways. Had it not hit him it would have headed off the road into the woods moving at a pretty good clip. I guess it's a good thing he was in the way :thumbsdown:

.4" and 48*.  It's a good ob, a guy a few blocks away at pretty much the same elevation as me got a weather station that posts on WU.

Nice. I got a new Davis VP2 a couple weeks ago. The 24 hour FARS certainly makes a difference here. I typically ran a couple degrees warmer than KMGJ for highs, especially in warmer weather, on the old Davis Vue but I’ve already noticed a couple days I was a degree cooler for highs. I raised up the anemometer so it’s up above the surrounding bushes and tall grass now so I’m actually getting wind speeds now.  In the past I only got them pretty much when the leaves were down. I’ll be getting mine online sometime in the next month or so I’m thinking. 

• Like 2