Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

On 8/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, nycemt123 said:

Almost sounds like prison the way you describe it emoji51.png
Here's one more for ya to plaster onto your cell- wall if the warden lets lol

For the first time in a LONG time, my guesstimates were accurate to almost a T!15414a5c63894206a4b80f8cb249a3c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you, it’s beautiful. Sadly many prisons, are of our own making. In my case the warden always tried to keep me out. As always .... 

• Like 1

Tough to get a nicer late summer day than today but it looks like each of the next few is gonna try. I'm down :) Unfortunately I have to spend the entire week in the car but I will visit over half of the counties in the state so I ought to see some really nice stuff and get to take a ride in some really cool places after work hours so there's that. Now that I finally, after almost 6 weeks, have my car back from recall work getting done at the local Subaru dealer I can travel with my bike again :clap:

My garden is definitely winding down but as that happens I"m coming up with space to plant some quick maturing fall food plants so throw some ideas at me. 

• Like 1

@Snow88 took some heat in the main thread after his comment about the leaves and sunset up here.  Well, the sun doesn't set at 7:15pm, in Orange County today's sunset is 7:37pm but we have lost 35 minutes on the sunset this month to date, with 8/1's sunset time of 8:15pm here.  As far as the leaves, there are definitely changes happening although many wouldn't necessarily recognize the change unless they study the trees all season long.  The leaves now certainly do not look like they did a month ago as they take on that lighter more tired look, the deeper greens of earlier in the growing season are long gone on most of the trees around me.  You always have the younger and/or stressed trees changing early and I've seen some of that.  What has really caught my eye the past couple of days is that the poison ivy has already flipped to red in many spots here.  Granted that poison ivy is one of the first things to turn but I don't recall it changing so early before but that could be because the past two sucky foliage seasons are still stuck in my mind when it took forever for things to change and it wasn't pretty when they did.  Anyone else notice any of this around here?         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

@Snow88 took some heat in the main thread after his comment about the leaves and sunset up here.  Well, the sun doesn't set at 7:15pm, in Orange County today's sunset is 7:37pm but we have lost 35 minutes on the sunset this month to date, with 8/1's sunset time of 8:15pm here.  As far as the leaves, there are definitely changes happening although many wouldn't necessarily recognize the change unless they study the trees all season long.  The leaves now certainly do not look like they did a month ago as they take on that lighter more tired look, the deeper greens of earlier in the growing season are long gone on most of the trees around me.  You always have the younger and/or stressed trees changing early and I've seen some of that.  What has really caught my eye the past couple of days is that the poison ivy has already flipped to red in many spots here.  Granted that poison ivy is one of the first things to turn but I don't recall it changing so early before but that could be because the past two sucky foliage seasons are still stuck in my mind when it took forever for things to change and it wasn't pretty when they did.  Anyone else notice any of this around here?         

Just had that convo with my wife last night about some of the trees. Definitely noticeable, and very noticeable in my garden as well. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I've noticed the trees looking distressed for sure. Some, not all of course, lost their vibrant and rich green color like you mentioned.  As for the sunset, well, that's always the first thing I notice (unfortunately).  The decline into September is inevitable.  I always accept it, but must admit, year after year I get that sad/nostalgic feeling that my favorite season is over.  

A lot of this hobby is preference; what kinds of things you do and don't enjoy.  That's why I've learned to leave good old Anthony alone lol.  I still have no tolerance for wrong information (not saying this applies to him), like when people say Summer is nearly half over a week or two after the solstice.

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Hard to tell from this photo but there are oranges in there, earliest I ever seen those leaves change. 

712FA2C0-1C3A-4A52-B193-46CC2AF4C109.png

I can actually see the orange. Either it’s the power of suggestion or my peepers took a trip down memory lane. As always ....

2 minutes ago, rclab said:

I can actually see the orange. Either it’s the power of suggestion or my peepers took a trip down memory lane. As always ....

I have some at the top of another sugar maple in my yard but it’s even harder to get a photo of that one. A sugar maple in in Goshen outside my office also has orange, it’s crazy.   

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I have some at the top of another sugar maple in my yard but it’s even harder to get a photo of that one. A sugar maple in in Goshen outside my office also has orange, it’s crazy.   

Well done with the lens. The one relatively young maple, tucked in a small space between brick walls to the back of me is still pure green. Considering our UHI effect, it may take awhile to convince the foliage that it’s time. As always ...

Man the Fingerlakes is a pretty part of NY. I need to go back there when I'm not working and take my time moving around rather than being "on a mission". There's also some A level drinking to be done there. I stopped at two breweries, had a great Mexican Lager and a really good Cocoa Porter. Next time it will be wineries and distilleries, they're everywhere. This time of year all the farm stands are chock full of good stuff. It's gonna take a few days for my stomach to return to normal ;)

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Man the Fingerlakes is a pretty part of NY. I need to go back there when I'm not working and take my time moving around rather than being "on a mission". There's also some A level drinking to be done there. I stopped at two breweries, had a great Mexican Lager and a really good Cocoa Porter. Next time it will be wineries and distilleries, they're everywhere. This time of year all the farm stands are chock full of good stuff. It's gonna take a few days for my stomach to return to normal ;)

Natural beauty but also the finger lake towns are really nice too.  The little ones, not the cities.

Surprisingly, unlike most of the small towns in upstate NY, these places in the central Fingerlakes appear to be stronger economically too but it's only on the surface. I learned something new while I was at one of the breweries, did you know that the Amish and Mennonites don't pay any taxes at all? The county where Watkins Glen is happens to be the poorest county in the state because of this. You'd think that with 4 and 5 star resorts, big marinas and one of the premier high dollar racetracks in the country that wouldn't be the case but... Some of the neighboring areas are right behind them too. Nearly 60% of the population contributes nothing and whatever money goes into those "communities" never comes out. Some of them even track things to the Nth degree and get the gas taxes they pay back when they file, not just the gasoline but the diesel for the farm equipment and what little electricity they use to run their farms and lumber mills as well as sales taxes paid on everything else they use (which probably isn't much). I think when I'm up there in the future I will go out of my way to not stop at their farm stands and not go to their businesses because it seems to me that if you're going to take advantage of things like having roads (to ride your buggies on at 2mph) and getting the roads plowed and maintained and all of the other services that are provided by the State and local municipalities you should pay your fair share not just be a drain. 

46 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Surprisingly, unlike most of the small towns in upstate NY, these places in the central Fingerlakes appear to be stronger economically too but it's only on the surface. I learned something new while I was at one of the breweries, did you know that the Amish and Mennonites don't pay any taxes at all? The county where Watkins Glen is happens to be the poorest county in the state because of this. You'd think that with 4 and 5 star resorts, big marinas and one of the premier high dollar racetracks in the country that wouldn't be the case but... Some of the neighboring areas are right behind them too. Nearly 60% of the population contributes nothing and whatever money goes into those "communities" never comes out. Some of them even track things to the Nth degree and get the gas taxes they pay back when they file, not just the gasoline but the diesel for the farm equipment and what little electricity they use to run their farms and lumber mills as well as sales taxes paid on everything else they use (which probably isn't much). I think when I'm up there in the future I will go out of my way to not stop at their farm stands and not go to their businesses because it seems to me that if you're going to take advantage of things like having roads (to ride your buggies on at 2mph) and getting the roads plowed and maintained and all of the other services that are provided by the State and local municipalities you should pay your fair share not just be a drain. 

Why is that?  Do they have ownership of their enterprises in religious non profit entities?

i don’t know anything about the underlying economics of the region but those small towns appear to be in good shape as opposed to the Catskills region where the towns look like Appalachia.

I don't understand the details but yes it's based on religion. The cleanliness and nice look are due to the strong work ethic not dollars in the kitty. I think it also has to do with the state and municipalities tossing what money they do have at keeping things looking good and functioning well so that tourism dollars keep flowing unlike the Catskills where nobody seems to give a hoot anymore. The towns on the periphery other than Ithaca and Corning, especially the southern end are pretty ratty. Olean and Bath are meth addled and crumbling, even the college towns are really rough under the surface.

55 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I don't understand the details but yes it's based on religion. The cleanliness and nice look are due to the strong work ethic not dollars in the kitty. I think it also has to do with the state and municipalities tossing what money they do have at keeping things looking good and functioning well so that tourism dollars keep flowing unlike the Catskills where nobody seems to give a hoot anymore. The towns on the periphery other than Ithaca and Corning, especially the southern end are pretty ratty. Olean and Bath are meth addled and crumbling, even the college towns are really rough under the surface.

That’s how Ithaca was when I was there 30 years ago but now it’s gentrified with a bunch of new hotels, restaurants breweries and what not.  Still not the hamptons or anything, but nice.

• Like 1

IMG_0176.GIF

Mesoscale Discussion 1924
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1019 AM CDT Wed Sep 04 2019

Areas affected...Portions of Central/Eastern NY...VT...NH...Western
   ME...MA...CT...and Far Northeast PA

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 041519Z - 041715Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Increasing thunderstorm coverage is anticipated over the
   next several hours. Damaging wind gusts are the primary severe
   threat but a couple tornadoes are also possible. A watch will
   eventually be needed for portions of the region.

DISCUSSION...Recent surface analysis places a cold front from SLK
   (in far northern NY) southwestward across central NY to just east of
   BFD (in far north-central PA). Radar trends have shown gradually
   increasing intensity of the cells along the front in south-central
   NY as they move into a diurnally destabilizing and modestly buoyant
   air mass downstream. Ongoing moisture advection has lead to an 2-4
   degree increase in dewpoints downstream across the Hudson Valley and
   this general trends is expected to continue, leading to air-mass
   destabilization ahead of the front as far north as northeast NY, VT,
   NH, and western ME. 

At the same time, strengthening large-scale forcing for ascent
   attendant to the shortwave trough moving into the Northeast will
   augment the frontal forcing already occurring. The combination of
   this increased forcing for ascent and air-mass destabilization is
   expected to result in expanding thunderstorm coverage over the next
   few hours. Even with the modest buoyancy, strong vertical shear will
   provide a kinematic environment supportive of organized storms.
   Primary threat will be damaging wind gusts associated with bowing
   line segments. However, given the southerly flow across southeastern
   NY and southern New England, some tornado threat also exists,
   especially with any more discrete cells ahead of the front. A watch
   will likely be needed by early afternoon, particularly over eastern
   NY and New England.

.2" and a little bit of wind, nothing special at all. I left a bunch of stuff outside and ran out to get a few things done and when I got home they hadn't even soaked through and the piece of styrofoam on the roof of the car didn't blow off. Another dud... Hopefully the cool front is more effective, it's steamy out there now.

Feels like fall and it's starting to look like it too. Trees are responding to the cool, dry weather we've been having and the forest is in a very different state than it was just 10 days ago. My garden is definitely in fall mode. Julian if you're going to be down this way let me know, I'd love for you to come get a look at what I have for a garden and how to make it better next year. You are way more knowledgeable about this stuff than me. I just wing it and hope for the best but I'd really like to get more serious and see some real yields for all the effort I put into it and this is the time to get it ready for the next round.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:38 PM, gravitylover said:

Feels like fall and it's starting to look like it too. Trees are responding to the cool, dry weather we've been having and the forest is in a very different state than it was just 10 days ago. My garden is definitely in fall mode. Julian if you're going to be down this way let me know, I'd love for you to come get a look at what I have for a garden and how to make it better next year. You are way more knowledgeable about this stuff than me. I just wing it and hope for the best but I'd really like to get more serious and see some real yields for all the effort I put into it and this is the time to get it ready for the next round.

Is your garden under trees too?  Maybe @Juliancolton can help you site a rain gauge in the garden as well? :bike:

Actually most of it is somewhat shaded. Some time this winter I'm hoping to be able to take down a few more trees and get the yard opened up some. Kinda like the Central Park site, everything has grown up around the place and needs to be taken down. We got a good start last year and now it's time to finish the job.

• Like 1