SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

Sooooo for today, I've got a choice of going:

A - Kayaking in Peekskill

B - hiking at Palisades State Park

(I took a few days vaca for unwinding/selfcare). Of COURSE, the kayaking at Peekskill doesn't open until 12pm...

My question - which of the two areas/activities would be less of a concern in terms of storm-timing for today? I'm thinking it won't hit until around 4pm or so.
If I'm miscalculating and it hits earlier, where do you think will give me the best show from my car if I get caught off-guard?

***Summarized question: What's the timing for today's storm & is more CTG predicted around Peekskill or around Englewood?***

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nycemt123 said:

(I took a few days vaca for unwinding/selfcare). Of COURSE, the kayaking at Peekskill doesn't open until 12pm...

My question - which of the two areas/activities would be less of a concern in terms of storm-timing for today? I'm thinking it won't hit until around 4pm or so.
If I'm miscalculating and it hits earlier, where do you think will give me the best show from my car if I get caught off-guard?

***Summarized question: What's the timing for today's storm & is more CTG predicted around Peekskill or around Englewood?***

Well it looks like the first line of storms is close, really close so maybe you'll get lucky and there won't be a second line. It also sort of looks like the southern ends of the region won't be affected by the first line so maybe head south and do some stuff now.

1 hour ago, nycemt123 said:

are you looking at kayaking from annseville circle?  note that there is also a rental place at the croton train station to kayak on the croton river.  also one at croton point park but not sure thats operating on weekdays.

anywhere along the peekskill waterfront would be a great vantage point for storms.

radar looks like something coming through now and then clearing thereafter.

The line moved through already. It drizzled for about 15 minutes. The street is already dry and I have to go water the garden.
Yeah... was just enough to kill plans for today and I ended up right in between the cells. Oh well, there's always another day!

Yeah... was just enough to kill plans for today and I ended up right in between the cells. Oh well, there's always another day!

Did it!! It's absolutely heavenly out here at Anne Circle. Ir at least that's where I started. Not a clue where I'm up to already (seems to be a silver cell-tower about 200 yards to my right. Intersection & construction equipment directly ahead of me about 50ft or so. Water is calm. Light breeze. 88° out.
Fluffy clouds up ahead rolling in.
Absolutely perfect out.
I'm currently at peace.
Definitely feeling good about a great cell hitting here after I get back to dock!3d499b671545df02270afe1b04ea38d2.jpg69777fd44d4320c8c5749f05b8a0a654.jpgfb96b33abafe181f79f44eb0d15b80ea.jpgb31d053ef544ea238a9c6c65d8c68587.jpg65b8df2f9a496754cccc99309f147350.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soupy mess out there today. I definitely need to mow but I also like not being on the brink of heatstroke, so we'll see how far I get on that today. Should be blissful with dews in the 50s and a stiff north breeze when I head up to the fair tomorrow.
I actually am enjoying the humidity very much right now lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

Did it!! It's absolutely heavenly out here at Anne Circle. Ir at least that's where I started. Not a clue where I'm up to already (seems to be a silver cell-tower about 200 yards to my right. Intersection & construction equipment directly ahead of me about 50ft or so. Water is calm. Light breeze. 88° out.
Fluffy clouds up ahead rolling in.
Absolutely perfect out.
I'm currently at peace.
Definitely feeling good about a great cell hitting here after I get back to dock!3d499b671545df02270afe1b04ea38d2.jpg69777fd44d4320c8c5749f05b8a0a654.jpgfb96b33abafe181f79f44eb0d15b80ea.jpgb31d053ef544ea238a9c6c65d8c68587.jpg65b8df2f9a496754cccc99309f147350.jpg

I glance at the brick, the cement, the bars on my ground floor back windows, look at the struggling ailanthus (city stink tree) look at your pictures, breath in deep and dream. Based on my own tree rings, that’s a max cap fantasy. As always ....

I glance at the brick, the cement, the bars on my ground floor back windows, look at the struggling ailanthus (city stink tree) look at your pictures, breath in deep and dream. Based on my own tree rings, that’s a max cap fantasy. As always ....
Almost sounds like prison the way you describe it
Here's one more for ya to plaster onto your cell- wall if the warden lets lol

For the first time in a LONG time, my guesstimates were accurate to almost a T!15414a5c63894206a4b80f8cb249a3c4.jpg

• Thanks 1

75/74 here with light rain.  .32” in the bucket.

i decided at about 3:30 to leave the Bronx and head home for a bike ride.  In the clear until Hawthorne where skies blackened.  By the time I hit briarcliff it was pouring.  So I waited it out and rode at 5.  Little soupy and wet but a good ride nonetheless.

driving to Ithaca tomorrow and looking forward to some nice dry cool weather.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

75/74 here with light rain.  .32” in the bucket.

i decided at about 3:30 to leave the Bronx and head home for a bike ride.  In the clear until Hawthorne where skies blackened.  By the time I hit briarcliff it was pouring.  So I waited it out and rode at 5.  Little soupy and wet but a good ride nonetheless.

driving to Ithaca tomorrow and looking forward to some nice dry cool weather.

Bring the mt bike! There's some great riding between here and there. For local details talk to the guys at Old Goat Gear Exchange in downtown Ithaca or Anthony at Chenango Point Cycles in Binghamton. I'm thinking you're not going to get to do that though, you're probably taking your kid to school right?

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Bring the mt bike! There's some great riding between here and there. For local details talk to the guys at Old Goat Gear Exchange in downtown Ithaca or Anthony at Chenango Point Cycles in Binghamton. I'm thinking you're not going to get to do that though, you're probably taking your kid to school right?

Exactly.  I’ve biked shindigsn hollow in Ithaca a bunch of times as well as a few places around bgm where my son went to school.  Car is stuffed with her gear.  If i have any free time, and I should, I’ll hike a gorge, preferably the one at Treman state park.  They’re all spectacular, but treman, I think, has the best trail setup.  Pics below from my last visit in June.

Up to .63” here and 4.24” on the month.

55BF684C-8238-4032-BE1D-3EE48486B5FE.jpeg

B7FFD999-22D1-41AC-8156-F7610FCCC815.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

One mile north of me the station has .12 and a 2 miles south its .21. Who knows, I might just hit 1 inch for the 30 day period ending today before the complex finally moves out.

AcuRite 00850A2 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3IMP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q68xDb093FZJV

9 hours ago, Hitman said:

Exactly.  I’ve biked shindigin hollow in Ithaca a bunch of times as well as a few places around bgm where my son went to school.  Car is stuffed with her gear.  If i have any free time, and I should, I’ll hike a gorge, preferably the one at Treman state park.  They’re all spectacular, but treman, I think, has the best trail setup.  Pics below from my last visit in June.

Up to .63” here and 4.24” on the month.

55BF684C-8238-4032-BE1D-3EE48486B5FE.jpeg

B7FFD999-22D1-41AC-8156-F7610FCCC815.jpeg

I've done Buttermilk but will have to do this next time, it looks great.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

AcuRite 00850A2 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3IMP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q68xDb093FZJV

So which trees do I cut down to make an open space for a decent weather station and how do I convince the neighbors they need to also to accommodate my fetish? There's only one open spot on the whole property and that's right down near the street so the wife nixed that idea years ago. I just don't think that under a leaf canopy (in the summer) and blocked by wind all year is the right situation. That one open spot gets scoured by wind in the winter because of it's ENE orientation and that would make for some very inaccurate readings. Some properties just aren't conducive to getting good information so I use from others in the area and make the best of it. Snowfall amounts are a little easier without the leaf canopy and being blocked from the wind isn't the worst thing because it settles nicely, granted there is probably some blow in from more exposed areas but I don't think it's too much to throw the numbers off much.

The drive up to Ithaca is gorgeous. I'd recommend going a little out of the way and heading into Horse Head's (it's a "suburb" of Elmira). Lots of rolling and beautiful scenic landscape.
Got one of my best sunset shots there at the shopping center's parking lot - attached.

Enjoy!ee7210f9774182b5aeacf4eb1e4fbbed.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I've done Buttermilk but will have to do this next time, it looks great.

So which trees do I cut down to make an open space for a decent weather station and how do I convince the neighbors they need to also to accommodate my fetish? There's only one open spot on the whole property and that's right down near the street so the wife nixed that idea years ago. I just don't think that under a leaf canopy (in the summer) and blocked by wind all year is the right situation. That one open spot gets scoured by wind in the winter because of it's ENE orientation and that would make for some very inaccurate readings. Some properties just aren't conducive to getting good information so I use from others in the area and make the best of it. Snowfall amounts are a little easier without the leaf canopy and being blocked from the wind isn't the worst thing because it settles nicely, granted there is probably some blow in from more exposed areas but I don't think it's too much to throw the numbers off much.

Don’t stress Big G. Follow the CPK lead. Put it anywhere. As always ......