Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My pond is in bad shape this year, but the current weather has little to do with it. The inflow stream got all messed up in the October '05 flooding, and it's been depositing silt into the pond ever since. Then the Tax Day flood started the dam breaking up, with that process nearing its completion. Sad to see after being a thriving fishing hole for at least a century.

That sucks, no way to save it?

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My pond is in bad shape this year, but the current weather has little to do with it. The inflow stream got all messed up in the October '05 flooding, and it's been depositing silt into the pond ever since. Then the Tax Day flood started the dam breaking up, with that process nearing its completion. Sad to see after being a thriving fishing hole for at least a century.

Interesting.  My neighbor upstream had a swimming hole that was allowed to fill in with silt such that it is now mostly marsh and swamp.  I've always wondered what it would cost to dredge something like that.  I would think it would take an excavator a couple few days to dig plus whatever to haul and dump the mud.  Is that 10k, 100k, 500k?

the big dam on the pond/lake abutting my property was recently rebuilt with concrete and that thing isnt going anywhere.  great fishing in there if anyones interested.  can't swim in it because of snapping turtles.

I've inquired with a few people, and the consensus has been that when waterways are involved (as opposed to closed bodies of water on your own property), it's a long and expensive process to get DEC approval/oversight. I haven't gotten anything like an official quote, but as best I can tell the whole project would be on the order of six figures. The pond definitely adds value to the property, but I doubt I'd recoup a hundred stacks or more come selling time.

Yeah now that it's silted in your probably SOL as far as restoring it as a pond but the DEC should be amenable to the stream being restored because that flow is important in a variety of ways. They may even take a look and see what happened upstream and choose to do a full stream restoration at pretty much no cost to you. I've seen it happen several times relating to storm damage. It's possible they'd determine that the pond is also important to regulate that flow so they may choose to do a partial restoration. It might be worth contacting them to see what they say.

I was up in the Albany area today, started in Kingston this morning. At that point the weather was beautiful but storm clouds were starting to build over the high peaks. By the time I got to Albany around noon there were storms starting to roll around the Catskills and Adirondacks. When I left the north side of the metro area around 4:30 it was stormy just to the west and it followed me all the way to the Taconic. It drizzled for a minute up in Columbia County but that was it. They got another good soaking from about I90 north though. 

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I've inquired with a few people, and the consensus has been that when waterways are involved (as opposed to closed bodies of water on your own property), it's a long and expensive process to get DEC approval/oversight. I haven't gotten anything like an official quote, but as best I can tell the whole project would be on the order of six figures. The pond definitely adds value to the property, but I doubt I'd recoup a hundred stacks or more come selling time.

I’d have to agree, although this particular area is completely within my neighbors property.  They own the land on both sides of the stream, as do I just downstream from there.  This area didn’t just fill in with silt, there were some major flooding events that did the majority of the filling in, especially Floyd (I think that was the one).  Tons of rock and gravel were deposited in there from the gravel road which runs by the stream.  I’d think the carting away and disposal of the mud would be the most significant part of the cost.  

You can see the erstwhile swimming hole in this google map image circled in black.  When the stream floods, all the gravel from the road circled in blue gets carried into the pond.

3BB8C262-38DB-4849-8078-C9C7579E5935.jpeg

16 hours ago, Hitman said:

I’d have to agree, although this particular area is completely within my neighbors property.  They own the land on both sides of the stream, as do I just downstream from there.  This area didn’t just fill in with silt, there were some major flooding events that did the majority of the filling in, especially Floyd (I think that was the one).  Tons of rock and gravel were deposited in there from the gravel road which runs by the stream.  I’d think the carting away and disposal of the mud would be the most significant part of the cost.  

You can see the erstwhile swimming hole in this google map image circled in black.  When the stream floods, all the gravel from the road circled in blue gets carried into the pond.

What an awful setup that is.

19 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah now that it's silted in your probably SOL as far as restoring it as a pond but the DEC should be amenable to the stream being restored because that flow is important in a variety of ways. They may even take a look and see what happened upstream and choose to do a full stream restoration at pretty much no cost to you. I've seen it happen several times relating to storm damage. It's possible they'd determine that the pond is also important to regulate that flow so they may choose to do a partial restoration. It might be worth contacting them to see what they say.

I was up in the Albany area today, started in Kingston this morning. At that point the weather was beautiful but storm clouds were starting to build over the high peaks. By the time I got to Albany around noon there were storms starting to roll around the Catskills and Adirondacks. When I left the north side of the metro area around 4:30 it was stormy just to the west and it followed me all the way to the Taconic. It drizzled for a minute up in Columbia County but that was it. They got another good soaking from about I90 north though. 

Agree with you on contacting the DEC first. They might have some kind of funding that can be applied from past storms or super clean ups .  It's easy to say cut the tree down and you can't put it back up (as an example).

You can't risk doing it  under the radar and pissing off someone up or down stream and them calling in the DEC. You could be slapped with a bunch of fines and legal headaches.

4 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Agree with you on contacting the DEC first. They might have some kind of funding that can be applied from past storms or super clean ups .  It's easy to say cut the tree down and you can't put it back up (as an example).

You can't risk doing it  under the radar and pissing off someone up or down stream and them calling in the DEC. You could be slapped with a bunch of fines and legal headaches.

There’s no way to do this surreptitiously.  It’s right by a significant roadway intersection.

This is pretty wild, almost the entire northeast is gonna get wet at some point today with some areas getting totally soaked. The front has already broken up as it is getting to me and it's dry outside with lightning off in the distance. The backside storm line is already collapsing to the southeast and looks like it's going to miss me entirely too. Dry begets dry... 

On 8/16/2019 at 5:37 PM, IrishRob17 said:

@Juliancolton, when I get back in the office at the end of the month I’ll walk down the hall and talk to some folks and see if I can get you some info/contacts. 

I'd really appreciate that, thanks! It would be great to get properly informed before I decide how to move forward with it. At some point, the second-hand anecdotes reach a limit in their usefulness... 

Pretty crazy photo of the flooding down there. NC 12 must spend more time underwater than any other highway in the world. It's incredible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Oh and I’m told I had 1.25” in 30 minutes at home, washed out the driveway yet again. 

Had .64 last night in a little over an hour and .59 tonight in about 2 hours. Well needed absorbed rain here but without your unfortunate washout rate. Enjoy your time down there.

• Like 1