• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

While it doesn't look like we got much in the LHV it did soak things down nicely. I drove a fair piece of the state yesterday.  It started raining on the Taconic at 7:20 and pretty much didn't stop the rest of the 500 miles I covered. It was raining in Old Forge and NW of there, poured in Utica and down through the eastern Fingerlakes and all the way through the Catskills. On the plus side everything is super green and lush.

Looks like a warm one coming up the next few days. 

9 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Jackpot today, just missed out on matching the monthly total. 0.21 in the bucket  now up to 0.43 for the month 

.33 two day total with light rain still falling, got crushed...at least the ground is a bit softer for the heavier rains expected later...oh wait, never mind. 

46 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

The earthworms are spitting out dust. They will be jumping on tumbleweeds and heading out of town this weekend. :scooter:

After last nights deluge all of mine are singing “ What do you do with a drunken sailor”. As always ....

I must say though, after mocking the lack of rainfall totals there's been a heavy mist/light rain across parts of Orange County all morning which won't add up to inches of rain but certainly appears to be beneficial.  It would be interesting to read a study on rainfall rates and the benefits to grasses and plants.  What I'm getting at is this softer smaller drop rain is soaking in versus a 20 minutes deluge on rock hard ground with a lot of it running off.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Epic summer night out there. So comfortable. 

A local hiking guide I know was talking about how, even in the worst heat waves for upstate NY/WNE, you really only suffer for 8 hours of peak heating out of 24. I would extend that a little bit but if you can stay up until 9 or 10 pm, it really does get pretty nice. 

It rare that I don’t get below at least 70 for a low although this last week was one of those times. That said, while it was hot, I don’t believe there were any record highs set here.

It was hot but not unbearable. I didn't spend too much time out in direct sunlight though, I'm still too smart to do that :)  In the woods and in the yard it was alright, windows open in the car as often as AC on was nice enough. Ehh... summer. My wife and kidz don't agree :lol:  Looks like today gets wet and it turns nice for a few days. Good, things are a bit dry and hard and need to be softened up. 

My garden has been marginally happy this year. Some things are decent but most aren't nearly as productive as I'd hoped. I don't know enough about this stuff but I'm learning. Creating good food that's good for us is a pretty good motivator to get better at it.

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

It rare that I don’t get below at least 70 for a low although this last week was one of those times. That said, while it was hot, I don’t believe there were any record highs set here.

Yeah, sultry mins but meh highs. Such is life when we do the dew.

The latest HRRR says most of us erase our monthly precip deficit in the next 18 hours. How nice would that be.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The latest HRRR says most of us erase our monthly precip deficit in the next 18 hours. How nice would that be.

Yeah? I'm not feeling it and if I squint and tilt my head to the left when I'm looking at the radar I can see it moving north of east and sliding by to my north and west. I kind of like the way I'm seeing it :) but I guess if it's going to clear out again after I'm ok with it.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, sultry mins but meh highs. Such is life when we do the dew.

KMGJ, just a couple miles north of me, picked up .19" yesterday in a passing storm, I got zilch.  

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
141 PM EDT Mon Jul 22 2019

PAZ048-221830-
Pike PA-
141 PM EDT Mon Jul 22 2019

...STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT...PIKE COUNTY UNTIL 230 PM EDT...

At 138 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over
Pecks Pond, or 13 miles west of Montague, moving east at 25 mph.

Strong wind gusts will be possible with this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Port Jervis, Bushkill, Shohola, Matamoras, Milford, Greeley, Pecks
Pond, Dingmans Ferry, Millrift and Twin Lakes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Heavy rainfall is also occurring with this storm, and may lead to
minor flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with this storm.
Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe
shelter inside a building or vehicle.

&&