Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

One of the Euro runs posted earlier this week had me in a dry slot of only .30” or so and I figured at least that was something and better than nothing...I got less than a third of that...

Yeah I drove through your area and it was barely wet compared to areas just a bit further east. West of you it was dry. There were some wonderful towers and cloud formations but almost entirely over the higher terrain so Rt 17 was dry the whole way. That Canadian smoke though WOW. The light was so muted and understated for the last 3 days in upstate and western NY but the glare was intense. Sometimes it was almost too dark for sunglasses but you needed them to deal with the glare.

If you haven't been to far western NY you need to go, the place is beautiful. There's nothing out there, a few neat small towns and a whole bunch of quiet with some fun roads to drive. Ellicotville is neat and worth a few days of brewery visits, mt biking and fishing. It's a mountain town without real mountains and a great outdoorsy vibe.

• Like 1

@DRVTS check your pm's.

I wasn't home while it was raining yesterday but my wife said it came down pretty hard for a while. Today we got a heavy t-storm, no lightning but a few good rumbles and a few minutes of crazy heavy rain. Looks like it was ~.3" combines for the 2 days.

It sure does feel summery now doesn't it? After another long, cool, wet spring I didn't think it would ever get here. Things have dried out pretty nicely but, man, the undergrowth is for real this year.

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Heavy heavy fireflies. Getting destroyed currently. 

I saw one, finally, in my Cobble Hill Red Hook back yard. One lone light in the evening dusk. I stood there, thinking back 65 years wondering where have you all gone to. As always .....

4 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Same here, last summer i tried explaining to my kids how the backyard looked when i was their age...the last few nights they have been everywhere. 

It's hard to put it into words when they're really going crazy. Closest thing is camera flashes at major sporting events (though I'm not sure that's as big a thing now that more people are learning their on-board flash doesn't reach 700 feet down to the field), but you're totally immersed in it.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The last time I recorded more than .25” was 6/21 when I received .41”. Since 6/21 I have a total .53”. We dry. 

My beach vacation isn't until the end of August so we may have quite a wait before the next rainy week.

44 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yes, otherwise I would’ve died already. My getting destroyed moment was a mocking of weenies who always overstate the snowfall rates “getting plastered” “getting destroyed” when visibility is at 3 miles. 

Ohhhhh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's hard to put it into words when they're really going crazy. Closest thing is camera flashes at major sporting events (though I'm not sure that's as big a thing now that more people are learning their on-board flash doesn't reach 700 feet down to the field), but you're totally immersed in it.

My beach vacation isn't until the end of August so we may have quite a wait before the next rainy week.

Its mesmorizing, especially watching it as they are in sync across a field, its almost a wave of light. First time i see them every summer its instant nostalgia to about 11 years old for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's the same here. I haven't mowed in a couple weeks, and while a few areas are a little unkempt, I could definitely get away with just letting it be until we get some wet wx again.

Same here too. Ground is rock hard now, gave up watering the lawn a week ago. Just watering the flowers and garden. With the upcoming torch this weekend, it would be senseless to water the lawn. Also not many trees to provide shade.  Rain total for the month so far here is a whopping 0.22 in the Davis. :sun:

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You'd rather it was cold, wet and dreary? This is perfect for heavy yard work just think of all the water weight you're losing to sweat and evaporation. I'm down 3 pounds in the last few days.

I feel like framing cold and dreary as the only alternative to >100F heat indices is something of a false dichotomy... :P

• Haha 1