Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

They do issue one-time permits for the Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association to hold their monthly meetups there, so the short answer is yes, although I believe it's only for groups and needs to be approved some time in advance. As far as I'm aware, there's no corresponding (official) avenue for individuals to obtain the same special privileges. Light pollution will handily eliminate Milky Way viewing in the Hudson Valley within the next 5-10 years, so it'll soon be less of a pressing issue for me.

Between the dust and the pollen, I don't even have to walk when I go outside anymore... just stand with my back toward the direction of travel and let my sneezes propel me.

How sad, the thought of a diminished star field, an unintended victim of us. I remember a May spring night. I and couple of school chums were sitting on boulders in a Johnson County field just south of the Ozark National Forest. It was 1968 and a warm tranquil clear night. No beer. Johnson County was a Dry County. No girls because, even though it was Friday the girls dorm curfew still kicked in at 8:30pm. I beLieve Saturday went to 9:30 and Sunday was rolled back to 7:30 with chaperoned parlor visiting privileges for a little longer .You don’t want to ask about Mon to Thur. We just watched the star show Having grown up in the Dyer Heights, Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton neighborhoods of Brooklyn stargazing was not a memorable experience, except on July 4th, depending on which of us was able to get the best stuff. To this day I’m still surprised I can count to ten using both hands. The star gazing in that Ark field will never be forgotten, I even viewed my first shooting stars. They were frequent, it seemed to me. I recall seeing two cross. Sad to lose that to progress but it won’t be denied. Rather than squawking about it I should try to transport these old bones to place where I might see it again. At least I can still sit in the dark, close my eyes and remember. As always ....

15 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Between the dust and the pollen, I don't even have to walk when I go outside anymore... just stand with my back toward the direction of travel and let my sneezes propel me.

Cracked soil, clouds of dust and pollen while mowing the sunny spots of the yard... dry begets dry...

17 hours ago, rclab said:

How sad, the thought of a diminished star field, an unintended victim of us. I remember a May spring night. I and couple of school chums were sitting on boulders in a Johnson County field just south of the Ozark National Forest. It was 1968 and a warm tranquil clear night. No beer. Johnson County was a Dry County. No girls because, even though it was Friday the girls dorm curfew still kicked in at 8:30pm. I beLieve Saturday went to 9:30 and Sunday was rolled back to 7:30 with chaperoned parlor visiting privileges for a little longer .You don’t want to ask about Mon to Thur. We just watched the star show Having grown up in the Dyer Heights, Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton neighborhoods of Brooklyn stargazing was not a memorable experience, except on July 4th, depending on which of us was able to get the best stuff. To this day I’m still surprised I can count to ten using both hands. The star gazing in that Ark field will never be forgotten, I even viewed my first shooting stars. They were frequent, it seemed to me. I recall seeing two cross. Sad to lose that to progress but it won’t be denied. Rather than squawking about it I should try to transport these old bones to place where I might see it again. At least I can still sit in the dark, close my eyes and remember. As always ....

South East Arizona would bring it all back for you.  In fact, there is a whole astronomy community near the Chiricahuas, along the road to Portal, with many homes built around observatories.

No lights, no clouds, just you and the stars in the desert.

36 minutes ago, etudiant said:

South East Arizona would bring it all back for you.  In fact, there is a whole astronomy community near the Chiricahuas, along the road to Portal, with many homes built around observatories.

No lights, no clouds, just you and the stars in the desert.

A good place to see creations palette, thank you. As always .....

A wet week ahead?

Some of the big time dark places I've been around the continent have been pretty impressive. The deep desert and the Yukon/NW Territories are unbelievably dark and have some of the most incredible night skies you can imagine. I camped out at a bunch of Anasazi ruins around AZ when I lived down there and they were crazy dark if it was cloudy, can't see your hand in front of your face kind of dark when you're out in the open. 

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Local stations are all between ~1.2 and ~1.7 so far and it's still coming down steadily. Some of the downpours were rally heavy, my garden took a beating :( 

The sun will come out... Saturday? I just want Sunday to be nice at Citi Field.

1.47 is the total here. Forecast is sunny and 80 for Sunday down in flushing. Hope it holds true for you:sun:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The outdoor humidity sensor on my Davis Vue is on the fritz...this is the excuse I’ve been looking for for years now. My kids are off on there own now....Pro 2 here I come sometime before winter certainly. 

Prepare to be disappointed. Very few really dedicated suppliers have survived the wave of cheaper imports.

I don't know whom I would trust to deliver a reliable system today.  

7 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Prepare to be disappointed. Very few really dedicated suppliers have survived the wave of cheaper imports.

I don't know whom I would trust to deliver a reliable system today.  

I got my first Davis, the old Weather Monitor II, in the mid to late 90’s and the replaced that with the Vue in 2011 I believe. Neither one of those disappointed me, solid units that were calibrated well. The only issue that I had with the Vue is the radiation shield, a few days a year, under certain conditions, the temp would run high. 

10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I got my first Davis, the old Weather Monitor II, in the mid to late 90’s and the replaced that with the Vue in 2011 I believe. Neither one of those disappointed me, solid units that were calibrated well. The only issue that I had with the Vue is the radiation shield, a few days a year, under certain conditions, the temp would run high. 

I picked up my Davis 6250 vantage vue in the fall of 2015. I shouldn't talk now but haven't had any issues. Just changed the batteries every fall. I see the price now is 299 on Amazon. It's actually a few bucks cheaper than when I bought it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I picked up my Davis 6250 vantage vue in the fall of 2015. I shouldn't talk now but haven't had any issues. Just changed the batteries every fall. I see the price now is 299 on Amazon. It's actually a few bucks cheaper than when I bought it.

If I recall correctly, the humidity sensor is what went on the old station too but only after several years of solid performance, just replacing the batteries as needed. 

35 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm still using my Vantage Pro that I got in 2003...I've replaced the temp- humidity sensor, the rain gage and the anemometer, once during those 16 years...I think I've only needed to replace the battery in the iss, a couple of times. Not a fan of the all in one units like the vue...Definitely  go with the Vantage Pro 2 if you can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doncat said:

I'm still using my Vantage Pro that I got in 2003...I've replaced the temp- humidity sensor, the rain gage and the anemometer, once during those 16 years...I think I've only needed to replace the battery in the iss, a couple of times. Not a fan of the all in one units like the vue...Definitely  go with the Vantage Pro 2 if you can.

Oh I will, just a matter of when and you pointed out another advantage of the Pro2, being able to replace parts when needed. I like being able to add do it as well if I chose. 

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I just have too

3D02DCB4-3FEC-4759-A065-4D0E8E6F1F34.png

The thing is when you're driving and can't see much because it's raining so hard you don't know what's about to happen until it happens. It's not like you're going to stop and sit in the road waiting for the heaviest rain to pass and you can't really just pull into someones driveway so you keep going.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

----

NWS Eastern Region Headquarters, Bohemia, NY — On the heels of a years-long campaign to keep motorists out of hazardous flooding situations, the NWS has acknowledged its folly in attempting to craft a mnemonic device without first consulting someone who knows even the first thing about rhyming. This conspicuous oversight doomed the previous disaster mitigation mantra – Turn Around, Don't Drown – to a fate of universal mockery and defiance. No longer content to endure merciless derision from our own families, we set about to overhaul our flash flood guidance. After conferring with America's finest psychologists, first responders, and wise-asses in lifted pickup trucks, the NWS is proud to announce its new Tweet-optimized flash flooding tagline:

Go Fast, Create A Bow Wave

• Haha 2