• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

I gave up on nearly all organized sports years ago. I barely pay attention to the pro levels of the sports I do partake in. I enjoy watching pro tennis, play golf but get bored watching it and sometimes I'll watch a bike race but more to see the area they're in than because I give a hoot about the race. Competitive skiing is fun to watch but most other winter sports bore me. Basically I like the individual sports and team sports are annoying.

Not much rain here, the ground is pretty much dry under the trees.

17 hours ago, Animal said:

Did my final snow tally for the past season.

45.4 inches of snow.

biggest storms were in November.

sorta a dud overall.

41.0” total here, 42.2” is the long term average here with my running average since moving here at 47.3”. Biggest storm was indeed November for me too, 11.5”. 

I was up in the 'Daks and Plattsburgh yesterday. It was cool and very early spring like up there, above ~1k it's just turning into spring now. The trees are just leafing out and from all the rain everything is soggy(er than here). When we finished tiding yesterday in Ausable Chasm area the storm rolling off the mountains were inspiring, deep scuds dropping everywhere and they were black as night and the outflow front was impressive. Good Stuff!

Did it rain down here yesterday? What about earlier today, by the time I got home around 7 it was nice out. @Juliancolton did you get rain this afternoon? I rode at Lake Tagkhanic State Park and it was dry while riding but radar looks like it got wet after I left there. BTW if you get to check out the trails there do it, it's a nice long loop around the lake with some interesting spots and conditions along the way. Bring tick spray ;) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I was up in the 'Daks and Plattsburgh yesterday. It was cool and very early spring like up there, above ~1k it's just turning into spring now. The trees are just leafing out and from all the rain everything is soggy(er than here). When we finished tiding yesterday in Ausable Chasm area the storm rolling off the mountains were inspiring, deep scuds dropping everywhere and they were black as night and the outflow front was impressive. Good Stuff!

Did it rain down here yesterday? What about earlier today, by the time I got home around 7 it was nice out. @Juliancolton did you get rain this afternoon? I rode at Lake Tagkhanic State Park and it was dry while riding but radar looks like it got wet after I left there. BTW if you get to check out the trails there do it, it's a nice long loop around the lake with some interesting spots and conditions along the way. Bring tick spray ;) 

I like the snack bar at tagkhanic.

I was up in maine last weekend and it was the same deal.  just leafing out.

12 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I like the snack bar at tagkhanic.

I was up in maine last weekend and it was the same deal.  just leafing out.

If you want an on again off again challenging trail sort of close to home try the loop around the lake there. Some of it is just simple doubletrack work roads but there are super tight and techy narrow bits and some of the mud holes are impressive. As mentioned above, don't forget the tick spray. The views are worth the effort :) 

Nice but really warm and humid day going on out there. I hope that's not the theme of the summer.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:51 PM, gravitylover said:

I don't think it rained here Wednesday. Been a dry start to the month in stark contrast to May, with less than 0.4" through the first 8 days. Won't be long now before every conversation starts with "boy, we could really use the rain"...

I haven't done the trails around Lake Taghkanic, but been to the west beach many times for stargazing/astrophotography. It's one of the darkest spots east of the river until you get all the way to probably Pharaoh Lake. Sadly (but not surprisingly, since that's just how these things work) it's the only state park where I reliably get shooed off by the park police for being there after hours. Sometimes I can avoid them before Memorial Day and after Labor Day when they only do a couple rounds per night.

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I don't think it rained here Wednesday. Been a dry start to the month in stark contrast to May, with less than 0.4" through the first 8 days. Won't be long now before every conversation starts with "boy, we could really use the rain"...

I haven't done the trails around Lake Taghkanic, but been to the west beach many times for stargazing/astrophotography. It's one of the darkest spots east of the river until you get all the way to probably Pharaoh Lake. Sadly (but not surprisingly, since that's just how these things work) it's the only state park where I reliably get shooed off by the park police for being there after hours. Sometimes I can avoid them before Memorial Day and after Labor Day when they only do a couple rounds per night.

Could the State generate an after hours park permit for those whose skills necessitate it’s use? Just a thought, as always ........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Each pass down my driveway adds another layer of dust to the vehicle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rclab said:

Could the State generate an after hours park permit for those whose skills necessitate it’s use? Just a thought, as always ........

They do issue one-time permits for the Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association to hold their monthly meetups there, so the short answer is yes, although I believe it's only for groups and needs to be approved some time in advance. As far as I'm aware, there's no corresponding (official) avenue for individuals to obtain the same special privileges. Light pollution will handily eliminate Milky Way viewing in the Hudson Valley within the next 5-10 years, so it'll soon be less of a pressing issue for me.

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Each pass down my driveway adds another layer of dust to the vehicle. 

Between the dust and the pollen, I don't even have to walk when I go outside anymore... just stand with my back toward the direction of travel and let my sneezes propel me.