Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nice.  I always had a manual rain gauge with the Davis for the reasons mention but it was always one that you can get for a few bucks at department stores.  That's better than nothing but I wish I got the Stratus much earlier but I can't go back, better late than never I suppose.

As the old Chinese proverb goes, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time was 19 years ago... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

As the old Chinese proverb goes, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time was 19 years ago... 

Speaking of planting trees, I have a young red maple, 8 years old I think, that still hasn't leafed out but there are multiple shoots coming from the trunk so its not dead but either stunned or in distress.  I'm not sure whats going on but really hope it leafs out soon, it was rather healthy last year, from what I could tell, with lots of growth. 

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Tis the season, at least with my experience.  Seeds/flowers from the trees like to get into my Davis and if it’s not that then it the damn spiders making webs. I have to check the Davis on a regular basis in the warmer months but the good news is that the aggravation got me to get the Stratus a few years ago and I haven't looked back, I get accurate liquid equivalent with frozen precipitation too. 

My post was poorly worded.  The gauge didn’t malfunction, I did.  I have a retractable awning/sun shade which is about 18’ wide and when extended, reaches just about where the weather station sits.  I left it open all night and the water must have been funneled onto the gauge.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Hitman said:

My post was poorly worded.  The gauge didn’t malfunction, I did.  I have a retractable awning/sun shade which is about 18’ wide and when extended, reaches just about where the weather station sits.  I left it open all night and the water must have been funneled onto the gauge.

LOL, sounds like the warm season version of slant sticking to me B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

LOL, sounds like the warm season version of slant sticking to me B)

LOL indeed. Only a forum of weather compulsives could come up with even the concept of 'slant sticking'.

There is probably some crusty naval term which applies to optimistic wind measurements, but I don't know it. Maybe someone here can help.

• Haha 2

Alright so all it's going to take this year is a tropical system or two to annihilate last years record rainfall totals. I wonder if last year also had a record number of days with measurable rainfall, I bet we're on track to break whatever the old record is. I'm at 18 of 20 days this month and last month was 22 of 30, I didn't count the winter months but should have and I don't feel like going back to do the research now.

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Alright so all it's going to take this year is a tropical system or two to annihilate last years record rainfall totals. I wonder if last year also had a record number of days with measurable rainfall, I bet we're on track to break whatever the old record is. I'm at 18 of 20 days this month and last month was 22 of 30, I didn't count the winter months but should have and I don't feel like going back to do the research now.

Alls I know, is that it’s been miserable in one way or another since last spring.  Feels like it’s been one good day every couple of weeks.

So I'm at 19 or 20 out of 23 days so far this month have been wet at some point in the 24 hour period and April was 22 of 30. I'm really tired of it but on the upside the forest has really stabilized and for the most part there is very little mud out there. The ground has this wonderful resilience to it and the trails are in fine shape which makes the mountain biker in me very happy. @Hitman we need to coordinate and ride some time soon, me and my e-mtb are enjoying the heck out of our time together in the woods.

A lot of the rain lately has been at night, short-lived, or otherwise just generally unobtrusive, so it could be worse. This weekend is a good example. It looks like showers start before midnight Saturday and end in the wee hours, so 2 out of 3 days have rain even though no activities are disrupted.

Last night around 11pm there was a little spat of meteors coming from Lyra while lightning flashed on the horizon and the first few fireflies of the season made their presence known. Summer can be nice.

• Like 1

True but it still goes down as a rain day in the total count and it keeps soil moisture up. This month has been weird though as we've had 19 days with rain but the ground surface has mostly dried out. The wind has helped a lot and the trees leafing out seem to have sucked up a lot more than I thought they would a month ago. Trail.comditions are awesome around the area right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hitman said:

For the record, it could not be nicer out right now.

Yup high 60's-70 are just about perfect for a ride so that's what I did :) Unfortunately we chose a place that got hammered by those tornadoes last year and it was still a mess of downed trees and badly overgrown trails I assume because they're blocked further up and not being used much anymore. I'm going to have to apply for permission to go in and do some cleanup work, these are trails I helped build ~20 years ago when nobody around here rode mt bikes yet.

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yup high 60's-70 are just about perfect for a ride so that's what I did :) Unfortunately we chose a place that got hammered by those tornadoes last year and it was still a mess of downed trees and badly overgrown trails I assume because they're blocked further up and not being used much anymore. I'm going to have to apply for permission to go in and do some cleanup work, these are trails I helped build ~20 years ago when nobody around here rode mt bikes yet.

Me too.  Then yard work.  2 shower day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Golf is stupid. What a crappy goddamn sport. Ugh. 

How can you say that, after spending the entire day hitting a little ball, with a club, through grass, weeds, sand, trees and finally water. All that to make it disappear into an almost invisible hole. You know I believe your right, the heck with golf, stick to the sport of Moderating. It’s much more satisfying. You also can’t lose.