Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

9 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Wow, thats a couple inches more than me.

I think it was last Tuesday or Wednesday that I picked up a couple inches from a training thundershower while areas to the south stayed dry. Given that we're well into what should be convection season, it's surprising the overall totals are as uniform as they are IMO.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Ooh ooh I saw 51* on the dashboard today :arrowhead: That was up in JC land near Rhinebeck. This weather sux.

Lol, yeah, the ceiling lifted a bit this afternoon to the point where you could almost discern the direction of the sunlight. You feel like a hobbit when you start squinting out the windshield because the UV index creeps all the way up to 1.

This weekend actually looks stellar on the point+click, but that always comes with a massive caveat emptor this season.

Ha yeah that was the only time today that I was disappointed that my sunglasses were in my wifes car. Thankfully it only lasted for about 5 minutes so no harm done. I was thinking that the difference between your totals and the rest of us was that one night that you got doused and we didn't. That p&c looks awfully promising for the weekend but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Unfortunately Friday still looks rotten and I'm supposed to be at a mt bike festival south of State College for the day. I'm not feeling like a 6 hour, each way, drive is worth the effort just to stand outside in the mud and have a 60% chance of more rain while I'm there but the company really needs my help in the booth. Looks like it's gonna be an audible around 9pm Thursday night whether i go or not. 

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Ha yeah that was the only time today that I was disappointed that my sunglasses were in my wifes car. Thankfully it only lasted for about 5 minutes so no harm done. I was thinking that the difference between your totals and the rest of us was that one night that you got doused and we didn't. That p&c looks awfully promising for the weekend but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Unfortunately Friday still looks rotten and I'm supposed to be at a mt bike festival south of State College for the day. I'm not feeling like a 6 hour, each way, drive is worth the effort just to stand outside in the mud and have a 60% chance of more rain while I'm there but the company really needs my help in the booth. Looks like it's gonna be an audible around 9pm Thursday night whether i go or not. 

Are you going to dirtfest at raystown lake????

went there 3 years ago with my bike crew.  Great trails.  Unfortunately, after riding Friday, one of the guys got hit by a bus and killed.  

• Sad 3

I'm supposed to but not feeling like driving all the way out there for one day if it's going to rain. Unfortunately I can't stay for the weekend and need to be home for something on Saturday so it's a heck of a trip for a rainy day at over 5 hours each way.

Oh no that's terrible :( Was it one of the shuttle buses that runs around or had you left the festival and gone into one of the local towns? 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I'm supposed to but not feeling like driving all the way out there for one day if it's going to rain. Unfortunately I can't stay for the weekend and need to be home for something on Saturday so it's a heck of a trip for a rainy day at over 5 hours each way.

Oh no that's terrible :( Was it one of the shuttle buses that runs around or had you left the festival and gone into one of the local towns? 

it was terrible.  it was one of the shuttle buses at the festival.  the decedent was riding from the festival to the parking area.  I was back at the house we rented showering up before dinner.  The worst part was when the doctor was breaking the news to us in the ER, the wife called the hospital and the doctor gave me the phone to tell her.

That drive is brutal.  hard to do for one day. 

• Sad 1

:thumbsdown: Oh man I'm so sorry you had to go through that. 

Ehh, the drive itself isn't so bad. I do 600 mile days pretty frequently, sometimes as much as 800 with work stops during the day. The life of a salesman...

What a beautiful fall day today is. I'd be good with days like this for months at a time. Dry with a light breeze and even a very light jacket, or at least long sleeves, in the shade but comfy in the sun. 

We couldn't go a full 24 hours without some rain could we? It rained last night for a few hours, both before and after midnight so yesterday and today will both go down as having measurable precip. That means that after a multi week stretch that ended last week we're now back to 6 consecutive days for this round. It looks like tomorrow is a lock for some rain at some point too. 

I made a run out Rt 17 (I can't seem to call it I86 yet) to Corning yesterday and saw some super heavy rain in the morning then temps over 80 in Binghamton in the afternoon. On the way home there was an absolutely awesome rainbow filling my windshield for about an hour as I was following the rain through Orange County to the Bear Mountain Bridge. Looks like we may end up with a dry weekend for a change :) 

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I made a run out Rt 17 (I can't seem to call it I86 yet) to Corning yesterday and saw some super heavy rain in the morning then temps over 80 in Binghamton in the afternoon. On the way home there was an absolutely awesome rainbow filling my windshield for about an hour as I was following the rain through Orange County to the Bear Mountain Bridge. Looks like we may end up with a dry weekend for a change :) 

Ha too funny.  I did the same drive Friday to bgm for my sons graduation.

I drove right past the school while it was going on to visit the bike shop up the hill from the campus. Wouldn't it have been funny if we had run into each other there rather than on the mt bike trails here? When are we going to ride? I finally got my e-mtb so can ride again and complete the heart attack recovery on my own terms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I drove right past the school while it was going on to visit the bike shop up the hill from the campus. Wouldn't it have been funny if we had run into each other there rather than on the mt bike trails here? When are we going to ride? I finally got my e-mtb so can ride again and complete the heart attack recovery on my own terms.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Soon.  Those ebikes r great. Wouldn’t have to walk up the bad hills.  I’ll pm u next time I go for a ride around here.  Although I think next weekend is the last one I’m around for until mid July.

meanwhile, just got totally fringed by that storm. 0”.

2 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Soon.  Those ebikes r great. Wouldn’t have to walk up the bad hills.  I’ll pm u next time I go for a ride around here.  Although I think next weekend is the last one I’m around for until mid July.

meanwhile, just got totally fringed by that storm. 0”.

Do you ride a lot out there?  I’m going to be in Ithaca in June, and I usually ride shindigan hollow, but always looking for new places to explore.  I’ve gone with my son a few places around bgm like chenango which is ok.

I haven't ridden out there at all yet but will at least a few times this year now that I have a few solid accounts out that way. The Fingerlakes area has always intrigued me so I'm looking forward to it. I have a thing with my wife next weekend but don't remember which day but yeah, let me know when you're riding and if I can I'll meet up. Yup this bike is silly good fun, I was giggling the whole time once I got used to the extra weight.

Lots of lightning with yesterday evenings storm and the one overnight. Woke up to a extremely bright flash with huge clap of thunder, my guess is the cell tower on the hill here got hit again. The sides of the house are currently washed clean of pollen.  With the way it was pouring I figured I picked up at least an inch...yeah, no.  .36 in both the Davis and Stratus. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hitman said:

My rain gauge malfunctioned.  Says I got 9.92” last night.

Tis the season, at least with my experience.  Seeds/flowers from the trees like to get into my Davis and if it’s not that then it the damn spiders making webs. I have to check the Davis on a regular basis in the warmer months but the good news is that the aggravation got me to get the Stratus a few years ago and I haven't looked back, I get accurate liquid equivalent with frozen precipitation too. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Tis the season, at least with my experience.  Seeds/flowers from the trees like to get into my Davis and if it’s not that then it the damn spiders making webs. I have to check the Davis on a regular basis in the warmer months but the good news is that the aggravation got me to get the Stratus a few years ago and I haven't looked back, I get accurate liquid equivalent with frozen precipitation too. 

I've always  had a manual gage to go along with the davis as clogging does happen  as you mentioned. I've had the big 8" diameter nws gage for over 30 years now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doncat said:

I've always  had a manual gage to go along with the davis as clogging does happen  as you mentioned. I've had the big 8" diameter nws gage for over 30 years now.

Nice.  I always had a manual rain gauge with the Davis for the reasons mention but it was always one that you can get for a few bucks at department stores.  That's better than nothing but I wish I got the Stratus much earlier but I can't go back, better late than never I suppose.

• Like 2