Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Don't be ashamed be proud that you didn't spend so much time making it happen and you got out and rode your bike or hiked or went to a great local brewery or... I look at "nice" lawns and all I can think is 'man, the amount of time and effort you put into that... :( '

Ha, if only.  Due this lovely weather I spent the day shopping for a suit with the wife and seeing a matinee, long shot, which was actually pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Hitman said:

Long story,  When we moved in 20 years ago, my wife I cleared the backyard and I labored for years to get a good healthy lawn.  I finally got it to be ok, and then about 5 years ago strange things started to happen like large patches of the pachysandra surrounding the lawn died off suddenly, and nothing kills that stuff.  About the same time good grass died out too and was taken over by some invasive grass which goes completely dead in the winter.  I fought it trying to patch spots and that was worthless.  Then I rented a tiller and tilled the whole fooking thing, adding top soil and fertilizer before reseeding it.  The new seed grew nicely for about 6-8 weeks but be the end of the summer was dead again.  I suspect there is some kind of fungus effecting the whole backyard but I tried antifungal and it didn’t do anything.  I’ve spoken to a few landscapers and they couldn’t come up with anything.  That was 3 years ago and I haven’t had the heart to tackle the project again not knowing if it would work.

Damn, that’s a lot of work with frustrating results, I can’t blame you for giving up. 

• Sad 1

Yeah I tried a couple of times but it never lasts for this property either. I gave up a few years ago and never looked back. It really annoys me that some sections grow and some don't no matter what I do so I don't bother doing anything now other than running a mower over over it occasionally when it gets to looking really ratty or a neighbor complains about it. Weeds are green and old leaves on the ground don't look that terrible.

How weird was it not having any rain yesterday? Too bad we won't get a second dry day in a row.

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I tried a couple of times but it never lasts for this property either. I gave up a few years ago and never looked back. It really annoys me that some sections grow and some don't no matter what I do so I don't bother doing anything now other than running a mower over over it occasionally when it gets to looking really ratty or a neighbor complains about it. Weeds are green and old leaves on the ground don't look that terrible.

How weird was it not having any rain yesterday? Too bad we won't get a second dry day in a row.

I picked up almost an inch last night. :axe: Heavy training showers rooted to a mesoscale convergence zone over the river. Terrible.

Strongly agree about the anything-goes lawn. By no means do I knock folks who work hard on their lawns... it's an art form all its own. Not all yards are created equal though, and in mine, the interface between guests and lawn is very limited. If people only ever see it from 100 yards going by at 50 mph, green is green.

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I picked up almost an inch last night. :axe: Heavy training showers rooted to a mesoscale convergence zone over the river. Terrible.

Strongly agree about the anything-goes lawn. By no means do I knock folks who work hard on their lawns... it's an art form all its own. Not all yards are created equal though, and in mine, the interface between guests and lawn is very limited. If people only ever see it from 100 yards going by at 50 mph, green is green.

That's a reason why I keep my yard tidy, trust me, another photo angle would show that my yard is far from perfect, but I have at least two big parties each summer not to mention the the fairly frequent gathering of people on weekends.  So while I have no neighbors that see it I regularly have people that come over and sit out enjoying the yard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Eek

^^ Yep I had to mow again today and just did it a few days ago. With absolutely no effort on my part it's really filling in nicely. Not much grass but there's a lot of green stuff so I'm good with it. The back yard still looks like sh*t after losing 7 trees this winter. I have HUGE piles of brush from the crowns, it's piled up ten feet deep in one corner and 3-4 feet deep along a fair bit of the back edge (about 75 feet long) and 15 feet out from the fence. I think it's time to dump some of the old mower gas and have a rainy day brush burn soon so I can make room for more.

What a beautiful day today was. Who do I call to order a few more of these?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^^ Yep I had to mow again today and just did it a few days ago. With absolutely no effort on my part it's really filling in nicely. Not much grass but there's a lot of green stuff so I'm good with it. The back yard still looks like sh*t after losing 7 trees this winter. I have HUGE piles of brush from the crowns, it's piled up ten feet deep in one corner and 3-4 feet deep along a fair bit of the back edge (about 75 feet long) and 15 feet out from the fence. I think it's time to dump some of the old mower gas and have a rainy day brush burn soon so I can make room for more.

What a beautiful day today was. Who do I call to order a few more of these?

The burn ban ends on Wednesday too

• Like 1

^^ Wow. I know that it's snowing pretty far south in NH too from a friends FB post a little while ago. Radar looks like the heaviest rain is along I90 so that heaviest south of Long Island forecast is a fail. I hope the p&c for this week is wrong, as of now it looks like Wednesday might be the only good day. We need a good tropical storm to blow up this stupid WAR and change things up.

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

^^ Wow. I know that it's snowing pretty far south in NH too from a friends FB post a little while ago. Radar looks like the heaviest rain is along I90 so that heaviest south of Long Island forecast is a fail. I hope the p&c for this week is wrong, as of now it looks like Wednesday might be the only good day. We need a good tropical storm to blow up this stupid WAR and change things up.

Just drove back from nj to croton.  It’s nasty out.  This may be the first time I ever make a fire for mother’s day.

• Like 1

Yeah I just had to drive over to Ridgefield (CT) to pick up my father in law for Mothers Day dinner. Road conditions are pretty rotten, traffic through Danbury and into NY to I684 is really bad. Good thing I know all the back roads. 

Did it start raining before midnight? I'm curious because it adds another rain day for the month. If it did I've only had two days so far this month that it didn't rain at some point in the day.

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I just had to drive over to Ridgefield (CT) to pick up my father in law for Mothers Day dinner. Road conditions are pretty rotten, traffic through Danbury and into NY to I684 is really bad. Good thing I know all the back roads. 

Did it start raining before midnight? I'm curious because it adds another rain day for the month. If it did I've only had two days so far this month that it didn't rain at some point in the day.

I was curious about this too last night. I saw POU put up 0.02" in the daily climo report when I was in bed and figured it must have started just before midnight, but it was actually from the previous morning at the 2 am ob.