Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

What a nice day up here in Julian land. Not much snow left here, pretty surprising considering how much there us in CT.

Yup the moths came out at my place a few days ago, so did the spider crickets :(

Yeah, nice spring day for sure. Touched 59F but clouds started thickening up before we could manage 60 in my hood. Looks like POU did it anyway.

I took the convertible for first topless spin of the year. Roads are still pretty grody though so I think I may have jumped the gun... salt and sand spray on designo leather ftl.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, nice spring day for sure. Touched 59F but clouds started thickening up before we could manage 60 in my hood. Looks like POU did it anyway.

I took the convertible for first topless spin of the year. Roads are still pretty grody though so I think I may have jumped the gun... salt and sand spray on designo leather ftl.

I saw 63 in Wappingers and 65 by KPOU on 376. Yeah the spray from melting snow was pretty significant, used a bunch of wiper fluid today. Heh, brand new tires on warm pavement on some of your local twisties was a bunch of fun today :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Another excellent call by yours truly. It's a wonder I'm not the president of the AMS or something. 

Well AMS does have more than one meaning. Ill let you guess which google search term applies here. Lol

• Haha 3

Yeah that was the real deal last night. I had all of the gutters overflowing for a while there. Now the yard is a muck pit. I had to move my car out of the driveway yesterday afternoon and put it out by the street on the front of the lawn where i carved out a parking area a few years ago. As the ground finished thawing during the day and the snowbank melted out it sunk a little bit, with all of that rain it sunk in about 4" and I'm going to have to tow it out this morning. It is completely high centered from one end to the other as it only has 4.5" of clearance. Maybe after another cup of coffee ;) 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Imagine if that were snow :whistle:

A 4-5 foot thump in an hour would be insane. I've seen 12"/hr for 3 hours and that was something I don't expect to ever see again, I'd like to but I don't think I will. When you're in the house and it goes from daylight to darkness as the snow goes over the top of the window...

I still have a few spots in the deep shade with snow that may last a couple of more days.

I officially called an end to my snow cover on the 13th making March 1 through the 12th my longest stretch of continuous snow cover this season.

39.1 inches for the season now and 36 days of snow cover. The biggest snows of the season 10 inches on November 15-16 and 8.1 inches on March 3. Throw in the 1.8 inches on March 1 and the 3.5 on March 2nd and do the math, that's a really bad stretch from November 17th to February 28th.

Despite this mornings low of 19.6° the rest of March looks tame and April will usually deliver at least one measurable event but who knows this year, so my early grade is a D-. When you throw in all the hype I saw in many places and from several pros about this epic winter coming it's an F-.

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I still have a few spots in the deep shade with snow that may last a couple of more days.

I officially called an end to my snow cover on the 13th making March 1 through the 12th my longest stretch of continuous snow cover this season.

39.1 inches for the season now and 36 days of snow cover. The biggest snows of the season 10 inches on November 15-16 and 8.1 inches on March 3. Throw in the 1.8 inches on March 1 and the 3.5 on March 2nd and do the math, that's a really bad stretch from November 17th to February 28th.

Despite this mornings low of 19.6° the rest of March looks tame and April will usually deliver at least one measurable event but who knows this year, so my early grade is a D-. When you throw in all the hype I saw in many places and from several pros about this epic winter coming it's an F-.

Yeah, it was a joke compared to all of the hype.  That's why I never get into the hype or looking too far ahead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

An F- lol, what was 11-12 or 97-98 then?  I mean I totally agree that all the hype was a joke, but we did still get some cold shots and snow.  Without the November and early March storms it would have been way worse, but I'd give this winter a C-.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

An F- lol, what was 11-12 or 97-98 then?  I mean I totally agree that all the hype was a joke, but we did still get some cold shots and snow.  Without the November and early March storms it would have been way worse, but I'd give this winter a C-.

97-98 and 11-12 were true F- as was 01-02.

This year is a D- for the reasons I stated. I was joking about the F- as compared to some predictions this year which were in hindsight ridiculous.

A late season storm that would bring the seasonal near our average of 50 would get it to a D. Only 36 days of snow cover makes a passing grade impossible this year, even if we see an April 6, 1982 repeat this year followed by a May 9-10 1977 replay.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

97-98 and 11-12 were true F- as was 01-02.

This year is a D- for the reasons I stated. I was joking about the F- as compared to some predictions this year which were in hindsight ridiculous.

A late season storm that would bring the seasonal near our average of 50 would get it to a D. Only 36 days of snow cover makes a passing grade impossible this year, even if we see an April 6, 1982 repeat this year followed by a May 9-10 1977 replay.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Alright, I see what you're saying.  

An April event would be interesting since we had an early storm this year.

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

NAM really banging the drum for terrain-enhanced snows in the Taconics and eastern Catskills on Friday night. Catamount could get a nice late-season bump.

v8lru1o.png

Looks like Petersburg Pass is in for a March Mauler. I'll be up that way on Tuesday, hopefully it still looks wintry with springtime sun dried roads.

• Like 1