Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm surprised at some of the lakes melting off and not recovering their ice through this cold snap.

A couple of the local stations got down below 5* this morning but most seem to have been around 8*. Surprisingly cold for March. 

Agreed, I've been really surprised by the lack of ice growth this week. It's been plenty cold and mostly still (3F this morning here). I guess the incoming solar energy this time of year balances out the FDDs.

And count me as interested in the gtg as well.

Pretty much full-on mud season around here in any place that gets even a moment of direct sunlight. Still some snow if you go deep enough into the woods. At sunny and 45F today, even the most secluded walking/hiking spots were crowded... always funny on days like today when you pass one person on the trail in full winter gear – scarf, down jacket, gloves – and the next in shorts and a tee.

I'm still near 100% coverage on areas that aren't in direct sun for the better part of the day, IOW anything that's not south facing is still fully covered with 4-8" of sloppy sugary snow. I think the wet stuff incoming tonight and tomorrow will break it up and the warm days this week will make it go away. Stuff that is melted off is serious mud which makes me think that anything not paved will be hands (feet) off for a while after melt off. Surprisingly the lakes that are still frozen appear to be well frozen, the ones that started to melt off recently are losing their ice quickly now. 

• Like 2

Well that was fun. It snowed hard for the drive over there and for a few minutes while I was there then it flipped to heavy sleet a few inutes after 6:30 and stayed that way for about a half hour. By the time I got home a few minutes after 7 it had pretty much stopped then started raining a few minutes later. We had 1/2" of dense slickery stuff before it changed over and then I fell asleep, it's all rain now. Dreary day...

@DRVTS what's happening up in your area?

I visited my other home (in the Poconos) over the weekend and there's 10"-15" on the ground over there and it's very heavy and hard to move.  I didn't even attempt to shovel my driveway there and just parked on the road and went inside to make sure everything was fine (I only stay in that house during the warm season.)

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Ice on my pond is still holding tough with almost complete coverage. Meanwhile some of the bigger lakes are wide open, and I saw a dude fishing (probably merely casting and fully resigned to that fact) yesterday from the shore. There really is no rhyme or reason for it as far as I can tell.

The edges of the pond here in the park have melted pretty good, starting to go fast now. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Ice on my pond is still holding tough with almost complete coverage. Meanwhile some of the bigger lakes are wide open, and I saw a dude fishing (probably merely casting and fully resigned to that fact) yesterday from the shore. There really is no rhyme or reason for it as far as I can tell.

I have about 80% ice here.

It still looks and feels like late winter out there this morning. Make it go away please ;) I went for a 3 mile walk on the beach on Fire Island yesterday with y wife and one of our daughters and it felt so good to be out there but it would have been even better if we didn't need to be so bundled up. I love the beach this time of year.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Heckuva way to run a warmup eh 

Yeah, we'll get one lukewarm day on Friday and then back to seasonably chilly. I'm certainly not complaining about a gradual progression into spring.

It's a bit interesting that we're now into top 30 longest runs without hitting 70 degrees at POU. If the 18z GFS verified and we got there for the first time on March 28, that would be good for 15th place at 168 days. Average first 70F day is March 30, so even though it's the 384 hour GFS, it's a good a guess as any.