Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Snow growth has definitely improved here as of late. First inch is down, real sticky stuff as expected.

1.5" now, so roughly 1"/hr rate at the moment. About as expected. Remains to be seen whether that convective precip over the Chesapeake gains enough latitude to clip my area... sort of doubtful, but should still get into the 4-6" range even without it.

I just did a little walkabout and the lowest measurement I got is 8 and the highest was just shy of 10, most are right at 9" so... 9 it is. It's some heavy, wet stuff!Temps ranged from the 30 it is now and 35 when the snow started and it had been in the low 40" during the day so I suspect the lowest layer is real mush and this will compact very quickly. Get out and measure early. There must have been some crazy good snow growth especially towards the end because the flakes in the top inch are huge. I really should have gotten up during the snowfall because it was about 3" when I fell asleep around 12 and 9 when I woke up at 4 and it was done snowing.

I'm seeing reports of 10-12 in CT. My 9 is down to about 7 now, QUICK compaction! Makes me wonder if I had gone out at 4 (or earlier) rather than wait for coffee and such if I wouldn't have measured more than 9. I had a pretty good round of wind a little while ago and the temp dropped 2*, it's still breezy but calmed down a bit. 

My snow melted down to .45". I think I'm going to go with the 4.5" that fell on the hard, existing snow/ice in open areas. IMO it's a more natural method than the board, which was situated in one of the few areas with bare ground prior to this event. Was really pretty before dawn before the wind picked up and quickly cleared off the trees.

As an aside, I'm completely astonished at the 16-18" reports in eastern SNE. Just incredible how that part of the country pushes snowstorms to their absolute limits.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My snow melted down to .45". I think I'm going to go with the 4.5" that fell on the hard, existing snow/ice in open areas. IMO it's a more natural method than the board, which was situated in one of the few areas with bare ground prior to this event. Was really pretty before dawn before the wind picked up and quickly cleared off the trees.

As an aside, I'm completely astonished at the 16-18" reports in eastern SNE. Just incredible how that part of the country pushes snowstorms to their absolute limits.

I measured the same way and came up with 5.1"

45 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Maybe my .55" isn't off after all.

3 hours ago, Hitman said:

We’ll make up for it next season when u r in a better position to enjoy.

I am so looking forward to getting back on top of my game. I really want this week to be warm and all of the snow to go away so I can get back out on the bike but I know that's not going to happen. I might try to get out and ski a little bit next week when it warms back up and see how that goes.

• Like 1