Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
28.0° with moderate snow but intensity has let up some.

3.0 inches even so far from this event, 30 inches now for the season.  I'm guessing this will suppress the I want 80's and warm weather for March talk for a couple of days at least.

No I want 70* even more now. Not being allowed to go out and do "stressful" things like shoveling or riding my fat bike means I'm essentially trapped inside until it melts and dries. Heck, I'm stressed just thinking about dealing with my driveway until this stuff melts, my car is trapped because I can't move the plow pile and it only has 4.5" of clearance.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

No I want 70* even more now. Not being allowed to go out and do "stressful" things like shoveling or riding my fat bike means I'm essentially trapped inside until it melts and dries. Heck, I'm stressed just thinking about dealing with my driveway until this stuff melts, my car is trapped because I can't move the plow pile and it only has 4.5" of clearance.

With what you've been through this winter, you're entitled and an exception. I was talking about the true snow haters of which there's surprisingly more than a few on this forum.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Not sure if folks have been paying attention (I haven't), but this week looks frigid.

It’s funny because today was a very spring like snow.  By 9 am the roads were just wet and everything was melting.  In early afternoon they were dry in spots.  This upcoming event should have more of mid wintery feel afterwards.

I'm not liking the rain to start the storm in my forecast. That rarely makes for a good "winter" storm here. I'm just a bit too close to the water especially if the wind turns east with a southerly component to it. It's like the warm air banks up against the Taconics a few miles to my northwest and leaves me more wet than white especially being on an easterly aspect that's open to the south. I know it's supposed to cool significantly during the storm but I end up with warm air trapped for a while and it usually gives me a period of indeterminate mixed precip before the flip to snow. With as cold as it looks to be behind the storm there's going to be some ugly ice here. I really hope the wind turns northerly ahead of or as the storm moves in.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm not liking the rain to start the storm in my forecast. That rarely makes for a good "winter" storm here. I'm just a bit too close to the water especially if the wind turns east with a southerly component to it. It's like the warm air banks up against the Taconics a few miles to my northwest and leaves me more wet than white especially being on an easterly aspect that's open to the south. I know it's supposed to cool significantly during the storm but I end up with warm air trapped for a while and it usually gives me a period of indeterminate mixed precip before the flip to snow. With as cold as it looks to be behind the storm there's going to be some ugly ice here. I really hope the wind turns northerly ahead of or as the storm moves in.

Albany mentions a R/S mix to start for me as well. I doubt either of us see much rain... if there is any liquid, it's long gone within an hour of start time.

ldDS2Ih.png

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

@Juliancolton I hope you're right. It sounds like most folks in the storm thread are pretty comfortable with it not being wet here at all. I don't trust any benchmark track storm with strong easterlies this close to the water.

Don't worry about the rain that may fall in the beginning. It will quickly change to snow as column cools. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah right, what a beautiful morning out there. It doesn't look like a snowstorm is incoming does it?

Is there a place for soundings for KDXR and KPOU? I'm still trying to learn to read them but find some aspects to them quite useful already.

TropicalTidbits generates point-soundings for the op GFS, 3km NAM, HRRR, and WRFs. The College of DuPage site has RAP. If you have any questions about how to read them, I'll be happy to try and help. I'm not terribly skillful with using sounding progs in the course of operational forecasting, but I do have the theory behind them down fairly well.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Some intense rates progged for the wee hours. Given that this is fixed at 10:1, I'd bump the shading north by a bit. A line from Peekskill to Mahopac to Danbury is my favored jackpot corridor, accounting for the best balance of liquid and improved ratios relative to areas closer to the water.

wg49epq.png

Ya think? Rt 6 FTW :) 

It started as all snow here about a half hour ago and the temp is dropping pretty quickly. It was 45 @ 4pm and it's 34 now.

• Like 1

31/29/SN just shy of 1" now. So far it looks like my worry about warm air isn't coming to pass but it has been snowing for 4 hours and I'm still under 1". Hopefully rates come up significantly later and flake size gets better. If I'm going to have an all snow storm I want it to be 'for real'. I'm not looking forward to more single digit temps this week though :thumbsdown: