• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

Did anybody else see that the communications tower at the top of Sugarloaf (ME) blew over this afternoon while it was blowing ~130mph? There are some great pictures floating around on Facebook. Crazy conditions on the high peaks around New England tonight. I saw Mt Mansfield avg at 108 with gusts to 132 at 7pm and Mt Washington at 171mph! 

There was surprisingly little damage here from the wind today. Some branches and a tree here or there but a lot less than I expected. I'd like to think that all the weak ones were culled over the last year or so but I know that's not true. 

• Like 2

I'm really over this winter. My driveway is still a block of ice and it's a hassle to get the cars in without them sliding into some weird position. There's a reasonable walking path and the lower 25 feet is relatively clear but narrow. It's been cold without the prize and I haven't been able to get out and do the things I like to do and the ice has been annoying. I want a few inches of snow out of this midweek storm but don't want it as much as I want warm and dry. 

Julian, did you ever cut up that birch that fell in your yard a while back?

15 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm really over this winter. My driveway is still a block of ice and it's a hassle to get the cars in without them sliding into some weird position. There's a reasonable walking path and the lower 25 feet is relatively clear but narrow. It's been cold without the prize and I haven't been able to get out and do the things I like to do and the ice has been annoying. I want a few inches of snow out of this midweek storm but don't want it as much as I want warm and dry. 

Julian, did you ever cut up that birch that fell in your yard a while back?

It finally fell the rest of the way in one of the snow/ice storms and just shattered into wood chips on account of being rotted through.

• Sad 1

I hadn't seen this map from Albany before. Pretty interesting although I think it exaggerates the topographic influence a great deal. I'm in or near (hard to tell with the funky projection) the 76-100" speck just past the "e" in Poughkeepsie. There's no way I average anywhere close to that, especially for 1981-2010 climo. And for Gardiner to average just 21-30" while the Shaupeneak Ridge is over 60" seems pretty implausible.

1981_2010_Snowfall_Normal.png

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I hadn't seen this map from Albany before. Pretty interesting although I think it exaggerates the topographic influence a great deal. I'm in or near (hard to tell with the funky projection) the 76-100" speck just past the "e" in Poughkeepsie. There's no way I average anywhere close to that, especially for 1981-2010 climo. And for Gardiner to average just 21-30" while the Shaupeneak Ridge is over 60" seems pretty implausible.

1981_2010_Snowfall_Normal.png

Gardiner is a snow hole from what I know. I knew a guy who lived there a few years ago now who would constantly post pics of very little snow in his yard in comparison to others around the area. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

1.9 inches here, now 27.1 for the season.

Very surprised this morning. I had almost given up. Now tonight WC app says 3-5, and Sunday night 5-8? I'm not buying those totals yet.

1.4 for me this morning, tomorrow morning I should have some time to go over my seasonal numbers.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:41 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Gardiner is a snow hole from what I know. I knew a guy who lived there a few years ago now who would constantly post pics of very little snow in his yard in comparison to others around the area. 

I knew eastern Ulster had shadowing issues to some extent. Didn't think it could have been that drastic though. If you've seen evidence of it on the ground instead of just generated by an elevation algorithm, then I believe it.

9 minutes ago, Animal said:

Every model I have reviewed is 2 max 5 by tomorrow morning.

It could meet advisory criteria for sure, although I think odds are against it. It's a small, late-blooming system with a suboptimal trajectory outside the benchmark... like 39N/69W on the Euro and even a little further east on the NAM. Loose ML temp gradient on the NW side means no real argument for banding, and the DGZ is shallow.

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It could meet advisory criteria for sure, although I think odds are against it. It's a small, late-blooming system with a suboptimal trajectory outside the benchmark... like 39N/69W on the Euro and even a little further east on the NAM. Loose ML temp gradient on the NW side means no real argument for banding, and the DGZ is shallow.

yeah, yeah, yeah but thats just the appetizer.  the main course is sunday night.

Winter weather advisory up from Upton for tonight.

National Weather Service New York NY
317 PM EST Fri Mar 1 2019

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-103-104-NYZ067>071-020615-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0010.190302T0300Z-190302T1700Z/
Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex-
Northern New London-Southern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-
Southern Middlesex-Southern New London-Western Passaic-
Eastern Passaic-Western Bergen-Eastern Bergen-Orange-Putnam-
Rockland-Northern Westchester-Southern Westchester-
317 PM EST Fri Mar 1 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
  inches expected.

* WHERE...Southern Connecticut, interior southeast New York, and
  northeastern New Jersey mainly along and north of Interstate

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to noon EST Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Hitman said:

yeah, yeah, yeah but thats just the appetizer.  the main course is sunday night.

Nah, tomorrow is just the handful of M&M's you grab on your way out the door... Sunday night is the appetizer and March 9 is the all you can eat buffet.*

*Any resemblance to actual events purely coincidental.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Nah, tomorrow is just the handful of M&M's you grab on your way out the door... Sunday night is the appetizer and March 9 is the all you can eat buffet.*

*Any resemblance to actual events purely coincidental.

3/9 is beyond my horizon and I'll by up in the mrv for that.