Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

4 hours ago, Hitman said:

Are you looking for bald eagles?

my wife and I kayak/paddle board on the croton river and this past summer there were some flying around there.  To my untrained eye, there was an adult and two young ones which appeared to mature as the summer progressed.

Yeah, they've been congregating down by the Verplanck waterfront. This morning there were "only" five visible at one time, so at least one guy just packed up and said he'd try again another day. That's how you know the reintroduction efforts have been successful.

In truth, he was right... the eagles weren't really doing anything interesting. I liked this expression though.

cSbFINp.jpg

• Like 3

There are quite a few along the Croton River corridor. I drive up and down between Croton Falls and Brewster at least 5 days a week and see one or two most days, I bet if I stopped and paid attention I'd see more. There is also at least one peacock in the area. I have 2 hawks nests in the yard, we saw a big one the other day sitting on a branch waiting for breakfast to make itself evident.

It looks like the drizzle has already moved through this morning, maybe we get a nice(ish) dry day today :guitar:

Being on the west slope of the Sierra it always seems to have different (wetter) weather than at the lake, I guess that's why I thought it was further down. I looked at what some of the people that live there are talking about on another forum I frequent and it's a mess trying to get into the basin. Most people are turning around and heading home rather than fight their way up to end up sleeping in their cars somewhere. I80 is not open over the top and US 50 is backed up for 20+ miles. Gonna be a lot of bummed out skiers missing a great weekend.

• Like 1

This system continues to look moisture starved to me based on radar and obs. The HRRR seems to have a slightly better handle on precip distribution at 00z than the NAM... the former has clearing skies by dawn tomorrow after C-2", while the NAM fully supports warning criteria snows with mood flakes lasting until tomorrow evening. It's an interesting battle between the known NAM wet bias, and the known HRRR bad model bias.

Got  out of the Dropkick Murphys concert in Poughkeepsie last night and was surprised to see the amount of snow there was at point but still 2” or less. By the time we got south of Milton there wasn’t even that much and it was only a coating at home. The classic eyeball measurement this morning is an inch tops here but I will measure in a bit. Meh. 

It looks pretty nice outside with the sun breaking through the altostratus now and lighting up the fresh snow. I know last night was a Category 5 stinker in most areas, but if you lived north of POU (there are dozens of us, dozens!) and went into it expecting 2-5", then eh... it was a nice refresher, nothing more and nothing less.

24.6" now on the season. All we need is 2" of slop on Thursday, a respectable storm in March, and the inevitable 3-4" daffodil downer in April and 40" is in reach.

• Like 1

17.6° was the best I could do this morning, disappointing again.

My 7 consecutive days of snow cover I will probably call an end to today. There are enough bare spots around that I can't in good conscience continue to call it a snow cover. This brings the days with snow cover to 23 this season and the total snowfall for the season to 24.1 inches. Combined with the above normal temperatures December thru February and so far this winter season is a solid D in my book. It will take a damn good March to get a passing grade this year.

• Sad 1

I'd call it 85-90% snow cover here. Actually it's solid ice cover ;) Sunny, exposed south faces are burned out but otherwise it's complete. I did a lap around CT today and some places have real winter going on with real snowpack and snowbanks, you don't even need to go up into the hills. 

I'd give this winter a D at best and that's only because it did get cold. If we don't get a storm with snow rather than ice I'll probably drop that to a D-.

• Like 1

There was some solid drift action going on along the south shore of the Ashokan today, although I guess anything short of deep winter in the Catskillls in February would be the bigger surprise. I'm not doing too badly imby - a nice uniform 3" base with no bare spots yet.

On tomorrow, the NAM continues its multi-run trend of more moisture further north. Good if you want more ice, slush, slop, gloop, etc. Bad if you're not a psychopath.