Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

18 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I wouldn't dismiss the chance that tonight could feature the lowest temps of the cold snap in the favored radiating spots. I'm already down to 1F and falling quickly. Depends on how long the clouds stick around after midnight. 

Now -1 after 20 minutes. And all this with an air mass that's significantly warmer than the last couple days. 

18 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

While maybe not totally precise across the board, look at how much warmer it is on the ridge where the wind is still up just a tiny bit. I'm just about 100 feet lower at -4 than the airport at +13. Razor-thin decoupling of the BL. This stuff rules... to blazes with big storms

vbIXCtC.png

3.8° and dropping like a rock

It looks like tomorrow will mark the fourth consecutive calendar day of sub zero in the HV, and then the roof caves in on winter

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Yeah, I suspect my lake will thaw and not refreeze again this winter.

Agreed, and that would be a similar progression to last winter if it works out that way... maybe offset later by a week or two, since the lakes and rivers froze up in late December and started thawing in late January last season. I had 25.3" of snow at this point in 2018 with 42.5" still to come (almost exclusively after Feb 17th). I'd have to check, but I believe I'm at about 19 or 20" YTD now, so analogous on that front as well. The seven measurable snowfalls under an inch through Jan 31, 2018 amounted to 4.2", which accounts for most of the difference. We just haven't been getting nickle-and-dimed in between the fairly conventionally spaced significant events.

• Sad 1

That's all December was, pennies though not nickels. I had a total of 1" for the month and it snowed 4 or 5 times. At least I can call January 5" :arrowhead: That puts me at 13" for the season so far, not sure where that puts me in relation to last year. Yup I was looking at how much the ice surfaces melted on the lakes and reservoirs today and thinking it will be gone in just a few days. It really does feel like winters back is broken. I didn't have that feeling last year when we struggled through 6 weeks of non winter in the middle of the season though.

• Sad 1

On 2/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, gravitylover said:

That's all December was, pennies though not nickels. I had a total of 1" for the month and it snowed 4 or 5 times. At least I can call January 5" :arrowhead: That puts me at 13" for the season so far, not sure where that puts me in relation to last year. Yup I was looking at how much the ice surfaces melted on the lakes and reservoirs today and thinking it will be gone in just a few days. It really does feel like winters back is broken. I didn't have that feeling last year when we struggled through 6 weeks of non winter in the middle of the season though.

Yeah, I was mostly thinking irrespective of the .1" and .2" dustings. Those don't count for much. We've just conspicuously lacked so far the nuisance events that are more substantial than a coating. 2017-18 had four snowfalls of 0.8" here - those go a long way toward padding the stats in our climate

When I lived in Colorado those padding the stats snows were what kept the ski conditions awesome. Under a strong high, which is the majority of the winter, it would snow 2-4" a night 4 or 5 times a week. The streets wouldn't melt off between mid December and late March except for the main highway/main street and even those would stay snowpacked for 6-8 weeks and the surface on the ski areas would be soft all the time. Sure we'd get a couple of big synoptic storms and those would ensure the totals would get over 250" but it was the pocket change snows that would keep it fresh and white.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gravitylover said:

When I lived in Colorado those padding the stats snows were what kept the ski conditions awesome. Under a strong high, which is the majority of the winter, it would snow 2-4" a night 4 or 5 times a week. The streets wouldn't melt off between mid December and late March except for the main highway/main street and even those would stay snowpacked for 6-8 weeks and the surface on the ski areas would be soft all the time. Sure we'd get a couple of big synoptic storms and those would ensure the totals would get over 250" but it was the pocket change snows that would keep it fresh and white.

Same is true up north in vt.  Southern areas do better on the big synoptic coastal storms, but the northern areas get to 250-350” average from the small frequent snowfalls.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Meanwhile, there's very little wiggle room left before ice becomes a real problem Thursday night...

1CjdRr5.png

Julian,,,or anyone else = if you can help me / us out with the soundings as to be honest I understand the graph but how do we / I know the locations that have to worry about freezing rain or ice ? Thanks in advance 

51 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Julian,,,or anyone else = if you can help me / us out with the soundings as to be honest I understand the graph but how do we / I know the locations that have to worry about freezing rain or ice ? Thanks in advance 

Guidance has held serve and even ticked a bit warmer, so no concern in valley locations. Catskills and Berks could get icy still.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Julian is there somewhere be it tidbits or some other site that I can look at soundings ? or are those only pay sites ?

Tidbits and DuPage are my go-to free sites for sounding progs. Not every site has soundings for every model but I think the NCEP suite are all available in one place or another.

• Thanks 1