Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

You can't shovel but you just picked up 180 pounds, watch your back!  :pimp:  A 2 stage in comparison to a 3 stage or a 1 stage?  I wouldn't bother with a 1 stage since they can become useless in a wet snow and don't cut into the plow berms all that well, a 2 stage is better at getting that done.  I don't know anyone with a 3 stage yet, they look interesting though.

I know a guy who attempted to essentially build his own 3 stage from parts and an old craftsman snowblower. 

It lasted 3 days and blew up. 

• Haha 3

After some exhaustive research, I found the most reliable and recommended brands to be Toro and Ariens. I ended up with a Toro PowerMax HD 1028 OXHE in December. Looks like I’ll finally be able to use it!

Two good websites: snowblowersdirect.com and snowblowersatjacks.com. Both offer free shipping and no tax. They’re both cheaper than the local dealers. Good luck shopping!

F3285A32-454F-4020-A89A-D2E7393EBDC9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Tpalm5 said:

After some exhaustive research, I found the most reliable and recommended brands to be Toro and Ariens. I ended up with a Toro PowerMax HD 1028 OXHE in December. Looks like I’ll finally be able to use it!

Two good websites: snowblowersdirect.com and snowblowersatjacks.com. Both offer free shipping and no tax. They’re both cheaper than the local dealers. Good luck shopping!

F3285A32-454F-4020-A89A-D2E7393EBDC9.jpeg

She’s a beaut, Clark!  I’ll be interested to hear how it does. 

I cuts thru the wet snow very well. It throws powder snow  about 20'. I add fuel stabilizer to the gas, put in a new spark plug, and grease the auger before the season. Only issue I had was breaking on of the sheer pins off the auger on a piece of blacktop the town truck chopped it up off the street. Easy to change. It's good to keep a few extras on hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I have the Ariens 921045 24" snowblower. This is my 3rd season with it. Works great.  Love it.

image.jpeg

Yeah that's the one I liked best, the 24 Deluxe.  Glad to hear that you like it. The newest model has a clip that holds 2 shear pins so they're easily accessible, seems like a nice touch. I am curious about the Toro but based on how tough my Cub Cadet mower has been I think I'd lean that way.

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, I have the Ariens Deluxe-28. I think I've mentioned how little I use it though. I have a grand old time pushing snow around on my little Kubota without all the defenseless dendrites getting chopped to blazes.

A ride on is a strong consideration.  The dic is suggesting I don't use a push type mower this year so one the is a mower and can handle a blade or blower is what I'd want but not sure I can afford it right now and storing something that expensive outside kind of bugs me.

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I have the Ariens 921045 24" snowblower. This is my 3rd season with it. Works great.  Love it.

image.jpeg

It's definitely time for me to upgrade. With some of these storms the last several years having a smaller model is almost like doing it yourself. You mind if I ask what this one cost?

Also does anyone know what happened to Ulster? I haven't seem him post for months.

6 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It's definitely time for me to upgrade. With some of these storms the last several years having a smaller model is almost like doing it yourself. You mind if I ask what this one cost?

Also does anyone know what happened to Ulster? I haven't seem him post for months.

$999. At the Home Depot 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I think he was around a bit for the November storm. He typically is only around here for snowstorms but he also has little kids, so I would guess free time can be an issue too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It was more like $1100 yesterday at my local HD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

It was more like $1100 yesterday at my local HD.

Online price is $ 999.00 , if you order it then online its cheaper and I believe they do free delivery. It's called white glove service. They have it prepped and ready to go. They had that service 3 years ago when I purchased. Don't know if they still have that service. Also, lowes price matches.

• Like 1

Stewarts stores in Ulster County have Ethanol Free Gas at the gas pumps.

I drive to the one on Route 32 just south of New Paltz a couple times a year to fill my gas can for my snowblower & lawnmower.

There are some sites showing gas stations that sell Ethanol Free gas.

The NAM is a total grab bag of wintry elements. A heavy burst of snow for all to start, 3-5" or so, then the mid levels warm above freezing from around 04z to 15z Sunday. QPF during that period is around .7" to .8" for most of us. Peeking at soundings, it seems like sleet would prevail north of 84, with ZR to the south. For reference, the sleet-to-liquid ratio is typically 3:1, and freezing rain accretion averages around 0.7:1, though that varies widely. Based on all that, and with the NAM being among the iciest guidance, a catastrophic event seems unlikely. @gravitylover land would be the ice storm epicenter with perhaps a half inch of accretion.

• Sad 1

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
331 PM EST Thu Jan 17 2019

NYZ067-068-181100-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0001.190119T1700Z-190120T2300Z/
Orange-Putnam-
331 PM EST Thu Jan 17 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow
  accumulations of 6 to 10 inches and ice accumulations of around
  one tenth to a quarter of an inch possible.

* WHERE...Orange and Putnam Counties.

* WHEN...From Saturday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. Strong wind
  gusts Sunday afternoon into the night could bring down tree
  limbs and power lines.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
to monitor the latest forecasts.

The main forum is tough to slog through; I may just stay here.

You gents are well north of me, which means you will see the best the show has to offer this time.

I'm in southwest Morris County; about 40 miles west of the city as the crow flies... Thinking ice and a lot of it, is in my future. Good thing I split enough wood to last a while when the power goes out. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

The main forum is tough to slog through; I may just stay here.

You gents are well north of me, which means you will see the best the show has to offer this time.

I'm in southwest Morris County; about 40 miles west of the city as the crow flies... Thinking ice and a lot of it, is in my future. Good thing I split enough wood to last a while when the power goes out. 

The interior burbs thread isn't defined by geographic boundaries, but by a state of mind. If you like a more mellow pace of posting, genuine interaction instead of perpetual MJO jousting, and a come-what-may attitude (and pina coladas), this is the place to be... no matter where you live. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The interior burbs thread isn't defined by geographic boundaries, but by a state of mind. If you like a more mellow pace of posting, genuine interaction instead of perpetual MJO jousting, and a come-what-may attitude (and pina coladas), this is the place to be... no matter where you live. :)

Whoa.

where the hell are my pina coladas? I keep getting served shirley temples. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Another long workday kept from getting too much into the storm. Quick glance I didn’t see any major changes up this way, I’m I missing something? (Que @BxEngine to slam home the joke I set him up for again)

Too easy. Id say you should try to make it harder...but i fear you hear that a lot. 

Giggity. Lol

• Like 2