• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

It does make the jump at 84 fwiw... looks to be in the midst of transferring I believe

NAM’s depiction of qpf and precip shield is mind boggling to say the least compared to other guidance. What an odd run albeit it is the Nam way out in time.

• Like 1

Just now, yoda said:

General 2-3" across most of the area... 1-2 down towards EZF and CHO through 84

definitely not what i expected, but its the NAM at range, and once coastal takes over, who knows. .  I'm tossing, not cause it is paltry w/ qpf, but evolution at the end seemed wonky.  at 72 it seemed to meet the meat ginder.   Transfer between 81 and 84 just didnt look good IMO.  

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

NAM’s depiction of qpf and precip shield is mind boggling to say the least compared to other guidance. What an odd run albeit it is the Nam way out in time.

Yep. Most of VA dryslots when it makes the jump. We dont know if would try to climb the coast from there. With that brick wall to the north I doubt it though.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Cips analogs look good but every piece of guidance shows the shred factory @ h5. Shortwave looks great at first but gets pancaked. Not sure that can be overcome enough to match top analog snowfalls

I agree. And I think the pattern analogs are missing that fact. But I've told myself things like "they aren't seeing the high" or "there is a colder airmass this time" or "the flow isn't as progressive" when over the years guidance looked good but those analogs suggested a warmer or more out to sea outcome. And a few times the models caved to the analog guidance. But sometimes it didn't. I doubt this time goes that way but it's still worth throwing it out there. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yep. Most of VA dryslots when it makes the jump. We dont know if would try to climb the coast from there. With that brick wall to the north I doubt it though.

It’s so far off the coast and so weak not sure it would matter.  We have yet to be NAM’ed.  Might be an omen.  Looks like basically WAA snows then coastal robs moisture and OTS.  At least on that run

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

As others have said, 500 ain’t pretty.  We don’t want a system weakening or “pancaking” upon approach.  That’s a story we’ve seen play out before.  I’d like to see a north shift with this to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

@Bob Chill I do wonder if we can get this amplified enough in the TN Valley if it might not simply hold together well enough to jump to and reamplify on the coast. Guidance might be shredding it too quickly and undergoing the ridging in front as it gets going in the miss valley. I'm not saying a hecs solution but I could see one of those 6-10" ensemble ideas that way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Cips analogs look good but every piece of guidance shows the shred factory @ h5. Shortwave looks great at first but gets pancaked. Not sure that can be overcome enough to match top analog snowfalls

We're about 22" short at the moment.  Really going to need a major difference with the NS,  it's one of those setups where the great pattern is there for a moment, but isn't anchored down.

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’s so far off the coast and so weak not sure it would matter.  We have yet to be NAM’ed.  Might be an omen.  Looks like basically WAA snows then coastal robs moisture and OTS.  At least on that run

I agree. As much as I don’t want to—these west-east clipper type events (I know this has more moisture than a typical clip but..) come along and any phasing tends to be too far N or OTS. The nature of living here for decades. I just think we are grasping when we don’t have the true LP from the south. I’ve learned that if we are wishing for a phase “in time”—tends not to work.  I’m always hopeful—maybe Euro finds it. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

What continues to amaze (frustrate) me about our region is how even the things we need (like high pressure) can't be too much or too little. Not enough for the elements to just be there...they gotta be just right! Here we have this monster high in an ideal spot...but now it might shred off some of the potential (perhaps I'm not understanding that properly). Wow

I think a good rule of thumb for these type of things is not to live and die by each model run. A couple hours ago Euro came in and looked pretty great, so did GEFS, and people saying that this is trending towards a major event. Then the NAM has a bad run and now everyone's saying we're going to dry slot and 2-4 at best.

Let's see what 00z says tonight and see if a trend is being established, or if the NAM is just off this run. luckily in about 36-48 hours we can watch this thing track across the country and see what's really going on and then we can set our expectations accordingly before the onset. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hypothetically...if it were to do that...what would cause that? The high or something else?

It's losing its upper level support as the flow gets compressed and starts to de amplify and its running into resistance at the surface from the apps and the high pressure and so it jumps to the next least hostile environment which is the barclinoc zone along the coast. 

The jump isn't the problem. Some of our big storms take that track. The problem is the storm is washing out and the lift mechanisms are dying.  In simplistic terms the initial wave from the west is dying as it approached and the new low developing on the coast is too weak to do much for us until it's too late. 

If you want to keep yourself up all night out total fail scenario would be for the initial waa wave to either die or ride to our north with minimal impact and then the coastal to develop too late and we end up in a snow hole. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic