• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I think that map looks pretty good. If the qpf stripe is better aligned for dc area it's a minor adjustment. I'm starting to lean towards 3-6 for the corridor instead of 2-4" but i'd like to see guidance converge. Icon/gfs/cmc are still jumping around too much to feel confident.

Yeah, that's basically where I'm at too. The dry air aspect in the beginning leaves me hesitant on putting out the higher totals because there might be some virga to overcome in the initial WAA stuff. Once the atmosphere moistens up though, every single flake will stick with ease. If we can get more action when the coastal begins to take shape, then it's a go for the larger accumulations. If I'm forecasting for the corridor, I start with 1-3/2-4 and adjust up if I see everything coming together. Euro being steady is a huge positive. It's got a better handle on the southern stream and it's been doing a fairly solid job out here with all the systems rolling through. It's been the most consistent of every model in terms of H5 trough placement and precip field. I think GFS was a little more gung-ho on the southern precip field a few days ago, but once the Euro caught on, it's been very consistent with the GFS jumping around on QPF maxes. This setup is one where it will not take much precip to drop close to warning levels. I like areas like the Blue Ridge south of Winchester to be in the bullseye just due to the upslope factor in the initial precip field. That's why I actually like TWC 's map. I guess there's a first time for everything lol

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I know some people hate hearing posts like this but i'm tossing all ops except the euro if it doesn't waver at 0z tonight. Its been the most consistent and appears lasered in. Qpf distribution always moves around a little but the euro is being really stready with the progression. 

The question is are we close enough to the event that you will stay up for the Euro?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I know some people hate hearing posts like this but i'm tossing all ops except the euro if it doesn't waver at 0z tonight. Its been the most consistent and appears lasered in. Qpf distribution always moves around a little but the euro is being really stready with the progression. 

I think it has moved around. It was very suppressed then surged north on the euro.  She's having trouble from the foul line this yeat :)

Just now, Interstate said:

The bigger question is can it climb the coast or go OTS?

That high pressure is parked right over top and confluence is strong. I could see central NJ doing well but NYC and ne of there are pretty much out of the game. Still possible but the shift in guidance would have to start at 0z tonight. 

On another note... The navgem finally jumped on board. Progressive bias model and has been consistently weaker/sheared/south but 18z is a decent now. I think our chances at getting whiffed are almost gone

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_16.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

0.1” is up in central NJ...totals are heavier as you travel west.  Lots of breathing room on the 18z imo.  

I think the Euro is primed to up the ante to a 4-8 inch type storm. It’s been progressing that way. And we could pull that off with .6 qpf and decent ratios.

7 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I think the Euro is primed to up the ante to a 4-8 inch type storm. It’s been progressing that way. And we could pull that off with .6 qpf and decent ratios.

It's not just QPF that gets you good snow.  Having prolonged lift through the DGZ is equally vital, otherwise its mangled flakes that don't accumulate.

Just now, nj2va said:

Slight bump north of the 0.5” QPF line on the 18z EPS.  0.5” is now in between Balt/DC.  Also 0.75” area over ORF/extreme SE VA which wasn’t there at 12z....perhaps a few more members than 12z with the tucked in coastal?  

You have been a pillar in this potential event with the play by play.   Many thanks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Is there a possibility of that?  Absolutely given some of these ensemble members but 2-4” seems a good forecast right now.  Could easily see that bump to 3-6” but would need to see some more consistency in the models before I buy into 3-6”, as Bob mentioned earlier.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Slight bump north of the 0.5” QPF line on the 18z EPS.  0.5” is now in between Balt/DC.  Also 0.75” area over ORF/extreme SE VA which wasn’t there at 12z....perhaps a few more members than 12z with the tucked in coastal?  

Appreciate the 18z eps recap. 12z was already in strong agreement. My guess is 18z bumping the mean qpf north is probably a sign that there are even fewer whiffs. 18z ensembles are solid tonight

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's not just QPF that gets you good snow.  Having prolonged lift through the DGZ is equally vital, otherwise its mangled flakes that don't accumulate.

Yeah...that’s probably why he included the qualifier “with decent ratios.”

Just now, mattie g said:

Yeah...that’s probably why he included the qualifier “with decent ratios.”

Lol. Yea, 7 times out of 10 we're living and dying by ratios to overcome lukewarm surface. I'll take .4 spread out over 24 hours with frozen ground versus .4 in 6 hours at 35 degrees. 2 completely different events.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Yea, 7 times out of 10 we're living and dying by ratios to overcome lukewarm surface. I'll take .4 spread out over 24 hours with frozen ground versus .4 in 6 hours at 35 degrees. 2 completely different events.

This.   Not having to worry about temps and precip type is rare.  

Cips analogs still think the pattern is more loaded than the ops and perhaps we are giving it credit for. Sometimes I like to look earlier in the progression to see what the setup lead too. Looking at the Mississippi valley cips thinks this should be an amped up system. 

IMG_8264.PNG.92d88b27b2e8b9043775c56a0dc78c4b.PNG

Some of the analogs are 2-12-1983, 2-5-2010, pd2, 2-22-16, feb 87, and 1-7-96!  Lol

The most impressive look might be the southeast as the system approaches.  The top analogs are 1. Feb 5 2010, 3. Feb 83, 4. Dec 2009 

The flow does deamplify some by the time it's on the east coast but even then the top analogs include feb 83, 2-12-2006, pd 1979, psuhoffman 2011, pd2, and 1-25-2000  and the mean looks like ...

IMG_8265.PNG.2d8ec7040e75b689afed75b99b3e0691.PNG

now this guidance is not perfect.  obviously all of the operationals are currently deamplifying the system much more than the analogs to the current pattern did. But there are members in the ensembles that suggest a bigger event isn't out of the question and the analog guidance says the pattern supports that idea so perhaps it's not out of the question. 

I would still favor a moderate event. I think cips is likely missing the weakness and the disorganization of the vorts in this setup now and maybe is underestimating the impact of the high but at times I've ignored these analogs when they were suggesting something I didn't like only to see the guidance flip towards what the analogs suggested so it's worth keeping the door open to a more amplified system.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic