• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yeah man. Everyone I know cashed last year except me haha. Now I'm definitely not going to cash much out here, but I'll be home in less than 2 weeks, right in the heart of when we could see something. I'd love nothing more than to see a bomb before I head home. 

Whites Neck Road is the Millville jackpot for snow. Has the upper air sampling factored into the modeling of the shortwave energy and the pathway through the CONUS to the MA been modeled yet using upper air sounding data or is this currently govt shutdown furloughed? Have the big players been sampled yet? 

6 minutes ago, Hurricanegiants said:

Roller coaster run. Are there not scenarios in the past where we see a light/mod event (1-3) and then the coastal robs the moisture and takes it off the coast? Is that what we might be seeing here....

What you're seeing is a mid level boxing match between a beast hp and waa precip bumping right against it. We had a storm in 2015 iirc where the northern edge got gobbled in real time even though all short range guidance said precip would win. Very different type of storm because that was a northern stream shortwave and this is a southern one. 

The ultimate best case is for lp to get going off the coast. Dynamics can really crank when there's a pressure war going on.

Euro has really light snowfall for 12 hours from the waa precip. It adds up over time though. That piece of the puzzle won't be figured out until it's basically about to snow

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WeatherQ said:

Whites Neck Road is the Millville jackpot for snow. Has the upper air sampling factored into the modeling of the shortwave energy and the pathway through the CONUS to the MA been modeled yet using upper air sounding data or is this currently govt shutdown furloughed? Have the big players been sampled yet? 

Yes. There isn't a stoppage in upper air sampling with the shutdown. In fact, I literally just came in for prepping the balloon for MAF lol. Satellite data nowadays is more than capable for filling some of the void. Our main pieces are still out over water, so a full RAOB ingestion with each feature should be on board within the next 24 hours. I don't know if it'll make a difference however. Models are starting to get the idea of how this will play out. Just a few more discernible details to nail down, then we can start talking amounts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Fv3 falling in line with everything else

Now has. 25  in northern md to .50 south of DC. 

I haven't been too impressed so far with it. Seems to be out on an island at times.

0.25” line is north of state college, PA. Pretty close to its 12z run for our area. It seems to be coming around to the consensus position.

• Like 1

One thing that makes this storm a little unusual it it's a pretty organized and juicey system in the midwest but conditions deteriorate as it moves east. More often we're dealing with a weak system and hoping it get's stronger as it gets closer. This one is getting weaker. 

If we did't have strong confluence and a big hp to the north, this one would almost certainly be a mixed event or even west track. It would be really amped up and big qpf maker but that wouldnt mean all (or any) snow.

So the big/cold hp and confluence that's allowing a good track and all snow event is also the reason the storm gets sheared and loses energy as it moves through. Cuts both ways in this case. However, it really wouldn't take much for it to be a pretty good hit either.

18z gfs looked really good in the upper levels when the storm tracked through the midwest. That's a good sign imo. Since the upper levels become hostile as it approaches our region, one of the things we want to root for is as strong a storm as possible before shear starts doing its thing. Gfs was really good with that part imho. Because of that i'm not sure everyone realizes how close it was to bigger impact here. Closest yet in the last day or 2.

@WxUSAF posted exactly what i was thinking irt the upper levels not matching the surface. I'd much rather see that than crap upper levels and robust surface. It's not instant gratification because the surface isnt dumping on us but don't ignore the fact that the shortwave looked more consolidated and organized than the last few runs. 

• Like 10

A report on WTOPsaid that the American models are  less accurate because some of the instruments are not being calibrated on a daily basis as usual because of the government shutdown. As a result models such as the GFS and others may be off. They also said that some of the data may not be collected And missing  from some of the runs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Goofy run.  Looks so much better aloft than what transpires at the surface.  Hell, surface looks great through about 60 hours.  Confluence from the northeast seems slight better if anything from 12z, no worse at the very least.  

The 18z gfs made sense to me honestly. There is a piece of energy that goes from the GOA over the ridge and then kind of phases in with the TPV. If you look at the 12z gfs to the 18z gfs this streamer is a bit stronger and causes a bit more of a southward press of the confluence negating the stronger s/w effects. You can see the hgt lines in New england are a bit further south. The question is will it be right or wrong. That piece of energy isn't in a data rich area.  The evaporation of the precip makes sense. When you have a CAD setup, what usually happen? We have a big high that funnels down cold dry air east of the apps, thus lots of virga usually due to the low dew points. So the tandem of downsloping effect combined with very dry air causes the precip shield to get eaten up IMO.  Thats why places west of the apps are wetter because they aren't experiencing the CAD effects like we are.  

gfs_z500_vort_neus_fh84_trend.gif

• Like 2

Damn that's some spread on the GEFS.  More big hitters than duds though, so that's good to see.  We're still (barely) at the range where the ensemble mean should beat a given Op run.  Interesting to see both the GEFS and EPS means be better solutions for us than the Ops.  I'm very good with that today, but if that's still happening at 18z tomorrow and beyond, that starts to get concerning that the Ops are handling subtle features better than ensembles.  

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This paints a really nice picture of the spread. We're all praying we get at least .5 qpf. Nearly half are an inch or more in dc. Lol

KcLUZYc.png

Wow that's quite a spread. Everything from basically several whiffs to several major storms to HECS to several very solid warning level snows.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Damn that's some spread on the GEFS.  More big hitters than duds though, so that's good to see.  We're still (barely) at the range where the ensemble mean should beat a given Op run.  Interesting to see both the GEFS and EPS means be better solutions for us than the Ops.  I'm very good with that today, but if that's still happening at 18z tomorrow and beyond, that starts to get concerning that the Ops are handling subtle features better than ensembles.  

10 of the 20 a huge hits... with 3 pretty much whiffs 

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Keanuwhoa.gif

Unusual to see the GEFS diverge from the Op like that at this lead-time.  Red flag for the Op?

Quite possible. If the 18z gefs qpf mean verifies this place will be off the chain happy. Vast majority of the gefs members are better than the op. Many by a good margin too 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Good call. This panel is money and explains why the gefs had so many juicy solutions

UZGE2mU.png

wondering if this is turning into a boom (warning level) or bust (scraps) situation as opposed to a middle of the road light event.  if we're talking a system weakening on approach entering a dry environment, that could pose some problems on the leeward side.  however, if we have enough lift/energy/onshore flow, then it's going to lay down some good ratios over a 6 hr period, enough to probably easily reach warning level criteria.  i guess i'm not all in on a long duration light event because we don't see that often.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic