• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Storm Vista has 6 inches over DC on the Euro.  I thought this double jet streak structure was neat.  The left front juxtaposed with the right rear quadrant is a favorable combo for a moderate snowstorm and for potential banding.  

Double_jet_Jan_13_2019.png

Just printed this post.   I'm leaving work early.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'll take that one too.   If the thermals are that good down south, we should be seeing kind of a smoke show

I wish I had soundings to look at DGZ but looking through the layers it looks perfect for high ratio dendrites. Surface mid/upper 20's and 925/850/700 all -4C or colder....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Storm Vista has 6 inches over DC on the Euro.  I thought this double jet streak structure was neat.  The left front juxtaposed with the right rear quadrant is a favorable combo for a moderate snowstorm and for potential banding.  

Double_jet_Jan_13_2019.png

When you say things like “double jet streak” and “potential banding” it makes the weenies, myself included, get a little giddy. Thanks for all you do Wes!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wish I had soundings to look at DGZ but looking through the layers it looks perfect for high ratio dendrites. Surface mid/upper 20's and 925/850/700 all -4C or colder....

Hey Bob. Took a look at some cross sections of the Euro via AWIPS over KGAI. During the storm height, there's some modest Q-vector convergence across the DC corridor with H85 and H7 temps correlating to some higher ratio fluff. That's why the discrepancy between the 10:1 and Kuchera were indicative of an extra 2-4" between the two algorithms. Pretty good stuff. Even better lift resides just to the south of DC too, so there's room for improvement if the SS vort can gain more latitude or better phasing between the two streams. Not to mention the jet couplet that Wes posted is a great setup for mesoscale banding across the central Mid Atlantic. A very good run. Hopefully it remains that way. Just want to see y'all get on the board. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

this is how we get our colorado powder.  gotta walk that line of suppression vs juiced up enough system when we have a strong high to the north.  would be pretty cool if this system is like our rainers, because those had plenty of moisture the last few months.

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hey Bob. Took a look at some cross sections of the Euro via AWIPS over KGAI. During the storm height, there's some modest Q-vector convergence across the DC corridor with H85 and H7 temps correlating to some higher ratio fluff. That's why the discrepancy between the 10:1 and Kuchera were indicative of an extra 2-4" between the two algorithms. Pretty good stuff. Even better lift resides just to the south of DC too, so there's room for improvement if the SS vort can gain more latitude or better phasing between the two streams. Not to mention the jet couplet that Wes posted is a great setup for mesoscale banding across the central Mid Atlantic. A very good run. Hopefully it remains that way. Just want to see y'all get on the board. 

Between this and Wes's earlier post, Randy must be running naked through the National Mall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Between this and Wes's earlier post, Randy must be running naked through the National Mall.

I certainly wouldn't be celebrating anything yet, but it was a solid run. There's room for improvement, but heartache is right there too. Bob posted that H7 RH plot. The northern extent has a sharp cut due to dry northwesterly flow aloft across PA. Any adjustment south or a weaker vort will entice dry air advection through regions you don't want. It's a fine line. We're not looking a well defined deformation axis, but enough mid and low level convergence to generate a solid precip shield across the Mid Atlantic. I'm still slightly skeptical, but the model runs at 12z were a step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

I put these 500mb frames together for comparative purposes (I know they're not the best maps). I think the GFS/CMC/EURO have been the three that have shown modest run consistency.

At 72 hours out they all look pretty similar with the ridging and low placement so thats a good sign

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_4.thumb.png.19b11a78079fa1572cec7d9ca04f5488.pnggem_z500_mslp_us_13.thumb.png.5d5332fb36e9d0e5a8cef2446f90c09e.pnggfs_z500_mslp_us_13.thumb.png.b0b6e3b69f9648298cd113088ca10ba8.png

When you get to 120 you can see GFS is a little quicker, CMC has less confluence which is why you get a less suppressed solution, and Euro keeps the east coast high pressure in a less favorable position over the lakes

1.thumb.png.5bec6d9c63476dacf539ec398e22b3eb.png3.thumb.png.eec552b64b59537cf3f2c7c5c6142f67.png 2.thumb.png.a10d6cdd70e1da99d5aa60fa6297e746.png

So my point being I think the ridge out west is beginning to come into range as to being molded fairly well. One of the big questions is how does the high pressure play out. If we can get it to stay little more relaxed as depicted in the CMC and GFS to an extent, I think we start seeing in the coming model runs a shift of the the best lift and QPF field towards DC/Balt, assuming that the SW holds itself together and the NS doesn't lose its beneficial timing as depicted in the current runs.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic