• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

This is accurate. Truth be told (technically speaking) GFS wise there is no trend. If you were to see a trend it would actually be slight improvements in EPS QPF in past 36 hours. Very slight

Ok. I see where you're coming from. But the point that some people are making here is that the ICON, GGEM, and both GFS's had a more amped coastal idea up until this morning. They all backed off from their previous runs today. Maybe some people don't think that's a trend but I kind of do. It's a trend away from a more amped solution...

Still a ton of time. Wouldn't be suprised if this thing still has one more major change up it's sleeve before game time....for the better or worse. 

12 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

I have no clue what the final outcome. Just saying what the consensus is coming around to right now. We still have a chance for major changes. Now we just have a new consensus to work out from. Remember when 12/9 went to the NC/VA border? How'd that end up for areas north of Richmond? Still a ton of time. At this point though, the models are leaning away from a more amped solution. 

Really good actually, ended up with 6.1" just North of EZF in Southern Stafford......don't think it will be that much this go around, but that storm was decent up to eZF

1 minute ago, yoda said:

12z CMC is still a nice hit... 4-8 for most

It is a nice hit.

CMC does this though... it seems to consolidate these southern stream short waves quicker. Not always how it plays out. I feel the GFS/Euro tend to have higher skill in picking up small details a little better. Makes a big difference with these delicate timing scenarios 

Everyone will be watching 12z euro today thats for sure

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

If I was to wager a guess, I'd say that I see at least light snow out of this.  All guidance points to that right now.  Could the wheels come off?  Sure, its the mid-atlantic.  

This. We don't need to be reminded that we fail more than we win. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

H5 pattern is not evolving into one that is favorable for a considerable east coast storm as portrayed over the past couple days. Could it change...yes...will it change back? Not likely. It’s been trending like this all year for us. 

I agree with all your analysis except this. For the last 3 weeks we have had one perfect track stj system after another inundate us with qpf but there was no cold to work with.  So are you basing this off the one threat so far when it was. cold in December?  That seems like a small sample. Plus the system wasn't weak or strung out it simply got blocked by an incredibly awful placed lobe of the vortex to our northeast. 

I agree that this is trending away from an amplified solution but not sure I see a seasonal trend to that yet. 

• Like 3

What i see is some taking one run from any model that has a higher end solution and then holding everything else to that standard.  The only trend is that there is an event that can happen.  Details yet to come and not one model has it right this far ahead in time.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Ok. I see where you're coming from. But the point that some people are making here is that the ICON, GGEM, and both GFS's had a more amped coastal idea up until this morning. They all backed off from their previous runs today. Maybe some people don't think that's a trend but I kind of do. It's a trend away from a more amped solution...

Still a ton of time. Wouldn't be suprised if this thing still has one more major change up it's sleeve before game time....for the better or worse. 

I don't disagree with you there.

I guess my point was more that the amped solution is absent largely impart to NS and SS interaction and the timing of confluence. Change anyone of those three variables and the amped solutions could make a reappearance. Albeit, your point is probably that it is unlikely those solutions will come back, to which, I would probably have to agree.

I agree with all your analysis except this. For the last 3 weeks we have had one perfect track stj system after another inundate us with qpf but there was no cold to work with.  So are you basing this off the one threat so far when it was. cold in December?  That seems like a small sample. Plus the system wasn't weak or strung out it simply got blocked by an incredibly awful placed lobe of the vortex to our northeast. 
I agree that this is trending away from an amplified solution but not sure I see a seasonal trend to that yet. 
The seasonal trend is we can rain but not snow
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Cherish your dusting Sunday like your first born

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We haven't been in a cold enough pattern to realize a seasonal pattern yet.  We had 2 legit threats during our previous cold periods Mid November and early Dec with nice systems ejecting from the west into a cold airmass.  One hit and one got suppressed.  This is now the first such threat since.  In between the general storm track has been great just no cold thanks to the pacific pattern.  Not sure I am ready to declare what you are implying yet.  

• Like 2

This is what drives me nuts about this place at times.  Just a few days ago people were hopeful the puke pattern would improve and it was progged for the 13th.  A couple model runs showed a glimmer there might be a surprise before then.  So we go from this

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png

to now a chance of this and you all are complaining?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png

It might be a poof but its not done and over by any means on tuesday.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, H2O said:

What i see is some taking one run from any model that has a higher end solution and then holding everything else to that standard.  The only trend is that there is an event that can happen.  Details yet to come and not one model has it right this far ahead in time.

This!!!   a voice of reason!

1 minute ago, H2O said:

This is what drives me nuts about this place at times.  Just a few days ago people were hopeful the puke pattern would improve and it was progged for the 13th.  A couple model runs showed a glimmer there might be a surprise before then.  So we go from this

Couldn’t have said it better. I’m happy that it’s going to snow maybe. 2-4” at the low end.  Sold. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Plus the GEFS ensemble mean has shifted north and has 0,25" line on the city during on period. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is what drives me nuts about this place at times.  Just a few days ago people were hopeful the puke pattern would improve and it was progged for the 13th.  A couple model runs showed a glimmer there might be a surprise before then.

The loudest voice in the room rarely belongs to the smartest mind.  PSU is the exception here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, usedtobe said:

stormvista has us in 6-8 on its snow product.  Wont' get excited until the Euro trends north.  The 06Z looked encouraging at its end.

Yea, euro has been stubborn with the weak/sheared solution. I like PSU's logic that all southern waves have carried juice this year. Most wasted with rainfall but the seasonal trend has not been for weak/washed out light QPF events. We're all pretty much beggars at this point in the season so any snow will be good snow. It's been a rough first 5-6 weeks of met winter in these parts (and many parts of the conus). 

• Like 1

Just now, usedtobe said:

stormvista has us in 6-8 on its snow product.  Wont' get excited until the Euro trends north.  The 06Z looked encouraging at its end.

Certainly a bit early to be hanging our hats on OP runs of any model. The ensembles are still hinting at a decent event. That GEFS run is very encouraging

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic