• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

NS energy is not as sharp/further east/out ahead of the SS short wave. No real interaction(phase) and the timing is such that it suppresses it. 

People (not you because I know you are fully aware of this) are getting too hung up in the GFS op runs. The GFS run to run variance on the 500s is running really rough at this point. Though not great they should probably be concentrating on the GEFS. It has shown much less run to run volatility.

The latest from LWX:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

Very strong high pressure (1040+ mb) builds in from the Arctic

across southeastern Canada toward New England Friday into

Saturday. Meanwhile, amplifying (but narrow) ridge over the

Rockies forces downstream height falls as two shortwaves begin

to interact crossing the Central Plains states. This will cause

low pressure to develop over the Gulf Coast and track east-

northeastward. Guidance has been very consistently trending more

amplified over the last couple days, so will maintain high end

chance PoPs (for snow given cold air in place) Saturday night

through Sunday. GFS/GEFS is by far the most aggressive guidance

(along with the 0z operational CMC), but ECMWF holding out that

an upper low coming ashore of southern CA over the weekend will

undercut the ridging over the Rockies, causing less downstream

amplification and phasing. Regardless, nearly all guidance

including the 0z ECMWF as well as virtually every ensemble

member has at least some measurable snowfall, they just differ

(and quite significantly) on finer scale details and amounts.

15 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

People (not you because I know you are fully aware of this) are getting too hung up in the GFS op runs. The GFS run to run variance on the 500s is running really rough at this point. Though not great they should probably be concentrating on the GEFS. It has shown much less run to run volatility.

My concern is the Euro/EPS. Holding steady with the flat, diffuse, strung out look.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I guess this could be related to the fact that the model is running on its own without anyone monitoring the data as that Washington post article said. 

So the government has shut down our snow too? Pfffft. Figures. 

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

My concern is the Euro/EPS. Holding steady with the flat, diffuse, strung out look.

Think you already know my stance. Been going with the weak, suppressed southern slider ala Euro for awhile now. Just too many concerns at this time with the NS. Could something time up or we see a better 500 setup? Sure, that is why we are seeing some of these great solutions. I just think with what I am seeing that the odds are stacked somewhat heavily against that at this time. I am rooting for you all nonetheless. Even if it would cause me great pain to be reading about a foot or more in my BY while I am in Vegas. :)

• Haha 1

All the maps aren't out yet on the GFS FV3 but I think you will like what it has to show. Not that it is right mind you, but it has better handled and been more consistent with the 500's the last few days then the GFS so it has that going for it.

eta: snow maps are out. Though it doesn't show the shellacking from the previous run it does throw generally 7-10 inches through the DC/Balt region.

23 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Think you already know my stance. Been going with the weak, suppressed southern slider ala Euro for awhile now. Just too many concerns at this time with the NS. Could something time up or we see a better 500 setup? Sure, that is why we are seeing some of these great solutions. I just think with what I am seeing that the odds are stacked somewhat heavily against that at this time. I am rooting for you all nonetheless. Even if it would cause me great pain to be reading about a foot or more in my BY while I am in Vegas. :)

Think the Euro still makes some changes? Feel like it’s well known biases could still be holding it back from a better solution. That said, I’m guessing you won’t have to worry about a foot, but the answer is a happy medium between the globals. We are far from the end game here (says Captain Obvious). ;)

5 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Think the Euro still makes some changes? Feel like it’s well known biases could still be holding it back from a better solution. That said, I’m guessing you won’t have to worry about a foot, but the answer is a happy medium between the globals. We are far from the end game here (says Captain Obvious). ;)

Just haven't liked the timing nor the placement of the NS as the system runs to our south. Though something could time up it is extremely hard to do. More then likely that setup argues for the NS interfering more then anything else. So while I pretty strongly believe this will be a minor event at best I wouldn't be shocked if in fact you all rolled a seven and get hammered. 

eta: In other words, I would definitely still keep an eye on things.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic