Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Personal Best (Most "Extreme") Weather Event of 2018

George BM

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Definitely the March windstorm. Scary and prolonged event. Nothing freaks me out like wind.

We do wind well, sadly.

Not tropical wind though. ;) 

...And yeah the March 2nd wind event blows everything else out the water for me last year. Adrenaline pumping and prolonged event. Nothing excites me like wind.

We don't do tropical wind well, sadly. 

The late May deluge that dropped 10 to 12 inches in central Albemarle county..... just west of Charlottesville.... 3.7 at my house roughly 20 miles west of there...The heaviest convective rain in this general area since June 95 when 30.5 fell in Madison County..... NOT my favorite event because unfortunately it turned deadly..... But it was the most extreme event locally. ...For my area it was the mid Nov ice storm... That night was insane... Booms , bangs and cracks the entire night , with multi colored lights lighting up the sky.... Still have debris piles scattered around eastern Augusta.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I totally forgot about the wind storm. Was I out of town? Is there a thread?

Yes you were out of town. You were chasing the snowy part of the storm up north. IIRC, I believe t'was the storm where your girlfriend made you miss out on experiencing 42" of snow. March 1st-2nd.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GATECH said:

Had to be that one sunny Saturday in late June where I actually could use my pool without fear of being rained on.

On a serious note the wind event in March was tops, however the snow on March 21 and in November were cool, mostly because the day after those events I was traveling to the Caribbean the next day (a cruise in March and to the Cayman Islands in November).  Weird to go from cold and snow to sun and flip flops in 24 hrs.  I am accepting donations for a trip to Hawaii if anyone wants to contribute, I am sure the snow gods would reward us with a HECS the day before I was to leave!!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it was not in the forum, but the severe storm I drove through in Arkansas on the way to Texas was wicked. Never seen rain reduce visibility under 100 feet before. I was doing 40 in a 75 along with many others. Lightning strikes constant and some pea sized hail. Parked at a rest stop after we exited the cell and looked at radar. Sure enough, 65 dBZ over the highway basically not moving. Pure pulse severe, but with tropical like PWAT's, it was intense as I've seen. The southeast is something. 

• Like 1

Tornadoes from the remnants of Hurricane Florence in the Richmond area on Sept 17.  A trying afternoon and early evening for our School Division, as middle schools had just dismissed when the first warning was posted in our County (Henrico).  Some students sheltered at schools, but many buses were on the road.  We radioed drivers to seek shelter, but some kept on dropping off students.  Final buses got off the road at 8:30 pm after kids stayed in school shelters until 6:30. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2018/09/18/tornado-swarm-ripped-through-richmond-florence-passed-through-monday-heres-what-happened/?utm_term=.8f00225b6a5e

AHLDEAZKP5DSJGEKINXIYQVEDI.png

• Like 2