Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memory Lane

Rjay

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jm1220 said:

We were stuck in a dry slot while SNE over to E PA were slammed. What E PA had we were supposed to. 

One of our bigger busts although it doesn't get mentioned much.

The forecast was for 8 to 16 inches of snow, which would have rivaled April 1982 (though not for cold of course) had it happened.

April 1996 was also a bit of a bust (not for Long Island though) as 6-12 inches was forecast and somehow Manhattan got less than an inch and Queens got 4-5 inches (as did we in Western Nassau County) while east of here got upwards of a foot!

I did enjoy watching the Yankees play their home opener in what looked like heavy snow with the snow accumulating on their baseball caps lol

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The anniversary of the historic April 1982 blizzard, it would be lovely to see satellite images, weather maps and photos from his historic event!

Awesome childhood memories.  Simpler times.  This one is a favorite of mine from WABC-TV.  I may have even originally been introduced to this clip here years ago.

Edit:  Just saw that bluewave had posted the WABC-TV clip earlier in the other thread, so I removed it to reduce clutter here.

Memories of watching this on the couch, thawing out, in for the day, while Mom put our soaked clothes in the dryer while something good was cooking on the stove.   And I wonder why I enjoy the snow so much...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Awesome childhood memories.  Simpler times.  This one is a favorite of mine from WABC-TV.  I may have even originally been introduced to this clip here years ago.

Edit:  Just saw that bluewave had posted the WABC-TV clip earlier in the other thread, so I removed it to reduce clutter here.

Memories of watching this on the couch, thawing out, in for the day, while Mom put our soaked clothes in the dryer while something good was cooking on the stove.   And I wonder why I enjoy the snow so much...

I have no memory of it but there are Easter pictures of my brother and me in orange suits with a pile of snow nearby

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a storm that is listed as the #34 biggest NOAA-calculated NESIS storm. The Blizzard of 2006. It was quite impactful, and seemingly did not have an extremely low pressure at the time shown here on these charts. It didn't have a very high pressure north of the storm. It didn't seem to follow the rules as far as the blocking or convergent jet structure. I think it just kind of hit the frontogenesis factors right, for a long time.

2006021206_HGHT500.png

NARR4pTEMP_2006021206.png

NARR4pSYN1_2006021206.png

20060214.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, suzook said:

Dec 19, 2009 we got 26 inches of snow here on eastern LI. Ahh, the good ole days 

Absolutely clobbered! I was in Long Branch for that storm while going to school at MU, and I remember about 18 inches. It was a beast of a storm and an ATG snow memory. 

Then to have Boxing Day a year later? What an incredibly improbable back to back hit. 

I have tons of pics of the 2009 storm somewhere, I’m going to be looking for them and hopefully get them posted. 

Best storm of my life. Can’t believe it’s been 13 years. We’re all gwttinf very old now sigh 

I remember the GFS run during Christmas Day that clobbered us. My buddy was texting me, we still didn’t believe it until the euro that night came
On board. Here in Philly the lead up of the event was more fun than the actually storm itself since we sort of got fringed of the good stuff, still a great memory.

• Like 1