• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memory Lane

Rjay

Yeah, remember watching the radar and looking at the precipitation shield struggle to push back onto the Jersey coast. Was like, “yeahhhhh this isn’t happening.”

Definitely the most prominent negative bust in my memory. 

We’ve really had some fun storms though, bad years be damned. Nothing but amazing memories of NJ snow (obligatory yes I grew up during a good period, there were other good periods in the past it’s more likely the unholy era people refer to so frequently was just bad IMO). Sorry, had a few tonight. Resin Double IPA, good stuff! Drowning away my sorrows while it’s drowning rain outside and, *checks Tempest*, 52 degrees. :axe:

• Like 1

Yeah, remember watching the radar and looking at the precipitation shield struggle to push back onto the Jersey coast. Was like, “yeahhhhh this isn’t happening.”

We’ve really had some fun storms though, bad years be damned. Nothing but amazing memories of NJ snow (obligatory yes I grew up during a good period, there were other good periods in the past it’s more likely the unholy era people refer to so frequently was just bad IMO). Sorry, had a few tonight. Resin Double IPA, good stuff! Drowning away my sorrows while it’s drowning rain outside and, *checks Tempest*, 52 degrees. :axe:

My dad called me that evening and said, “I can see the moon.” nary a flake.

Quite a tempest out there.

26 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

This feels like that famous song about New Years lol

snow changing to rain and all that drinking lol

35 minutes ago, North and West said:

giphy.gif

Could be worse. I missed both Jan 2015 and 2016 storms because I was living in TX at the time. 

In Long Beach-my home town, Jan 2015 was a very impressive but not historic event, about 15” there. Jan 2016 was all time historic, 24-30”. You can imagine what gut punches those were. The day you guys were getting buried, it was 78 and bright sunny in Austin. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Could be worse. I missed both Jan 2015 and 2016 storms because I was living in TX at the time. 

In Long Beach-my home town, Jan 2015 was a very impressive but not historic event, about 15” there. Jan 2016 was all time historic, 24-30”. You can imagine what gut punches those were. The day you guys were getting buried, it was 78 and bright sunny in Austin. 

15"? I thought we got 10" like Central Park did lol.

Jan 2016 was our one and only 30" :-) I got 30" at both my houses, two states apart, and that requires some doing, it was a straight latitude storm.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

15"? I thought we got 10" like Central Park did lol.

Jan 2016 was our one and only 30" :-) I got 30" at both my houses, two states apart, and that requires some doing, it was a straight latitude storm.

I have no idea really what Long Beach got in Jan 2015, I was going by other Nassau totals and pictures I saw from around town that looked like around that much. Jan 2016 it was clear was probably an all timer. My benchmark personally is Jan 1996 and the snow looked even deeper than that. My brother sent me a picture of our garage almost totally buried. 

• Like 1

That still sounds lovely!

Why come back? Did you miss the taxes?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I have no idea really what Long Beach got in Jan 2015, I was going by other Nassau totals and pictures I saw from around town that looked like around that much. Jan 2016 it was clear was probably an all timer. My benchmark personally is Jan 1996 and the snow looked even deeper than that. My brother sent me a picture of our garage almost totally buried. 

It looked like the Alps used to look in 1996 lol.

It even beat PD2 although that was our previous record holder

In Jan 1996 the snow drifts were so high the SUVs were getting stuck in them all over town.

It all melted a week later in a flooding rainstorm and roof collapses though.

That was a snowy winter with thaws in between, which is utterly fine.

8 hours ago, jm1220 said:

15” should be about right, we had 18” in wantagh. The furthest west part of the deform band got to about eastern queens. Had cpk not gotten 5” from a freak sound effect band before the mane precip shield it would have been a total non event. 

26 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

15” should be about right, we had 18” in wantagh. The furthest west part of the deform band got to about eastern queens. Had cpk not gotten 5” from a freak sound effect band before the mane precip shield it would have been a total non event. 

I remember that but that's the first time I've ever heard of sound effect getting into Manhattan lol.

The 30" from Jan 2016 was a once in a lifetime experience and completely wiped out my memory of Jan 2015, which to me was a superior winter to 13-14.

Hi for those of us, old enough to remember back to 1973 or I seriously doubt 1914...

Here are some snowless goals: (( never care about the consecutive days streak since I don't think most of us can remember this but we do tend to know what it's later than usual).

Latest ever measurable snow:

NYC Jan 29, 1973.         POR 1869

PHL Trace the winter of 72-73!  POR 1884

BWI Feb 21, 1973.          POR 1892

DCA FEB 13, 1914.         POR 1884

If anyone has information that this is wrong, please let me know and I'll correct.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Hi for those of us, old enough to remember back to 1973 or I seriously doubt 1914...

Here are some snowless goals: (( never care about the consecutive days streak since I don't think most of us can remember this but we do tend to know what it's later than usual).

Latest ever measurable snow:

NYC Jan 29, 1973.         POR 1869

PHL Trace the winter of 72-73!  POR 1884

BWI Feb 21, 1973.          POR 1892

DCA FEB 13, 1914.         POR 1884

If anyone has information that this is wrong, please let me know and I'll correct.  Thank you.

Walt, didn't Philly also only get a T in 1997-98?