Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

• 2 weeks later...

While we await the pattern change to a potentially snowy pattern, one unforgettable past storm was the Boxing Day Blizzard of 2010. Until close to the event, many models showed only a minor event. Things changed rapidly, as detailed in snippets from NWS area forecast discussions.

By the time the snow ended, snowfall totals included:

Atlantic City: 19.0"
Bricktown, NJ: 30.0"
Butler, NJ: 22.0" Drifts to four feet
Elizabeth, NJ: 31.8"
Harriman, NY: 26.0"
Islip: 14.2"
Jersey City: 26.0"
Lincoln Park, NJ: 29.0" Drifts over three feet
Lyndhurst, NJ: 29.0"
New York City: 20.0"
Newark: 24.2"
North Massapequa, NY: 23.5"
Philadelphia: 12.4"
Rahway, NJ: 32.0"
Upton, NY: 18.8"

image.jpeg.3e0d2300997be2191ab8e566ba7e3bd6.jpeg

image.jpeg.65a69bae586ddd1aa79ae0cfe71a03ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.fde2da69f68fcca4122ba0d501979e2c.jpeg

image.jpeg.3daaf992942e2c54d2fd01e836d7a29f.jpeg

image.jpeg.ad28fd17fa11f4a887a692b5ef996e92.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nibor said:

Interesting storm here.  Normally the LE that we received would have been enough to get us easily into the 15 - 20" range, but the high winds and fractured snowflakes struggled to get past 12".  If memory serves, there was also some graupel, but mostly I remember the wind.  That was a great year for snow cover.  The December snow dwindled down to 2" by 1/7, but then replenished and we had constant snow cover of at least 2" until February 28, with 10" or more from January 12 to February 17.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jm1220 said:

12/26/10 was an amazing event in Long Beach. All out blizzard conditions most of that night. We probably ended with around 18”. We were in heavy snow for most of it but the best banding was to the west. 

Monmouth county jackpot as usual.

3 feet there!  Remember that deck cam lol?

It's been 20 years since a significant early season snowstorm blanketed the area and ushered in of the metro's greatest winters with snow falling into April.

A year later an even bigger storm hit the area with many places receiving 12-18"

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/05-Dec-02.html

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03.html

Screenshot_20221205_092303_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_092555_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Fantom X said:

Today is the anniversary of the 2009 blizzard.  It was the largest total I received locally in Shirley NY at 21" between 2009-2018

I remember that was the mostly overnight snowstorm. I slept during most of it lol.  Got so exhausted tracking for days and the delay of its onset that I fell asleep right before it started and woke up in the morning just after it ended.  I hate night time snowstorms....

On 12/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, gravitylover said:

You keep saying that but you also appreciate the extremes. To get max accumulations and minimum societal impacts, overnight storms are what you want. Drink a cup of coffee at 8pm and get over yourself.

It's a lot more than that, they are hard to photograph.  You can have great day time snowstorms any time of the snow season.  Remember April 2003?  That was absolutely amazing and one of my all time favorites.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, LibertyBell said:

It's a lot more than that, they are hard to photograph.  You can have great day time snowstorms any time of the snow season.  Remember April 2003?  That was absolutely amazing and one of my all time favorites.

Oh, yea i remember that storm very well :gun_bandana:

What a horrible way to end a great season. In CT it was a major bust, might be top 5 of all time. We went from a watch converted to warning for 6-12 with very strong wording - near blizzard conditions and snowfall rates of 1-3" per hour. Very light white rain during the morning and afternoon later changed to a mixture of snow, sleet and graupel. We ended up with about an inch of slop. I remember the radar being extremely disorganized and showery in nature, storm never really got its act together. You guys in the NYC/LI area definitely did better but i do remember it being nearly all on grassy surfaces/car tops/benches etc with a lot of the roads just wet. Looks like a general 4-7" or so. 

NJSnow-07Apr03.png.a6a7176e5a9cab70df262612cfb5034f.png945614248_Screenshot2022-12-28012455.thumb.png.c690c5267ad30f881e7d6db2bf033832.png

1535435584_Screenshot2022-12-28011733.png.f5a30e968b24634a8dcd8bc8608f41fa.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 1:27 AM, The 4 Seasons said:

Oh, yea i remember that storm very well :gun_bandana:

What a horrible way to end a great season. In CT it was a major bust, might be top 5 of all time. We went from a watch converted to warning for 6-12 with very strong wording - near blizzard conditions and snowfall rates of 1-3" per hour. Very light white rain during the morning and afternoon later changed to a mixture of snow, sleet and graupel. We ended up with about an inch of slop. I remember the radar being extremely disorganized and showery in nature, storm never really got its act together. You guys in the NYC/LI area definitely did better but i do remember it being nearly all on grassy surfaces/car tops/benches etc with a lot of the roads just wet. Looks like a general 4-7" or so. 

NJSnow-07Apr03.png.a6a7176e5a9cab70df262612cfb5034f.png945614248_Screenshot2022-12-28012455.thumb.png.c690c5267ad30f881e7d6db2bf033832.png

1535435584_Screenshot2022-12-28011733.png.f5a30e968b24634a8dcd8bc8608f41fa.png

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.  It was about 6 inches here....I guess the rates are what kept it mostly snow here (changed to drizzle right at the end) and some of the heaviest daytime snow I saw that year-- which is saying a lot lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of better times. With the exception of 1/29/22 which gave me 16 inches here at the Toms River / Manchester border, 1/4/18 was the last storm that really bulls-eyed me relative to the rest of the subforum, though Long Island also got clobbered. This was a fantastic storm that I constantly think back to. 

IUtjBro.jpg

phFfwaT.png

KUxKaDZ.jpg

SOFExfw.png

2ogHa77.jpg

And up at my office west of EWR. That was an extremely challenging (but fun, I’m a psycho) commute up the parkway. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Thinking of better times. With the exception of 1/29/22 which gave me 16 inches here at the Toms River / Manchester border, 1/4/18 was the last storm that really bulls-eyed me relative to the rest of the subforum, though Long Island also got clobbered. This was a fantastic storm that I constantly think back to. 

IUtjBro.jpg

phFfwaT.png

KUxKaDZ.jpg

SOFExfw.png

2ogHa77.jpg

And up at my office west of EWR. That was an extremely challenging (but fun, I’m a psycho) commute up the parkway. 

One of my very few all day zero visibility blizzards!

I call it semi- January 2016, because everything about it (snowfall totals, blizzard duration, etc.) was exactly half of January 2016!

I really loved that all day white out!

• Like 1

Yup!! Was a fun one. You can see in the pic my old 6 speed BMW 128i; didn’t have my WRX yet and there was no way in hell that car was making it 60 miles up the parkway in that kind of storm. At that time I would borrow my dad’s F150 and damn, what a harrowing commute that was. Worst parkway conditions I’ve personally driven on in quite a few years. It was an engaging ride to say the least lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

One of my very few all day zero visibility blizzards!

I call it semi- January 2016, because everything about it (snowfall totals, blizzard duration, etc.) was exactly half of January 2016!

I really loved that all day white out!

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ba73fea513173c68afa7514991f128.jpeg

Almost no cars were out on the Parkway at this time, held my phone up to the side to take a few images after slowing to a crawl with no cars ahead or behind me. It was just freaky. I don’t remember if there was a state of emergency or an order to stay off the roads, but I’ll never forget how deserted both commutes were. Very few times I can recall the parkway looked like this (with respect to a complete lack of car density). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Yup!! Was a fun one. You can see in the pic my old 6 speed BMW 128i; didn’t have my WRX yet and there was no way in hell that car was making it 60 miles up the parkway in that kind of storm. At that time I would borrow my dad’s F150 and damn, what a harrowing commute that was. Worst parkway conditions I’ve personally driven on in quite a few years. It was an engaging ride to say the least lol. 

It was more fun than Boxing Day!

37 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ba73fea513173c68afa7514991f128.jpeg

Almost no cars were out on the Parkway at this time, held my phone up to the side to take a few images after slowing to a crawl with no cars ahead or behind me. It was just freaky. I don’t remember if there was a state of emergency or an order to stay off the roads, but I’ll never forget how deserted both commutes were. Very few times I can recall the parkway looked like this (with respect to a complete lack of car density). 

Thanks for these-- I don't have any images from that storm, so I'm saving these!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks for these-- I don't have any images from that storm, so I'm saving these!

I had to go way back through thousands of camera roll pics and screenshot them to get them to the top to easily find in my Imgur app, so forgive the goofy way I had to post them. 

When I have time I’ll try to go back through them and email to myself and them upload and post the images properly, I also should have a few more I didn’t post for you. So you can have the actual proper images. Just need some time and I can do that for you. I’ll tag you with a reply when I do it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I had to go way back through thousands of camera roll pics and screenshot them to get them to the top to easily find in my Imgur app, so forgive the goofy way I had to post them. 

When I have time I’ll try to go back through them and email to myself and them upload and post the images properly, I also should have a few more I didn’t post for you. So you can have the actual proper images. Just need some time and I can do that for you. I’ll tag you with a reply when I do it. 

Thanks!  That was such a fun storm!  Do you have any videos of the white out conditions too?

• Like 1