SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

And the next day it snowed. They had to cancel trick or treating here because it was still sketchy with branches falling and blocked streets with no power. 

I think you're remembering 2011's snowstorm here. It did snow after Sandy, but not til after Halloween. The damage from the 2011 snowstorm, followed in 2012 by Sandy, probably ruined Halloween 2 years in a row in some places.

• Like 4

What a monster Sandy was. 10 years ago today. Probably one of the most powerful storms that most of us experienced. I wasn't in an area that flooded, that alone was crazy enough, but the winds were nothing like I've ever seen. The sustained winds of 40-60+mph were just insane. It's not like a gust of 40-60mph which is strong, it was sustained at those speeds. Seeing the trees bend like never before and lucky that some didn't snap. The gusts were insane, many gusts were 70-90mph. I remember looking at the clouds race across the sky from east to west faster than I've ever seen. I kinda wish I could go back in time just to relive the event.

13 hours ago, famartin said:

I think you're remembering 2011's snowstorm here. It did snow after Sandy, but not til after Halloween. The damage from the 2011 snowstorm, followed in 2012 by Sandy, probably ruined Halloween 2 years in a row in some places.

Right in 2011 we had the big heatwave in July, then the earthquake in August and then then historic rains in August with Irene and then a big weekend stalled front and then Snowtober just before Halloween.  In 2012 we had Sandy just before Halloween and then the big snowstorm on November 7th which dropped 8 inches here and 14 inches in Freehold.  Lots of downed tree branches and limbs because the snow was so wet.  I remember in both early season snows, LGA had white rain while it was snowing at JFK.  Wind from the north and northeast off the Sound made it milder on the north shore.

I hate that the media keeps calling it "Superstorm."

There is no such thing as a "Superstorm" scientifically speaking, it isn't defined in any text.

Some of the insurance companies tried to screw people over because this wasn't officially a hurricane at landfall.  Honestly who cares-- it was a hurricane when it caused the most damage and it only became not a hurricane a couple of hours before landfall. I'm so glad the NHC decided to change the way it handles these.

Bloomberg was ridiculous in that he never understood that.

I want a separate definition for temperate hurricanes vs tropical hurricanes.  Because people respond to the word "hurricane" with more urgency just like they do to the word "blizzard" (which is why we need to separate a ground blizzard from a synoptic blizzard-- which should be any storm that is predicted to drop a foot or more of snow.)

2 hours ago, TWCCraig said:

What a monster Sandy was. 10 years ago today. Probably one of the most powerful storms that most of us experienced. I wasn't in an area that flooded, that alone was crazy enough, but the winds were nothing like I've ever seen. The sustained winds of 40-60+mph were just insane. It's not like a gust of 40-60mph which is strong, it was sustained at those speeds. Seeing the trees bend like never before and lucky that some didn't snap. The gusts were insane, many gusts were 70-90mph. I remember looking at the clouds race across the sky from east to west faster than I've ever seen. I kinda wish I could go back in time just to relive the event.

The transformers blowing up all night were like the Fourth of July. Long Beach where I lived at the time was obviously devastated beyond anything anyone’s ever seen there. My parents’ home was unlivable for about 3 months after being trashed (and they were lucky compared to others on our street). Plenty of wind damage too, part of a roof on a building on National Blvd blew away. Feet of sand pushed into the city, explosions/fires etc. So yeah, that was my #1 worst storm. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

I'll never forget the sound of Sandy.  Like a jet engine roaring all day. 

The stuff I saw when I was out in the storm was nuts.  

I rode out the storm near Bald Hill, one of LI’s highest points, and the winds there were violent. Gusts had to have been clearing 100mph, and on a hill with virtually no obstructions the floor was vibrating (concrete foundation). 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:50 PM, forkyfork said:

i looked at the sandy obs thread and you can tell when everyone lost power

I lived right off sunrise highway at the time, main road, I was the only one of all my friends and family that never lost power. I remember getting food from grocery store dirt cheap because they had to get rid of it and we stocked up 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, Cfa said:

I rode out the storm near Bald Hill, one of LI’s highest points, and the winds there were violent. Gusts had to have been clearing 100mph, and on a hill with virtually no obstructions the floor was vibrating (concrete foundation). 

gusts were pretty uniform through the area.... 85-90 mph, highest gust recorded was 96 mph

On 10/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, jm1220 said:

The transformers blowing up all night were like the Fourth of July. Long Beach where I lived at the time was obviously devastated beyond anything anyone’s ever seen there. My parents’ home was unlivable for about 3 months after being trashed (and they were lucky compared to others on our street). Plenty of wind damage too, part of a roof on a building on National Blvd blew away. Feet of sand pushed into the city, explosions/fires etc. So yeah, that was my #1 worst storm. 

We're likely going to have a big sea wall built to prevent this kind of damage from happening again.

Trillion dollar project.