Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

Damn, the Blizzard of 96 was 26 years ago?

It's crazy right?  Looking back, during the Blizzard of '96 people were  referencing  '78 and '83 which by that time felt like they happened in the stone age.   But only 13 years elapsed between '83 and '96, and it's now been twice that long since '96 as you said.    Next year will be *30* years since the '93 superstorm, which feels like yesterday.  It's going too fast, someone make it slow down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

It's crazy right?  Looking back, during the Blizzard of '96 people were  referencing  '78 and '83 which by that time felt like they happened in the stone age.   But only 13 years elapsed between '83 and '96, and it's now been twice that long since '96 as you said.    Next year will be *30* years since the '93 superstorm, which feels like yesterday.  It's going too fast, someone make it slow down.

Yeah as a fairly young kid 1983 seemed ages back to me in 1996 but right now 2009 does not seem that long ago to me at all

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah as a fairly young kid 1983 seemed ages back to me in 1996 but right now 2009 does not seem that long ago to me at all

Time seems to pass faster as one gets older because the relative proportion of any given period of time (for example, one year) compared to your whole life becomes less as one ages.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, coastalplainsnowman said:

Speaking of superstorms this comment made me realize it’ll be a decade since Hurricane Sandy ravaged the area this October…

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I think so. If I'm not mistaken that's when I got my dads Olds wagon stuck right in front of the high school entrance and had to be pushed out. I didn't drive to school again for a month :rolleyes:

I have bad memories of back then, I used to walk 2 miles to school and I was in 5th grade and the sidewalks were icy as hell.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:49 AM, LibertyBell said:

Didn't we have two back to back 4-5 inch  snowfalls that month a few days apart?

they were a week apart...the first storm on the 11th started as rain and measured 5" in Central park...less in southern Brooklyn...the 11th-23rd of January was a very cold period with 10.5" of snow...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

they were a week apart...the first storm on the 11th started as rain and measured 5" in Central park...less in southern Brooklyn...the 11th-23rd of January was a very cold period with 10.5" of snow...

I remember they were both night time storms and I didn't see a single flake of snow fall, they both occurred entirely at night and were very quick moving.

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Were you in O'side back then too? Oh heck, that was pretty much the only time it snowed in the early 80's, how could the sidewalks have been that icy?

Yeah and I walked to school, it was very cold back then in January, so whatever fell stuck around or melted and then refroze as ice which was the worst.  I hated those cold dry Januarys.

Many may remember this date in 2016, but there was a pretty intense blizzard winding down on this date in 2005.  Sorry for the old school Windows .wmv file (probably will prompt download but its only a couple of meg), but for those who don't mind:

http://www.northshorewx.com/images/winter2005/Blizzard05/Blizz0501-56k.wmv

Snowfall totals:

http://www.northshorewx.com/images/winter2005/Blizzard05/20050123contoursS2.gif

PS Also sorry about the HV snowhole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Many may remember this date in 2016, but there was a pretty intense blizzard winding down on this date in 2005.  Sorry for the old school Windows .wmv file (probably will prompt download but its only a couple of meg), but for those who don't mind:

http://www.northshorewx.com/images/winter2005/Blizzard05/Blizz0501-56k.wmv

Snowfall totals:

http://www.northshorewx.com/images/winter2005/Blizzard05/20050123contoursS2.gif

PS Also sorry about the HV snowhole

12-15 here was a snowfall hole too lol.

It's why I like strong el ninos, they are usually huge here.