Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

15 hours ago, uncle W said:

5.7" in NYC...

There were 5 consecutive moderate snowfalls (4 of the 5 reaching low end warning criteria in Suffolk County) during late February and early March 2005.  Snowfall accumulations in this series in NYC were significant as well, ranging up to 7.5" on the 2/28 - 3/1 storm:

http://www.northshorewx.com/20050221.html

February 25, 2005 in NYC (5.7"):

20050225-1013estS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

There were 5 consecutive moderate snowfalls (4 of the 5 reaching low end warning criteria in Suffolk County) during late February and early March 2005.  Snowfall accumulations in this series in NYC were significant as well, ranging up to 7.5" on the 2/28 - 3/1 storm:

http://www.northshorewx.com/20050221.html

February 25, 2005 in NYC (5.7"):

20050225-1013estS.jpg

January and February 2005 had warmth the first half of the month and snow and cold the second half...most of the snowiest winters had at least four storms 4" or more...this year did it...2017-18 also...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, uncle W said:

January and February 2005 had warmth the first half of the month and snow and cold the second half...most of the snowiest winters had at least four storms 4" or more...this year did it...2017-18 also...

here in SW Nassau we've had 4 6"+ storms.....nothing historic and only one double digit storm, but still impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Can’t believe we are *20* years out from the crazy March 2001 heartbreaker.  Yes, some folks cashed in, some pretty well, but still a heartbreaker for most. The two decades to follow have more than made up for it though.

20 years ago - incredible.

I was only 7 and not following the weather at the time, but it must have been a tremendous heartbreak here in NW NJ. Only like 4-5" total after HECS totals forecasted :axe:.

March 3-4th 1960 was one of the greatest March snowstorms in NYC weather history...it would be labled as ablizzard by todays standards...It wasn't cold enough for the old standed of less than 20 degrees with gale winds and heavy snow falling...it was only in the mid 20's for that storm...the morning of the storm the forecast was for snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures...I guess they did not expect a coastal development that took over the cirulation...14-15" fell across the city with huge drifts...It started on a Thursday morning...ended Friday morning...light snow redeveloped late in the afternoon and ended the next morning...another half inch fell...being March the snow melted fast despite one of the coldest starts to March on record...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, uncle W said:

March 3-4th 1960 was one of the greatest March snowstorms in NYC weather history...it would be labled as ablizzard by todays standards...It wasn't cold enough for the old standed of less than 20 degrees with gale winds and heavy snow falling...it was only in the mid 20's for that storm...the morning of the storm the forecast was for snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures...I guess they did not expect a coastal development that took over the cirulation...14-15" fell across the city with huge drifts...It started on a Thursday morning...ended Friday morning...light snow redeveloped late in the afternoon and ended the next morning...another half inch fell...being March the snow melted fast despite one of the coldest starts to March on record...

wasnt that the coldest march on record by a wide margin?

20 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Can’t believe we are *20* years out from the crazy March 2001 heartbreaker.  Yes, some folks cashed in, some pretty well, but still a heartbreaker for most. The two decades to follow have more than made up for it though.

20 years ago - incredible.

Hard to believe...mass hysteria of snatching up food and snow removal materials followed by rage at weather forecasters.....Storm busted twice here as predictions were lowered to 2-4 inches and then we got a foot as we caught the western edge of the CCB

• Like 1

19 hours ago, uncle W said:

in the top 5...not the coldest but coldest of my lifetime by a lot...

Ironic thing is with how cold this February has been purported to be, March 1960 was colder than this......

Back in the 80s this would've been considered an extremely snowy month with slightly above normal temps (or right around normal, since normals back then were 31 in Jan and 33 in Feb.)

17 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Hard to believe...mass hysteria of snatching up food and snow removal materials followed by rage at weather forecasters.....Storm busted twice here as predictions were lowered to 2-4 inches and then we got a foot as we caught the western edge of the CCB

wow thats how close we were to a foot of snow...ended up with 5 here in SW LI....about the same in April 1996 when we were supposed to get like 8-12 lol, up to 16 in Suffolk County and eastern CT.  April 1997 was another big bust, we were supposed to get 8-16 and the joke was on us with only 1-2 with 8 inches or more both to the south and to the north.

That March 2010 storm was wicked on the south shore of LI. In Long Beach, the craziest wind event I saw up to that point with hurricane force gusts and trees coming down everywhere with significant property damage-torn shingles and anything loose. I remember a constant wail from fire/police vehicles in the background along with the roaring winds. From that, to Irene 2011 and Sandy 2012 the vast majority of sturdy large trees in Long Beach were lost so now around town you see a lot of smaller or newly planted trees. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jm1220 said:

That March 2010 storm was wicked on the south shore of LI. In Long Beach, the craziest wind event I saw up to that point with hurricane force gusts and trees coming down everywhere with significant property damage-torn shingles and anything loose. I remember a constant wail from fire/police vehicles in the background along with the roaring winds. From that, to Irene 2011 and Sandy 2012 the vast majority of sturdy large trees in Long Beach were lost so now around town you see a lot of smaller or newly planted trees. 

13 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The 2/25/10 storm a few weeks before that one was also very impressive wind-wise, also decent for snow. I think there was 10” in Long Beach but obviously much more just west where it was all snow. 

That was the first 10 inch snowstorm at JFK that started out as an inch of rain lol.  I was so annoyed that the changeover line took so long to get here.

That storm and March 2010 were the beginning of the windy noreasters, we had a similar period in the 90s that started with the Perfect Storm.

11 minutes ago, famartin said:

Perhaps, but you don't often see 70 mph gusts in heavy snow at LaGuardia...

it was talked about on another sight...it was one of the great March storms of my lifetime...snow was on the ground for a week which is significant for March...

On 3/14/2021 at 12:43 PM, famartin said:

Perhaps, but you don't often see 70 mph gusts in heavy snow at LaGuardia...

amd it was funny how JFK had just as much or a little more snow than  NYC even though the changeover line moved up from that direction.

That storm would have been extremely historic for us had it took a benchmark track, but either way Jan 2016 would eventually have beaten it for us.  IMO Jan 2016 should also have been rated a Cat 5 storm but they did not take into account the 30"+ measurement at JFK.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, uncle W said:

it was talked about on another sight...it was one of the great March storms of my lifetime...snow was on the ground for a week which is significant for March...

it was an icy glacier which is why it stuck around (along with the extremely cold temps in the teens).

April 1982 also stuck around for a week- IMO that was even more special.

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

it was an icy glacier which is why it stuck around (along with the extremely cold temps in the teens).

April 1982 also stuck around for a week- IMO that was even more special.

yeah April 1982 was a once in a lifetime event...I measured 13.5" in the Poconos and when I got home that evening there was 8" on the ground in Brooklyn...the next day was the coldest for so late in the season with a high of 30 with Sunny skies...

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, uncle W said:

yeah April 1982 was a once in a lifetime event...I measured 13.5" in the Poconos and when I got home that evening there was 8" on the ground in Brooklyn...the next day was the coldest for so late in the season with a high of 30 with Sunny skies...

I remember we got another 1 inch at the end of the week too, April 10th?  What a week that was.  Where in the Poconos, near I-80? N/S?

9 hours ago, uncle W said:

Dingmans ferry...2" in the poconos the second event.

I remember Tex making a comment about a first snowflake reaching the ground In sync with the Saint Patrick’s Day parade. I cannot remember any more of the specifics of that more than half century ago event. I was wondering if you can, Unc. As always ....