Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

47 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

Thanks, Uncle, for those always amazing data.  1966 may be my own favorite, even though it was largely sleet.  A lot more snow farther west, if I remember the NESIS map.  It also had Thunder snow, or Thunder sleet.  That;s always a plus.  1961  has good memories too.  A more gentle and fluffy storm.  Here's to another White Christmas, at long last.  We're due for one now.  I'll settle for a 1961 style one.  :weenie::snowing: 

1961 was forecast pretty good by the NWS...they said it will turn to rain but enough snow will be on the ground for Christmas...the snow started the evening of the 23rd and accumulated 3" before changing to drizzle early Christmas eve morning...very light precipitation changed back to snow and it became moderate in the afternoon and ended just before midnight...another 3-4" accumulated...6" was on the ground Christmas morning...

from my uncles home videos...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, uncle W said:

1961 was forecast pretty good by the NWS...they said it will turn to rain but enough snow will be on the ground for Christmas...the snow started the evening of the 23rd and accumulated 3" before changing to drizzle early Christmas eve morning...very light precipitation changed back to snow and it became moderate in the afternoon and ended just before midnight...another 3-4" accumulated...6" was on the ground Christmas morning...

Your family Joe?

21 minutes ago, uncle W said:

yeah...that's me throwing snowballs and shoveling...I was 12...I had hair back then...

A wonderful Video memory. I was living on 75th Street right off 11th Avenue. I was 14 and like you did not have to use sunscreen on my head. The folks, so natural, the decorations, lights on the house. The quadruple headlights on our space age designed cars. A wonderful time. Thank you, as always .......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, uncle W said:

yeah...that's me throwing snowballs and shoveling...I was 12...I had hair back then...

I have tons of photos of my life, started taking them when I was ten. I like to look back thru them every once and awhile, even though I've seen them a million times lol. I actually co owned a photo/video store on Guyon Ave from about 1986-1992.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, uncle W said:

Thanks, Uncle, for the memories.  Nice video!  BTW, I was in N Jersey and traveled into Jersey City on Christmas eve, so I never knew that there was rain.  In any event, I hope that our snows are ash-free.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rclab said:

A wonderful Video memory. I was living on 75th Street right off 11th Avenue. I was 14 and like you did not have to use sunscreen on my head. The folks, so natural, the decorations, lights on the house. The quadruple headlights on our space age designed cars. A wonderful time. Thank you, as always .......

I went to McKinley junior high in 61-62 to 63-64...I played many a softball game in the triangle yard in Mckinley park and the school yard...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

Thanks, Uncle, for the memories.  Nice video!  BTW, I was in N Jersey and traveled into Jersey City on Christmas eve, so I never knew that there was rain.  In any event, I hope that our snows are ash-free.

the president of the polarbear club lived across the street from me and my memory of that morning was seeing him shovel snow in a tee shirt...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I went to McKinley junior high in 61-62 to 63-64...I played many a softball game in the triangle yard in Mckinley park and the school yard...

I played softball there also during the same time period. My mom would take me to the playground when I was 4 or 5. Thank goodness the park was on the east side of 7th Avenue or Robert Moses would have destroyed it also. As always ....

On 9/14/2020 at 6:51 PM, uncle W said:

60's was great for snow around Christmas..that's when I grew up so I thought all Christmas's were snowy and white..lol..little did I know.I guess my expectations took a dive the next 50 years

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 3:26 PM, uncle W said:

a college friend of mine was visiting when Floyd hit, he had never experienced a TC before and he asked me...so this is it?  It's nothing more than a boring old rainstorm!  He wasn't around for Irene or Sandy lol.

Speaking of which, wasn't the 1903 Hurricane similar to Sandy with its track?

The place I was mountain biking today was changed dramatically by Floyd. One section of trail in particular I named Floyd. 21 years later you can still see how 15" of rain in just a few hours ripped 4 feet of topsoil off and rolled 2 foot boulders down the hill. On the other side of the hill there's another spot where the creek that's usually 2-3 feet deep went to 15 in spots and shredded the canyon walls. I was out driving during the heaviest part of the storm and it was intense! I'm glad I did it and saw it rain that hard but I dont think I need to see that again.

• Like 1

• I was handed another find from my hall renovation. Several pages including the back page of the Tuesday, April 28th edition of the New York Daily News, 2 cents. 84 years ago the daily circulation was 1.6 million and Sunday was 2.9 million. Never see those numbers again. I’ve attached six pages including the back page. The pages show a highlight of the stock market still in depression/recovery mode, comics like Moon Mullins and Smitty, baseball articles, including one on the Yankees that mentions a young rookie named Joe DiMaggio. The back page, usually reserved for sports shows a picture of a battle cruiser heading to Panama for what I presume were war games. The winds of war were certainly blowing in 1936 and even a still neutral UnitedStates could feel the chill. As always....

FAE0FC8F-9A1C-4582-99A0-E2A01E3C8762.jpeg

A354FAA8-384E-483C-BAB4-75BBB33CAC76.jpeg

2D39E809-0BEA-4829-9A75-E8640E26654E.jpeg

82997C65-6B1E-448C-94D7-CE03045BF0C7.jpeg

0DFFBA97-D58C-4750-81E4-7B4C955CF1F5.jpeg

7BB0DF64-1AE8-41C1-B989-D30A758A7C35.jpeg

• Like 3