Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

49 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

Thanks, Uncle.  This is great.  One thing about the Christmas eve storm, at least in Jersey City - a lot of sleet, and Thunder.  Would have been deeper, if it had been all snow.  Tracked a bit too close, I reckon.  What I did like, is that the temps were well enough below freezing, at the surface.  I have more memories of that winter - I was working as a deckhand on the harbor - a total misfit - the old Pennsylvania Railroad tugboats.

I want to save that post of yours.  It helps jog my own memories.  I nearly drowned on a frozen railroad car float during the March cold spell.  Someone grabbed me just in time.  Lol.

its funny that 1966 had similar storms in January and then December...both were KU storms and both times the low was very close to us and we got dry slotted...the December storm did have hours of sleet which was a downer...it did changed back to snow once the low got north of us...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I think 2010-11 was somewhat like 1960-61, while 1995-96 was more like 1966-67.  Curiously, both 1995-96 and 2010-11 were la ninas that came after el ninos.  2009-10 was great in its own right and would have been much greater and truly historic had we not missed out on a couple of big storms.

1963-64 is similar to 1995-96...both had a good December and a white Christmas...a Jan blizzard...a snowy February...more snows in March...2010-11 and 1960-61 shut off early...1947-48 can be put in the same category with them but had a comeback after a big Feb. Thaw...1994 had a comeback after a big Feb. thaw...1958 and 1996 had snows after a big Feb. thaw...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, uncle W said:

its funny that 1966 had similar storms in January and then December...both were KU storms and both times the low was very close to us and we got dry slotted...the December storm did have hours of sleet which was a downer...it did changed back to snow once the low got north of us...

I always draw a blank for a few minutes, when mentioning the January 1966 storm where NYC got dry slotted.  I was in the DC area for a family baptism that time, where we got 14 inches, and no baptism.  Was amazed to get back to relatively snowless NJ/NYC then.  I can't find a good snowfall map for this storm online, even though it was a KU/NESIS event.

Early Jan 1966 had some mild weather following a mild holiday season, - I remember a big subway/transit strike in NYC in December 1965, so the weather was merciful to subway/transit users who had to walk to work. :( 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, uncle W said:

1963-64 is similar to 1995-96...both had a good December and a white Christmas...a Jan blizzard...a snowy February...more snows in March...2010-11 and 1960-61 shut off early...1947-48 can be put in the same category with them but had a comeback after a big Feb. Thaw...1994 had a comeback after a big Feb. thaw...1958 and 1996 had snows after a big Feb. thaw...

1966-67 had an exceptionally snowy Christmas too!

The one winter that doesn't seem to fit anywhere is 2014-15.  It really was a great winter (and historic for Boston), even though we didn't get the big hit in January.  But we had a historically cold February and lots of snow and that lasted into March.  I would compare that to 1933-34 except we didn't go below zero.  Maybe 2004-05 is a better comparison for it?

Looking at some of our other historic winters.... 2002-03 was similar to 1977-78....although one was a moderate nino and the other was a weak one, 1977-78 was a second year weak nino which made it more like a moderate.

1 hour ago, stemwinder said:

I always draw a blank for a few minutes, when mentioning the January 1966 storm where NYC got dry slotted.  I was in the DC area for a family baptism that time, where we got 14 inches, and no baptism.  Was amazed to get back to relatively snowless NJ/NYC then.  I can't find a good snowfall map for this storm online, even though it was a KU/NESIS event.

Early Jan 1966 had some mild weather following a mild holiday season, - I remember a big subway/transit strike in NYC in December 1965, so the weather was merciful to subway/transit users who had to walk to work. :( 

1965-66 snowfall total for Norfolk, VA was crazy high (over 40"!) compared to NYC!  The 80s were similar in that areas south of us got more snow than we did.  Our Januarys were dry and cold back then.

We've been catching up a lot the last couple of decades lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

on this date in 1958 NYC got 8-10" of wind swept snow around the area...temperature dropped to 3 degrees a day later...I was in the third grade at the time and remember what I was doing before and after the storm...

I was in the 7th grade in Saint Ephrems . I lived on 75th just off 11th. School was open but my parents kept me home. Spent the entire day outside., wonderful memory. As always. ..

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, LibertyBell said:

1966-67 had an exceptionally snowy Christmas too!

The one winter that doesn't seem to fit anywhere is 2014-15.  It really was a great winter (and historic for Boston), even though we didn't get the big hit in January.  But we had a historically cold February and lots of snow and that lasted into March.  I would compare that to 1933-34 except we didn't go below zero.  Maybe 2004-05 is a better comparison for it?

Looking at some of our other historic winters.... 2002-03 was similar to 1977-78....although one was a moderate nino and the other was a weak one, 1977-78 was a second year weak nino which made it more like a moderate.

The storms in 14-15 were uniformly lame, as well....

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

on this date in 1958 NYC got 8-10" of wind swept snow around the area...temperature dropped to 3 degrees a day later...I was in the third grade at the time and remember what I was doing before and after the storm...

I was in South Orange when this storm hit.  I remember the peculiar crunching sound the snow made underfoot during the low temperatures that followed.

The February storm was a nice one to remember.   I think less of the royal slop fest that came in late March of that year.  Apparently things were better further inland.

1 hour ago, stemwinder said:

I was in South Orange when this storm hit.  I remember the peculiar crunching sound the snow made underfoot during the low temperatures that followed.

The February storm was a nice one to remember.   I think less of the royal slop fest that came in late March of that year.  Apparently things were better further inland.

I remember reading about that storm in February 1958. It was a very cold storm with significant snow to Eastern Long Island, yet the highest accumulations were actually in the Poconos, where many areas had 30-40" in a strip of very heavy snowfall. Interesting that the best dynamics were so far inland. Those same areas were hit just a month later during the KU on March 20 that year as well. The winter was beyond historic for the Poconos, just absurd.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, WarrenCtyWx said:

I remember reading about that storm in February 1958. It was a very cold storm with significant snow to Eastern Long Island, yet the highest accumulations were actually in the Poconos, where many areas had 30-40" in a strip of very heavy snowfall. Interesting that the best dynamics were so far inland. Those same areas were hit just a month later during the KU on March 20 that year as well. The winter was beyond historic for the Poconos, just absurd.

PA weather book lists that winter as dropping 120 inches in Stroudsburg! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

march 1-2 2018 is another recent storm that could have been historic with cooler low levels

we had some unprecedented cold that month and right through April (basically nationwide)....we even had a 6 inch snowstorm in April to snow out the Yankees home opener!

I lost power in the early March event you referenced....didn't the late March event also underperform for the city and western LI?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:30 PM, weatherpruf said:

The storms in 14-15 were uniformly lame, as well....

The big jan 2015 bust by the Euro and Nam

On 3/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, NJwx85 said:

Coming up on the 10th anniversary of my favorite March storm of all time.

qbK0ms1.gif

A lot of flooding here

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

really the only winter event we have not experienced here over the last 20 yrs....would love to see a redux of this one someday

imagine if it was ALL SNOW.

The other one I want to see is a redux of Feb 1921 ALL SNOW.

check out the liquid equivalent of that storm lol. 5" = 50" of snow!

what was going on back then that we had storms like those two?

• 3 weeks later...

before 1982 April snowstorms were of the wet variety...it was snowing hard mid day with temperatures in the mid 20's...the next day with bright sunshine the max temp in NY was only 30 degrees...21 years later there was the 4-7" of snow in 2003...15 years later 4-7" fell  in 2018...since 2011 NYC has seen three early season snowfalls...October 2011...3-6" in the city...early November 2012...4-7"...Nov 2018 with 4-7" also...I think 2018 holds the record for the least amount of days between 5" snowfalls in a year...early April to mid Nov...1938 is a close second but has the record for the least amount of days between 6" snowfalls in a year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, uncle W said:

before 1982 April snowstorms were of the wet variety...it was snowing hard mid day with temperatures in the mid 20's...the next day with bright sunshine the max temp in NY was only 30 degrees...21 years later there was the 4-7" of snow in 2003...15 years later 4-7" fell  in 2018...since 2011 NYC has seen three early season snowfalls...October 2011...3-6" in the city...early November 2012...4-7"...Nov 2018 with 4-7" also...I think 2018 holds the record for the least amount of days between 5" snowfalls in a year...early April to mid Nov...1938 is a close second but has the record for the least amount of days between 6" snowfalls in a year...

we had 5" here in April 1996 on this day, but that one just missed the urban areas :(

over a foot of snow and blizzard conditions in Suffolk County.

on this date in 1875 NYC had its latest heavy snowfall on record...10" was measured in Central Park...temps got as low as 30 during the storm...it wasn't the last of the snow or cold that month...

https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50419405

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030313/1875-04-14/ed-1/seq-6/

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030313/1875-04-14/ed-1/seq-7/

• Like 5

On 4/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, LibertyBell said:

we had 5" here in April 1996 on this day, but that one just missed the urban areas :(

over a foot of snow and blizzard conditions in Suffolk County.

I recorded 1.30" of le and no more than a half inch at one time on the ground for the April 9-10th liquid snow...

• Like 1