Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The 0z Euro, 0z GGEM and 0z GFS were all big hits on December 21th with the UkIe being way ots.  I'm actually re-reading the thread and I'm not sure which model shit the bed first but they all ended up doing it.  The gfs was first to bring it back and that was on the 23rd or 24th.  

Yeah the euro had a 'mother of god' run midweek that had 2 to 3 feet from DC to Boston and everyone went crazy

12 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Anyone post about the Christmas Day afternoon 2002 rain to heavy pasting 6-8''+ snow event?  At least that was the timing on LI.  What a great event.  That stands out for me as one of at most a handful of times that a rain storm actually flipped to significant snow on the backend, despite being held out as a possibility dozens of times before and since.

That snow was flying horizontal and put a more than just a coating on street signs fences and everything else.  Next morning (26th) reminded me of Christmas morning in 'A Christmas Story.'

I was forecasted to get 1 inch of snow after rain with temps in the 40s. The temps started to fall during the day into the mid 30s and the rain turned to snow earlier than forecasted. I turned on TWC ( Paul Kocin was on ) and he said the storm was bombing out earlier than modeled. I ended up with 5 inches. My whole family was shocked because they had to travel home in it.

12 hours ago, Nibor said:

I was down in Monmouth county for the storm at my sisters house. She lives about a quarter mile from Sandy Hook Bay. Couldn’t get an accurate measurement because of the drifting. There was a snow drift up the side of her house that was at least 6 feet. Her car was completely buried under a drift. High snow totals are fun but combine them with 50 mph wind gusts and it’s a completely different experience. 

There was about 10 cars stuck right on my block. The sanitation did a horrible job during the storm.

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Earthlight had deleted the post but @Stormlover74 responded saving the day.

Screenshot_20191226-120336_Chrome.jpg

RIP atownwx

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

everyone gave up until christmas eve

DT said there was no chance of this storm coming back on the models

LOL

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:06 PM, uncle W said:

on this date in 1963 the heavy snow that was falling all afternoon changed to light sleet and freezing drizzle in the late evening...6-7" of snow fell and it was coated with crusty ice...the mix changed back to light snow before ending in the early am hours on the 24th...it stayed cloudy all day with temperatures peaking in the mid 30's after mid 20's in the morning...Christmas eve evening had a period of snow that coated the dirty snow in the streets...6" of snow was on the ground Christmas morning in most areas...the two day totals were...

6.6" in Central Park...

7.4" at Newark airport...

7.2" at LaGuardia airport...

3.7" at JFK...

7.4" at Dobbs Ferry...

7.8" in Elizabeth NJ...

6.2" in Paterson NJ...

6.7" on Staten Island...

6.2" in Brooklyn...

6.5" in Mineola..

JFK undermeasured even back then!

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

JFK undermeasured even back then!

the temperature was just below freezing for most of the storm in NYC and it still changed to a mix that evening ...JFK being right on the water with December Ocean Temperatures could have kept accumulations down there...

19 hours ago, uncle W said:

the 1947 storm...

1947122600.gif

1947122618.gif

What a storm.  I was 10 years old, in Jersey City.  Around New Years, we had an awful freezing rain storm, with no power.  Thankfully we had old dirty gravity fed coal furnace heat back then.  January and early February were a weenie's dream.  

Any technical or synoptic info on that winter is much appreciated.  

• Like 1

Looking back at the past year, one of my favorite chase days of 2019 was May 28th in New Jersey. My chase partner Michael Koch and I were positioning ourselves for a tornado warned cell to our west that already put down a tornado in Pennsylvania when the storm right in front of us decided to drop a tornado as well. We heard the storm start to make a distinct sound and we knew a tornado was on the ground as power flashes began across Lake Hopatcong. We followed the storm as tornado warnings continued all the way to New York City and got to see lighting strike after strike over the skyline.6a9efa7ef56f1ba9fe4dc502f7c245bb.jpgac547195c1cb502c491204ddd9c51939.jpge0c9f9c13c5728c373e748a8302480e0.jpg

• Like 3

1971 was ushered in with a snowstorm that measured 6.4" in Central Park and 7.2" in Bensonhurst Brooklyn....8" in parts of Long Island...9.9" in Dobbs Ferry....snow started falling about 1am and ended in the afternoon...1978 had a 2" snowfall on this date...first inch or more of that season...1976 saw rain that started on 12/31 change to 1" of snow before ending after ball drop in the early am hours...1967 had snow falling for the ball drop at midnight with 3" on the ground...that ended soon after...

• Like 5

On 12/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, uncle W said:

the temperature was just below freezing for most of the storm in NYC and it still changed to a mix that evening ...JFK being right on the water with December Ocean Temperatures could have kept accumulations down there...

Yes but Staten Island and Brooklyn had similar totals to Manhattan and most of Long Island.

23 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I dislike the term "bomb cyclone"- it's like they combined two words that dont belong together into one phrase.  It sounds very awkward. 

It's not exactly a new phrase. The "bomb cyclone" syntax has made occasional appearances in the MWR since the mid-80s, with references to meteorological bombs more generally going back even farther. The media sort of made a mockery of the term in the last couple years, but that's no fault of its own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's not exactly a new phrase. The "bomb cyclone" syntax has made occasional appearances in the MWR since the mid-80s, with references to meteorological bombs more generally going back even farther. The media sort of made a mockery of the term in the last couple years, but that's no fault of its own.

I remember Cantore mentioning this, but I expected something that sounded more scientific like "bombogenic temperocyclonic storm" or maybe just "bombogenic temperate cyclone" lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember Cantore mentioning this, but I expected something that sounded more scientific like "bombogenic temperocyclonic storm" or maybe just "bombogenic temperate cyclone" lol

Sometimes plain-English terminology gets the point across adequately. You don't always need a turboencabulator. :)

• Haha 1