Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

22 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think it happened before the 1993-94 winter.... I remember the Dec 26 1993 storm as being the only all snow event that winter for us lol.  Was a low moving up the coast developing east of ACY dropping 4-5 inches of snow here.

I remember a coast to coast low that went east off of Norfolk that dropped 4-6 inches also, do you remember what year that might have been?  I distinctly remember it because coast to coast lows passing south of us are pretty rare.

The 12/26/93 storm was miserably and I mean miserably handled by NOAA/local mets etc.  They completely abandoned ship off a slight shift east in the 12Z guidance that morning despite the fact by noon the radar along the DE/MD coast was clearly west of the 12Z models.  I think all warnings outside Suffolk got dropped and by 3-4pm it was obvious the snow was coming straight up the coast.  They ended up having to put advisories back up by 7-8pm.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, LibertyBell said:

Maybe someone will remember the year this happened, I know it was in December.....

An arctic front passed through the day and there were snow squalls with almost completely clear skies during the day and high winds, but no accumulations.....

Then at night we had a rogue snow squall move in with partly cloudy skies and a near full moon around 10 PM.  I remember seeing the weather on WPIX and there was a rogue band of snow around JFK and SW Nassau.  It sat there for 2 hours and we had 2 inches of snow in that time, all the while seeing the moon pass through the clouds (or vice versa lol.)  What date did this happen?  It was somewhere between the mid 80s and mid 90s (prior to 92.)

My first thought when I read this was 12/4/91 or the 1/16/92 bust but this one I don't remember.

• Like 1

December 25 - 26, 1976 snow totals.  In addition to the Christmas night fun, this was significant because for most locations it established a snow cover that persisted well into February::

Patchogue 2 N                       7.0
Syosset 5.8
Mineola 5.0
Holbrook 5.0
Islip LI Macarthur AP 4.0
Riverhead Research Farm 4.0
Setauket Strong 4.0
New York JFK Intl AP           3.9
Greenport 3.5
New York La Guardia AP  3.2
NY City Central Park             3.1
Bridgehampton 0.1
Montauk 0.1

Bensonhurst 3.0
Westerleigh (SI) 5.2

Dobbs Ferry 4.6
Scarsdale 5.0
Yorktown Heights 5.0
West Point 3.5
Poughkeepsie 2.7
Walden 4.0
Gardnerville 4.0
Port Jervis 4.0

Bridgeport 5.0
Danbury 5.0
Woodbury, CT 4.0
Stamford (5N) 5.0
Groton 3.5
Middletown, CT 4.0

Newark 4.6
Canistear Reservoir (NJ) 3.5
Charlotteburg Reservoir (NJ) 3.3
Oak Ridge Reservoir 4.0
Sussex 4.0
Cranford, NJ 4.8
Freehold Marlboro 5.0
New Brunswick 6.5
Plainfield 6.0

Boston 2.6
Taunton 1.0
Providence 1.0
Philadelphia 1.7
Baltimore (BWI) Trace

Syosset, NY 8AM 12/26/1976:

19761226Syosset-e2-2019.jpg

And yes, that pine tree is flipping you the bird :)

• Like 1

on this date in 1963 the heavy snow that was falling all afternoon changed to light sleet and freezing drizzle in the late evening...6-7" of snow fell and it was coated with crusty ice...the mix changed back to light snow before ending in the early am hours on the 24th...it stayed cloudy all day with temperatures peaking in the mid 30's after mid 20's in the morning...Christmas eve evening had a period of snow that coated the dirty snow in the streets...6" of snow was on the ground Christmas morning in most areas...the two day totals were...

6.6" in Central Park...

7.4" at Newark airport...

7.2" at LaGuardia airport...

3.7" at JFK...

7.4" at Dobbs Ferry...

7.8" in Elizabeth NJ...

6.2" in Paterson NJ...

6.7" on Staten Island...

6.2" in Brooklyn...

6.5" in Mineola..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone post about the Christmas Day afternoon 2002 rain to heavy pasting 6-8''+ snow event?  At least that was the timing on LI.  What a great event.  That stands out for me as one of at most a handful of times that a rain storm actually flipped to significant snow on the backend, despite being held out as a possibility dozens of times before and since.

That snow was flying horizontal and put a more than just a coating on street signs fences and everything else.  Next morning (26th) reminded me of Christmas morning in 'A Christmas Story.'

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Same here

25 here

I was down in Monmouth county for the storm at my sisters house. She lives about a quarter mile from Sandy Hook Bay. Couldn’t get an accurate measurement because of the drifting. There was a snow drift up the side of her house that was at least 6 feet. Her car was completely buried under a drift. High snow totals are fun but combine them with 50 mph wind gusts and it’s a completely different experience. 

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I seriously dont remember being that optimistic though. I gave up around the 22nd

10 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

everyone gave up until christmas eve

The models only shit the bed for 48 hours (I think).  There was pretty good agreement on the night of December 20th that a big storm was coming.  I think people gave up on the 22nd or 23rd.

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

I think at one point the euro was alone showing a huge hit then every model lost it for a couple days

The 0z Euro, 0z GGEM and 0z GFS were all big hits on December 20th with the UkIe being way ots.  I'm actually re-reading the thread and I'm not sure which model shit the bed first but they all ended up doing it.  The gfs was first to bring it back and that was on the 23rd or 24th.