Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

16 hours ago, Dan76 said:

93-94 was good with multiple storms 10 I think?

15 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Correct. NYC Nickeled and dimed their way to an above average season. Think there was some type of storm almost every week that year though. Extremely active. Earliest memories of snow!

12 hours ago, uncle W said:

1993-94 had over 300 hours with frozen precipitation falling...1919-20 almost as much...1995-96 had just under 300 hours with some kind of frozen precip...I have to check other years like 1947-48 to see which year had the most...

11 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

93-94 was awesome for many reasons.  First, the cold and the snowpack.  Snowcover seemed to last forever that year.   As you said, there was a winter event or two every week.  One week in February we were in the middle of an 8 inch storm on a Tuesday while the radio was talking about another one coming that Friday.  Fresh snowpack on top of frozen old snowpack.  Cold as far as the eye could see on the long range forecasts on TV.  Colleges on LI that hadn't cancelled a day in 18 years cancelling school.  And this wasn't in the middle of a run of snowy winters.  The big storm of any consequence was 11 years prior (Blizzard of 93 was a changeover event for most of us on LI), and during a time where I believe only one or two 10" storms had occurred in the previous decade.  To me not 95/96 with its crazy snow totals on LI and snowfalls into April, nor any of the winters with seemingly annual record breaking blizzards top 93/94, which felt arctic for months on end.

93-94 might still be my favorite winter for the reasons mentioned above.  Although we did better up here in the March 93 blizzard, 93-94 was a wall to wall old fashioned winter in comparison to decade plus of crap leading up to that winter.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kat5hurricane said:

'14-'15 was a lot like that too in the second half particularly. Lots of moderate 4-8 type events but consistent cold keeping the snowpack with what seemed like weekly snow events keeping the pack intact and fresh. That was my favourite winter simply because it was endless winter. '10-'11 had the massive storms but the snowpacks were short lived.

February 2006 might have been my favourite storm because the thundersnow was so intense and long lasting, never seen anything like it before or after. PDIi for the long duration and bitter cold is high up on the list too. So many others over the last 25 years that can be included as well. The '96 Blizzards, Boxing Day, Jan 2016 etc. We've been spoiled big time, a Golden Era of snow this century. I expect a regression to the mean eventually with some relatively snowless winters like last year for instance. 

My first encounter with thundersnow - I thought for sure it would be my last and only experience with it. It was in upstate NY, I think around New Years in 2003(?).  There was a 2 part storm with rain and ice in round one, and then a 15 inch snowfall when the storm hit the coast, so I am thinking it was a Miller B.  I chalked up the thunder and lightening to the rainstorm lifting out and figured its a once in a lifetime deal.  

Since then, I probably experienced it 3 times, 2006 and 2016 certainly, and one time out snowmobiling in the adirondaks in the middle of the night, probably in 2007.  That was WEIRD.  My son and I were trying to get back in town before this particular storm got too ugly, but as we came out of the higher terrain the snow turned to rain and sleet and the skies were lighting up.  He was 10 and freaking out for all the right reasons - Dark, cold, scary weather and alone!  We made it.  

I don't recall thundersnow in 93 or 96 but there must have been, and I could have chalked it up to any number of other things, like a plow truck or a transforming blowing somewhere.    

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

93-94 might still be my favorite winter for the reasons mentioned above.  Although we did better up here in the March 93 blizzard, 93-94 was a wall to wall old fashioned winter in comparison to decade plus of crap leading up to that winter.  

I have family up in NWNJ who probably get similar snowfall outcomes to you on storms that get too close for comfort..During that 80s early 90s stretch as kids I always knew that every big winter storm would bring them tons of fun and snow and sleet to rain and school for me.  Wow did I hate that.

16 hours ago, Snow88 said:

I don't really remember that  winter since I was only 5

I'm 31

I got 11 inches from Jan 2015. Upton's  discussion was very eery for NYC.  They had these words : Dangerous  Crippling Blizzard on the way for the area.

Euro and Nam had the huge totals while the GFS had only a foot and was right. 

Feb 2006 was also great. I got 19 inches in Brooklyn  while  Central Park got 26 inches.

I was under a great snowband which produced 3-5 inches an hour rates.

31 ???????? LOL I have tools in my shed older than you

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Torch said:

True, but other years had bigger more potent storms than that period. But I agree that period was a killer.

we would be basking in 60 degree heat on this date not knowing a major blizzard was a week away...the first half of January 1961 was benign...Sunday the 15th was 50 degrees early in the day...light rain started in the morning and temperatures dropped during the day...the rain changed to sleet in the early afternoon and mixed with snow in the evening...it snowed until eight the next morning...2-3" across the area accumulated...it was in the 40's for two days before an arctic front passed and stalled to our south...a major blizzard with a foot of snow in Brooklyn started just after noon on the 19th...it ended just after noon on the 20th...temps were in the teens with high winds...the temperature did not get above 29 for 16 consecutive days in a row... snow cover melted very slowly and there were two days in a row of clipper snow and another coastal that dropped 4" the next week...the end of January had 9" of snow on the ground...February comes in with near record cold...-2 on the second...there were rumors of storms that week and it was supposed to be on Thursday...it came on Friday the 3rd and ended on the 4th...there was accumulating snow from 6pm to 5pm on the 4th...the temp rose to 34 just after the snow ended stopping the record 16 straight days from 17 straight days with a max freezing or lower...there was 28" on the ground in Brooklyn after 21" fell as snow and sleet...after that storm winter was on its way out with a big thaw and storms after that were to warm for snow on the coast...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this is a great thread.  

One storm I wish I had a chance to see is that lake effect storm out in western NY in November 2016.  60 inches in spots!  We all saw the pictures.  The threads from that storm were unreal.  I love synoptic snows, but you cannot deny 5 feet!  even if its fake ;-)  

Reading these posts reminds me of how many of the big NYC snowstorms of the past 20 years were non-events or underwhelming in Allentown where I grew up. 

December 2003: I remember watching the weather channel nonstop leading up to this storm, which ended up busting somewhat for NYC but which only dropped 6" in Allentown. We even changed over to sleet for a while, which wasn't forecasted. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03.html

February 2006: For whatever reason I have zero memory of this storm. I had never heard of it prior to joining this board. The snowmaps for this storm are inconsistent but it appears that Allentown was just north of the best banding and ended up with 8-10". http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2006/12-Feb-06.html

December 2009: This storm was a much bigger deal in the Mid Atlantic but still ended up being nice for the City (and a big storm on LI). I'll always remember the cutoff in this storm: 20+ inches in Philly and 4 in Allentown. I still have painful memories of watching the heavy snow bands erode as they moved north of the PA turnpike. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2010/19-Dec-09.html

February 2010 ("Snowicane"): Another storm where neither NYC or Allentown were near the jackpot zone (Upstate NY) but where NYC did far better, with over 20 inches (which is more than I thought). I ended up with 8 or so as the coastal low developed a little too late. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2010/25-Feb-10.html

Boxing Day: This one was truly painful. Allentown was under a WSW for 12-16" after a late jump west on the models. The western cutoff was always going to be sharp but it looked like far eastern PA was going to be on the right side of it. Then the low bombed out more than expected which tightened the precip shield, and everyone west of NENJ got shafted. I ended up with 2" of pixie dust. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/26-Dec-10.html

42 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

Reading these posts reminds me of how many of the big NYC snowstorms of the past 20 years were non-events or underwhelming in Allentown where I grew up. 

December 2003: I remember watching the weather channel nonstop leading up to this storm, which ended up busting somewhat for NYC but which only dropped 6" in Allentown. We even changed over to sleet for a while, which wasn't forecasted. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03.html

February 2006: For whatever reason I have zero memory of this storm. I had never heard of it prior to joining this board. The snowmaps for this storm are inconsistent but it appears that Allentown was just north of the best banding and ended up with 8-10". http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2006/12-Feb-06.html

December 2009: This storm was a much bigger deal in the Mid Atlantic but still ended up being nice for the City (and a big storm on LI). I'll always remember the cutoff in this storm: 20+ inches in Philly and 4 in Allentown. I still have painful memories of watching the heavy snow bands erode as they moved north of the PA turnpike. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2010/19-Dec-09.html

February 2010 ("Snowicane"): Another storm where neither NYC or Allentown were near the jackpot zone (Upstate NY) but where NYC did far better, with over 20 inches (which is more than I thought). I ended up with 8 or so as the coastal low developed a little too late. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2010/25-Feb-10.html

Boxing Day: This one was truly painful. Allentown was under a WSW for 12-16" after a late jump west on the models. The western cutoff was always going to be sharp but it looked like far eastern PA was going to be on the right side of it. Then the low bombed out more than expected which tightened the precip shield, and everyone west of NENJ got shafted. I ended up with 2" of pixie dust. http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/26-Dec-10.html

Snowicane was really interesting

I got 4 inches in the morning then turned to rain in the afternoon then turned to heavy thundersnow at night and received 14 inches. 

Boston was raining because of the track.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathermedic said:

Feb 78 still gets my vote. I was a kid but remember it well. The huge drifts that were everywhere was amazing. One side of the street had asphalt showing while the other was buried under drifts. Dec 2010 came close with the drifting.

The one in Jan was no slouch either.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Torch said:

Great storm that snuck up on us.

February 1978 was one of relatively few forecasting successes on big northeast snowstorms prior to 1980.  I was in HS and remember being wound up about that storm by the prior Friday.  I had an indoor track meet in the Nassau Coliseum all day on Saturday 2/4 and brought a portable radio so I could keep track of what was going on.  There are old case studies you can find about the successes in modeling that storm well in advance.  I think the model was called LFM or something like that.  It might even be a pre-historic ancestor of the GFS.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Torch said:

I worked at the CBS studios and spent time hanging out in the weather center. Leaving work on Friday, the latest maps at 6pm had the storm forming a little too far off the coast. Kasper was excited for Boston, not so much for NYC.

By Sunday, midday Nooa radio (btw Joe Cioffi) had a major storm predicted, along with all the other local Mets.

so yes, there was a 24-36 hour heads up....

Alan Kasper is an idol to a lot of us older folks...I learned  a lot growing up listening  to him.

• Like 2

the night of the January 19th 1978 storm Kasper was hedging towards a bigger storm saying the rain snow line has moved south...He said NYC could get 8"...I rember Alan Kasper making appearance's on the Uncle Floyd show in the late 70's...They called him Alan Kaster oil...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the night of the January 19th 1978 storm Kasper was hedging towards a bigger storm saying the rain snow line has moved south...He said NYC could get 8"...I rember Alan Kasper making appearance's on the Uncle Floyd show in the late 70's...They called him Alan Kaster oil...

Alan is a very good man. I interned with him years ago. Learned a lot about life from him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, Snow88 said:

I don't really remember that  winter since I was only 5

I'm 31

I got 11 inches from Jan 2015. Upton's  discussion was very eery for NYC.  They had these words : Dangerous  Crippling Blizzard on the way for the area.

Euro and Nam had the huge totals while the GFS had only a foot and was right. 

Feb 2006 was also great. I got 19 inches in Brooklyn  while  Central Park got 26 inches.

I was under a great snowband which produced 3-5 inches an hour rates.

only 13 inches here in Feb 2006

On 12/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, coastalplainsnowman said:

93-94 was awesome for many reasons.  First, the cold and the snowpack.  Snowcover seemed to last forever that year.   As you said, there was a winter event or two every week.  One week in February we were in the middle of an 8 inch storm on a Tuesday while the radio was talking about another one coming that Friday.  Fresh snowpack on top of frozen old snowpack.  Cold as far as the eye could see on the long range forecasts on TV.  Colleges on LI that hadn't cancelled a day in 18 years cancelling school.  And this wasn't in the middle of a run of snowy winters.  The big storm of any consequence was 11 years prior (Blizzard of 93 was a changeover event for most of us on LI), and during a time where I believe only one or two 10" storms had occurred in the previous decade.  To me not 95/96 with its crazy snow totals on LI and snowfalls into April, nor any of the winters with seemingly annual record breaking blizzards top 93/94, which felt arctic for months on end.

being a snowfall purist I preferred 95-96 to 93-94.... sleet and freezing rain annoys me (unless it's an all ice storm, which looks pretty on the trees.)