Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

27 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Too much positivity yesterday...bound to have some cliff jumpers today.

We're right in the twiddle our thumbs range because the frontal wave is close enough to want to pay close attention to but still far enough away that ops don't have a lot of skill. Over the weekend many questions should be answered if I had to guess. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're right in the twiddle our thumbs range because the frontal wave is close enough to want to pay close attention to but still far enough away that ops don't have a lot of skill. Over the weekend many questions should be answered if I had to guess. 

Totally...these are hard to nail down at this range.  But the thread will be dominated by the usual mood swings depending on what the snowmaps look like.  At least its something to track is my opinion.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Totally...these are hard to nail down at this range.  But the thread will be dominated by the usual mood swings depending on what the snowmaps look like.  At least its something to track is my opinion.

Yea, I'm not going to pick apart op runs 4-5 days out. You end up forgetting what you just talked about 6 hours ago and have brand new stuff to talk about that will be irrelevant in 6 more hours. lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

How anyone can use the word trend with any model run is beyond me.....but what do I know.

I'm tellin ya....what a tough year....and tough crowd to boot.

Hoping once the PV gets closer, finer details (and more favorable ones) start to emerge.

15 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Boy if the pattern gets good I'm sure glad we know where everyone stood the last few days...gonna be fun to go back and read the nervous nellies or the panicky p's and the whiney wusses and those that held steady...you all know who you are

I doubt it stays crap all the way.  But we are already well into what was supposed to be the good pattern and it’s cutter after cutter after cutter and now the good pattern might be delayed until after Feb 10??? Maybe.   I’m lamenting that things got pushed back again and again more than predicting it won’t ever get good. 

Also have my doubts I can get to climo if we don’t get right until the second week of Feb.  You have a much better chance.  I have a LONG way to go to just hit climo. I think this year might be my least snow ever at this date since I moved up here in 2006.  

because of the last storm, i'm giving this winter a C grade.  even if it doesn't snow the rest of the way, i'd probably leave it there, but yea...minus that storm, this winter has indeed been a letdown so far given the expectations/forecasts.  there's no other way to rationalize it.  hopefully, we can get another warning level event before the winter is out.  it'll be interesting to see where we stand 2-3 weeks from now.  on the bright side, since we don't average a ton of snow, it really only takes one big event to make up for it.

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I doubt it stays crap all the way.  But we are already well into what was supposed to be the good pattern and it’s cutter after cutter after cutter and now the good pattern might be delayed until after Feb 10??? Maybe.   I’m lamenting that things got pushed back again and again more than predicting it won’t ever get good. 

Also have my doubts I can get to climo if we don’t get right until the second week of Feb.  You have a much better chance.  I have a LONG way to go to just hit climo. I think this year might be my least snow ever at this date since I moved up here in 2006.  

I don't know why but my brain didn't get set on the Jan 20th to Feb 1st period as being stellar....could be that I am dense or it could also be that I don't really pay attention to Ji. In the end I'm on the when the pattern changes it changes and if it snows then I'm happy. I'm not a big game hunter or even a climo wanter. I just wish it snows 

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I don't why but my brain didn't get set on the Jan 20th to Feb 1st period as being stellar....could be that I am dense or it could also be that I don't really pay attention to Ji. In the end I'm on the when the pattern changes it changes and if it snows then I'm happy. I'm not a big game hunter or even a climo wanter. I just wish it snows 

That’s healthier. I can tell you my mood turned last week.  I was ok with missing out on the snowstorm 2 weeks ago when we had a good pattern in front of us. Then I watched as that pattern degraded quickly from really good to really bad. And when I started seeing some “uh oh” red flags others kind of were in “that’s not too bad we can work with that” mode. But I just knew what I saw and it was a cutter pattern. Seen it way too many times. It looks close enough if you just look at the blues near us on an ensemble mean but it has fatal flaws. I probably should have just shut up and let people believe what they wanted to believe. But the combo of this year having been a complete dumpster fire here (literally my worst year so far at this point) and the pattern evaporating last week soured me fast. But I can understand why my mood isnt shared. If I had 10” last week from that storm I probably would be totally fine right now and patient to let it play out and see if we get a good period in Feb.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

the crazy part is if that low moved slower (it kinda zoomed almost due north up the coast), it may have been one of the greatest snowstorms of all time.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=60&interval=60&year=2000&month=1&day=24&hour=0&minute=0

We've lost the good solid middle ground posters in this forum. It's either those who are outstanding or those you are horrible and the horrible ones are increasing in size rapidly. 

I'd like to know how some of these people have spent hours on a daily basis over the course of years on this board and not learn a damn thing considering they have some great weather minds at their service. Unbelievable. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

We've lost the good solid middle ground posters in this forum. It's either those who are outstanding or those you are horrible and the horrible ones are increasing in size rapidly. 

I'd like to know how some of these people have spent hours on a daily basis over the course of years on this board and not learn a damn thing considering they have some great weather minds at their service. Unbelievable. 

It’s all that guys leesburg04’s fault...he made cookies, burned them, and everything has gone to hell since.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Grothar of Herndon said:

Those from outside our region are welcome in our threads, but how about keeping your thoughts private. How many times do we need to hear how bad it is for Richmond and places above the Mason Dixon line? We are not complaining about Leesburgh 04's burnt cookies in their threads...

Yea, i don't mind tourism at all. Especially when the tourists post value and add to the discussion. This year has been a little weird. Not much value adding and a whole lot of banter in non banter threads. We REALLY don't need any more than what the locals already provide. And I could care less about snow outside of our sub. Just being honest. Regional subs were created for a reason.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic