Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

15 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And when you've suggested I just take a trip to see snow...that has been my thinking exactly! It ain't the same! I don't know...something about the prospect of visited snow just doesn't quite hit the spot (although I've never tried--but I can't imagine it's the same, lol)

When I’ve done pure snow chases it’s hekped more. I was on a ski trip with my 4 year old son and not everything revolved around the snow.  I missed most of it overnight and had to drive in it and it just wasn’t the same. I had a great time but it wasn’t really about the snow. It was family time with my son. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, I'm a lifetime fisherman. I'll always enjoy "the hunt" and be reasonable that sometimes it doesn't work out. Once I get to late Feb thoughts of getting outside and going fishing flood my brain and I completely stop caring about winter. Chasing snow in the winter is more of an exercise in passing time than getting stressed over something I can't control. Snow has only gotten to me twice. Boxing day and March 13 were the only 2 times where it legitimately affected my mood/emotions. If you're not used to getting screwed with the snowfall living here then you either 1) take it too seriously or 2) haven't lived here that long

I love fishing with my son but have no idea what I’m doing. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

The only problem with having a winter storm thread when there is no threat is i keep clicking on it excited to see new posts thinking there is a new threat....

My thoughts exactly. It duplicates the med/long range thread until there is something to track of course. But then, a separate thread will be created if there is a storm. Then people will be posting in three threads. ^_^

There's a good discussion going in the storm tracker thread that I don't want to disrupt, but I haven't given up on Sunday night/early Monday. Definitely low percentage, but if we get one of those northern stream shortwaves pinwheeling around the trough timed correctly, I think that the gulf low can come climb the coast. Like I said, odds are low, but they are almost always low for snow around here.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This winter has been so horrendous I’m actually considering going out to MN to experience that. I mean it’s not as much bang for your buck as tropical and blizzards which bring plenty of action, but truly big cold is nothing to scoff at. 

That is...if that cold actually gets close to verifying. In an ideal world, this would trend east and I can see big cold in upstate NY. 

I got to -1.6 here earlier this week with a -30 WC and that was awesome.

:weenie: 

You KNOW you want to.

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

When I’ve done pure snow chases it’s hekped more. I was on a ski trip with my 4 year old son and not everything revolved around the snow.  I missed most of it overnight and had to drive in it and it just wasn’t the same. I had a great time but it wasn’t really about the snow. It was family time with my son. 

I love fishing with my son but have no idea what I’m doing. 

Just my own personal story.  My nature is an intensely emotional one.  I feel highs and lows very strongly.  I love cold and I HATE winter warmth.  Although I love snow, growing up int he NC coastal plain snow was too rare to really base my emotions on.

When I say I obsess over the weather, I am being literal; I am have battled with OCD almost all of my life, and when the pattern sucks, it genuinely fills my thoughts and gets me very down.  Genuine winter torches leave me morose and irritable (on the flip side, when we were in epic deep freeze last January my wife noted that I was in a really good mood).

I absolutely, positively, really really really do not want to start an AGW debate here, but for the purpose of this post just know that I personally believe it to be scientific fact.  Given this imagine the mental distress I feel as year after year I believe that I feel the very existence of a meaningful winter slowly dying bit by bit.  And it's not just winter IMBY that weighs on me.  I love the idea of cold and ice/snow wherever it is.  I spend hours reading about and just thinking about the beautiful sound of the cold wind blowing across the desolate tundra or antarctic plateau.  The thought of those places slowly thawing feels me with real pain.

I know this may sound melodramatic and ridiculous, but you can't really help what you love.  In any event I come to this board to share my feelings with those who at least have some idea what I am talking about.  No one else in my life really understands: not my parents or my brother or wife etc.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Just my own personal story.  My nature is an intensely emotional one.  I feel highs and lows very strongly.  I love cold and I HATE winter warmth.  Although I love snow, growing up int he NC coastal plain snow was too rare to really base my emotions on.

When I say I obsess over the weather, I am being literal; I am have battled with OCD almost all of my life, and when the pattern sucks, it genuinely fills my thoughts and gets me very down.  Genuine winter torches leave me morose and irritable (on the flip side, when we were in epic deep freeze last January my wife noted that I was in a really good mood).

I absolutely, positively, really really really do not want to start an AGW debate here, but for the purpose of this post just know that I personally believe it to be scientific fact.  Given this imagine the mental distress I feel as year after year I believe that I feel the very existence of a meaningful winter slowly dying bit by bit.  And it's not just winter IMBY that weighs on me.  I love the idea of cold and ice/snow wherever it is.  I spend hours reading about and just thinking about the beautiful sound of the cold wind blowing across the desolate tundra or antarctic plateau.  The thought of those places slowly thawing feels me with real pain.

I know this may sound melodramatic and ridiculous, but you can't really help what you love.  In any event I come to this board to share my feelings with those who at least have some idea what I am talking about.  No one else in my life really understands: not my parents or my brother or wife etc.   

Are you in a place in your life to move? I'd suggest CO or WY or MT if you really love and are moved that much by the cold. I am lucky in that my son moved to Summit county CO, beautiful and cold and white there A LOT! I go every chance I get now, was there 5 times last year.

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Are you in a place in your life to move? I'd suggest CO or WY or MT if you really love and are moved that much by the cold. I am lucky in that my son moved to Summit county CO, beautiful and cold and white there A LOT! I go every chance I get now, was there 5 times last year.

Not really.  As much as I love cold, I also love my home state very much.  All my family is here and that is also very important to me.  My wife dislikes serious cold as well.  I definitely plan to take some cold weather vacations when the kids are older.  Not sure how I will convince the wife though:stun:.

14 hours ago, nj2va said:

I threw some gasoline in here oops.  

I might have to post some pics of the first daffodil shoots and forsythia buds of the year. And as the sun reaches higher and higher into the sky for longer and longer each day, those buds will be joined by many of their close friends...

1 hour ago, Jandurin said:

@psuhoffman what's the difference between monetary and fiscal policy

asking for a friend

Monetary policy is how the fed manipulates the money supply indirectly through the availability of credit and directly through open market operations

Fiscal policy is how congress and the president royally F*#% up the country with taxes and expenditures!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic