Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

15 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Pretty much kept my mouth shut the last few days in the long range because we have been burned several times already this year. Glad I did. :) Of course nothing is set in stone at this point so we could see the models bounce back. And there are some decent looks that are popping up here and there in the extended so I wouldn't dismiss anything.

Its pretty clear the PAC is going to have warts. No reason to think that will change going forward considering we don't have a defined Nino and literally no Nino like response from the atmosphere to this point. Doesn't mean it will be constantly hostile either. The fabled NA block sure would help our cause though.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its pretty clear the PAC is going to have warts. No reason to think that will change going forward considering we don't have a defined Nino and literally no Nino like response from the atmosphere to this point. Doesn't mean it will be constantly hostile either. The fabled NA block sure would help our cause though.

At this point I don't think we are ever going to get the PAC right. At least as a somewhat stable feature. As far as the NAO? As I mentioned before I have noticed a tendency over the years of tracking that when WAR sets up early in the year and gets established it is very hard to dislodge. Can't even count the times I watched the models try to shift WAR up into the NAO domain in the extended only shift that back into WAR in the medium and short ranged. What will probably happen, as we have seen several times in the last few years, is that the when the wavelengths change moving into spring is when we finally see the WAR morph into a -NAO. So if I were a betting man I would say we do finally see it towards the end of Feb or into March but at that point we are on borrowed time. Could be another cold and wet Spring incoming if this is the case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

At this point I don't think we are ever going to get the PAC right. At least as a somewhat stable feature. As far as the NAO? As I mentioned before I have noticed a tendency over the years of tracking that when WAR sets up early in the year and gets established it is very hard to dislodge. Can't even count the times I watched the models try to shift WAR up into the NAO domain in the extended only shift that back into WAR in the medium and short ranged. What will probably happen, as we have seen several times in the last few years, is that the when the wavelengths change moving into spring is when we finally see the WAR morph into a -NAO. So if I were a betting man I would say we do finally see it towards the end of Feb or into March but at that point we are on borrowed time. Could be another cold and wet Spring incoming if this is the case.

How awesome would that be lol. Last ENSO update I looked at a couple weeks ago still had an El Nino watch in effect, with a 65% chance it develops in Spring. Woop!

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Sure. But that isn't the main focus in general. Well unless you are talking about Ji with op runs.

I will say this though...in a winter like this where the head fakes have been constant with the models. I think there is a fine tooth comb going over each run after positive changes happen to find the error or negative change back. It has been a rough winter no doubt for models in the LR...I still enjoy the day to day and the expertise though. Somehow we snow even though the models say no mostly. I guess we hold on tight now until Sprung

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

I will say this though...in a winter like this where the head fakes have been constant with the models. I think there is a fine tooth comb going over each run after positive changes happen to find the error or negative change back. It has been a rough winter no doubt for models in the LR...I still enjoy the day to day and the expertise though. Somehow we snow even though the models say no mostly. I guess we hold on tight now until Sprung

Been a really rough winter for me. Always try to stay positive despite what the models may show but this year has been extremely taxing. Can't recall how often we had good to very good looks in the extended to only have the rug pulled out as it neared in time. Can't recall ever having a winter where the models teased us so much. I will keep tracking till the bitter end hoping for a miracle but I admit I am now turning my attention to camping season hoping we get an early and dry Spring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

What happens when people rip and read each op run and take them to heart, in the extended no less. Cough... Cough.... Ji. Cough... Cough....

as soon as you said "not much to like about the overnight runs" I felt a tear well up...although still far off I feel like the end of tracking season is edging ever closer..50s/60s next week wont make it feel any better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

What happens when people rip and read each op run and take them to heart, in the extended no less. Cough... Cough.... Ji. Cough... Cough....

Most just want it to snow....some want to know why it will snow...i'm not sure what Ji wants

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Been a really rough winter for me. Always try to stay positive despite what the models may show but this year has been extremely taxing. Can't recall how often we had good to very good looks in the extended to only have the rug pulled out as it neared in time. Can't recall ever having a winter where the models teased us so much. I will keep tracking till the bitter end hoping for a miracle but I admit I am now turning my attention to camping season hoping we get an early and dry Spring. 

I try to just go with it. I can say I have enjoyed this winter less than any in recent memory(so far) outside of the total ratter several years ago where the airports recorded less than 2" I believe. The general pattern isn't awful, that's the thing. And the one feature that could get us over the top is also the one that models seem to like to advertise in the LR and it rarely ever comes to fruition. It really is uncanny. My rationale for taking the -NAO seriously this winter was the correlation to a C/E based Nino in late winter. Now that is pretty much out the window.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

as soon as you said "not much to like about the overnight runs" I felt a tear well up...although still far off I feel like the end of tracking season is edging ever closer..50s/60s next week wont make it feel any better.

Keep kicking the can down the road and eventually the road ends. Pretty soon April will be in range lol.

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Exactly right and why it's hard to go against decadal features and tendencies until there is actual evidence of a change. 

• Like 1

I kinda ended up in a sucker zone...too north and too south by less than 5 miles, but for deep winter appeal and good snow, my goodness. 
I gotta chase LES more. New England is a dumpster fire for snow this year. 
O45LHAb.jpg&key=17c6a72efb3ab85699321e53a0aa1e7af8f6f5c66a46a679efbc2feee0585f47

It’s a marvel up there. Truly amazing how much snow they get and how well they deal with it. 2’ off east end of Ontario is a walk in the park. Cleared in 12-24 hrs. Back to normal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Keep kicking the can down the road and eventually the road ends. Pretty soon April will be in range lol.

Guidance, both the CFS and Euro weeklies are starting to see the true end around the second week of March and roll the whole pattern over into a spring look.  I actually buy that, so there is only so much more can kicking that can go...were down to a 2-3 week window as it is...if the NAO isn't real we likely only have one or two more "tease" runs left before they sniff that out and then its just gone and we go right into spring.  Not saying that is how it will go...but either way the teasing will end soon one way or another.  

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

I didn’t pay as much attention last winter because of family issues, but I feel like we were teased with a lot of fantasy storms also. 

1 hour ago, snowmagnet said:

I didn’t pay as much attention last winter because of family issues, but I feel like we were teased with a lot of fantasy storms also. 

If you love modeled Fantasy storms you would have absolutely loved the GFS just a few years back. You would sneeze and it would throw up a HEC. The storms were a dime a dozen. Fun to look at but nothing to bank on. Think the old GFS is the reason Ji is the way he is to this day.

• Haha 2

Its interesting to me that the areas that have not necessarily scored well this year tend to have the most disgruntled posters who are generally looking for the end of this winter or are quicker to point out the negatives. It's funny how that works 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic