SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

8 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I cared.... just a little. ;)

bro hug

Given how this winter looks to be going the constant same posts is getting tedious every model run.  It may snow at times in Feb/Mar.  It may not.  I don't think there will be any extended periods of good or bad.  This winter looks transient in nature as the PAC won't stabilize to a good pattern and the ATL can't as well.  PAC firehose into split flow mucks it up and nothing in the atlantic will slow something up enough to let it bomb.  So its all timing and that will be something that will cause a ton of misery for those who love misery.  Can't see the point to read the same stuff every day.  The break was good.  Info can be found elsewhere and its nice to change things up.  Good luck with the coming snow.

• Like 2

Agreed. It really is the same stuff everyday with respect to the long range. I'm not aware of any model verifying in the long range or at least the interpretations of the models verifying. Not anyone's fault, just the current state of weather forecasting. Just have to learn not to get sucked in and take everything with a few grains of salt.

@nw baltimore wx

@mattie g

Since you guys are the beer brewing experts here (and anyone else who wants to chime in feel free):

I have a friend who is studying Nutritional Science, and has chosen (of all things), beer sensory analysis for his dissertation. He has to brew the beer(all equipment provided) then train a panel and conduct controlled sensory analysis of the beer. He has chosen IPA as the beer style. He needs to buy all ingredients, probably in the form of a kit. The important part is he has to make 6 batches, each using a different yeast strain, with everything else remaining the same. So the challenging part is choosing 6 different yeasts that will impart noticeably different characteristics, but still produce a drinkable IPA. Any suggestion on an IPA kit(nice drinkable fruity/hoppy one for novice beer drinkers), and then of course 6 different yeast varieties that will "work" well with that particular beer kit?

Or you guys can just pass along some of your secret recipes lol.

Thanks!

PSU's snowfall posts above got me thinking to compare his averages with Boston (Logan Airport) -- their average is about 44 inches a year -- pretty close to what PSU gets.  Wow what a micro climate!  How about summer -- do you rarely hit 90?

BTW Boston -- so far this winter they have only received 1.8 inches!  That has to some kind of record?  And they're not getting much tomorrow night (maybe an inch), then deep cold for a few days before the warm-up.  I can't believe it's almost February and I have 16.8 to Boston's 1.8.

4 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

PSU's snowfall posts above got me thinking to compare his averages with Boston (Logan Airport) -- their average is about 44 inches a year -- pretty close to what PSU gets.  Wow what a micro climate!  How about summer -- do you rarely hit 90?

BTW Boston -- so far this winter they have only received 1.8 inches!  That has to some kind of record?  And they're not getting much tomorrow night (maybe an inch), then deep cold for a few days before the warm-up.  I can't believe it's almost February and I have 16.8 to Boston's 1.8.

Logan is the new DCA of measurement..they must be measuring right on the tarmac behind a Boeing 777 as it takes off.  Boston is having a pretty rough winter in terms of snowfall but the 1.8" is a little misleading...they're closer to 6-8"...and 10"+ just outside Boston to the W and N.  Still pretty low considering their annual snowfall and their recent winters.  

I had a great time visiting family and friends over the last 8 days. Got back into Midland last night and crashed with my wife once we got to the apartment. Wanted to see some people from the forum, but driving 1374 miles in 8 days and seeing people, my schedule was extremely booked. I’m def making time next time I’m in town. I haven’t paid any attention to weather in a several days. Mind a break. I saw nothing my whole trip except stupid cold last Monday. We’ll be shoveling feet of wind in Midland today. Texas way of welcoming me back lol. Will be in the 70’s with sun this coming weekend. What a stark change to back home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@nw baltimore wx

@mattie g

Since you guys are the beer brewing experts here (and anyone else who wants to chime in feel free):

I have a friend who is studying Nutritional Science, and has chosen (of all things), beer sensory analysis for his dissertation. He has to brew the beer(all equipment provided) then train a panel and conduct controlled sensory analysis of the beer. He has chosen IPA as the beer style. He needs to buy all ingredients, probably in the form of a kit. The important part is he has to make 6 batches, each using a different yeast strain, with everything else remaining the same. So the challenging part is choosing 6 different yeasts that will impart noticeably different characteristics, but still produce a drinkable IPA. Any suggestion on an IPA kit(nice drinkable fruity/hoppy one for novice beer drinkers), and then of course 6 different yeast varieties that will "work" well with that particular beer kit?

Thanks!

This is awesome!  Hopefully Jonjon sees it and can give some professional advice.  Unfortunately I can't go to brewing websites from work, so I'll get back to you later today.

• Like 1

@nw baltimore wx

@mattie g

Thanks!

@Scraff and @nj2va might know something as well

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs went wagons west. Lol. Good times. 

UNCLE... I surrender.  Seriously!  This winter is beating me into submission.  Not just because the results have been god awful up here (they have) but I survived other pretty bad dumpster fire winters with my "weather weenie" sanity more intact.  2012 was equally awful if you take away the 8" I got in October.  2009 wasn't much ahead of this years pace right now.  But I had a much better idea how things were going those years and things weren't constantly so out of line with expectations, both long and short term.  This year both sucks AND has had me as out of touch with weather reality as I have ever been.  I am not saying I don't bust, i do all the darn time but not nearly as frequently or bigly as this year.  This year from both a pattern and synoptic event POV just has me grasping at straws.. when I think it will zig it zags...and I am not saying this is impacting me in real life but as far as weather goes I am raising my hands and saying I have no freaking idea what is going on anymore.  I am defeated.  Mother nature wins this round.  

26 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Serious question... Do the nams ever add value before precip is on the doorstep? I've grown to hate 24-48 hour nam runs. 

Not in the way that people on here typically use them.  If you are looking for things like storm track and placement of features they suck monkey nuts.  They have severe stability issues and jump things around run to run and increase noise and confusion.  BUT...they are very useful for seeing meso scale features within an event that can help you determine what the dynamics and small scale features are likely to look like.  Things like the thermal profile, banding, deform, dry slot, convection.  BUT...you have to adjust the location of those things based on the globals and more stable modeling.  So I do think the NAM's are useful, at least the 3k, but only if used properly and most just rip and read and in that case they do more harm than good.  

36 minutes ago, yoda said:

@Scraff and @nj2va might know something as well

I have only homebrewed a few times, but it was on someone else’s  equipment. That said, I know the other guys here brew regularly. Probably better for them to chime in. Could always just call the local home brew store and have them help as well. The one in Columbia, MD is awesome if you need one. Sorry I can’t be much more help on this aspect of the beer process. I know how to sell it, drink it and review it though!  Lol. 

• Like 1

@nw baltimore wx

@mattie g

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Oh damn I didn't even think of the one pro we have on this forum lol.

@jonjon

9 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I have only homebrewed a few times, but it was on someone else’s  equipment. That said, I know the other guys here brew regularly. Probably better for them to chime in. Could always just call the local home brew store and have them help as well. The one in Columbia, MD is awesome if you need one. Sorry I can’t be much more help on this aspect of the beer process. I know how to sell it, drink it and review it though!  Lol. 

A bit more info. He is attending MMU in Manchester UK. He has gotten bogged down with the academic stuff, and his teacher told him he needs to have the supply list to him by tomorrow for the brewing lol. Need to find the kit etc on a UK site.

Just as an example, I was looking at this one-

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/brooklyn-brew-shop-everyday-ipa-beer-making-refill

If he went with that, he would need to select an additional 5 yeast strains that would work with that ale, but impart some slightly different sensory characteristics.

42 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

This is awesome!  Hopefully Jonjon sees it and can give some professional advice.  Unfortunately I can't go to brewing websites from work, so I'll get back to you later today.

@C.A.P.E.

I assume the goal is to see what effects the different yeasts have on the final product. Homebrew shops would probably be more than happy to help out, but if I were to just throw out some ideas for something with obvious fruity characteristics and also some bitterness, here's what I'd say:

Malt: 90% American 2-Row, 10% Wheat Malt

Bittering Hops: Magnum (40 IBUs)

Flavor/Aroma Hops: Citra and Galaxy (add with 10 minutes remaining for 30 IBUs) and flameout

Dry Hops: Citra and Galaxy (as fermentation ends - about day 4 or 5)

Yeasts: Safale US 05, Safale US 04, Wyeast 1318 (currently my "house yeast"), Wyeast 1272, Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, Omega Yeast Tropical IPA

Exact amounts of these will vary depending on the batch size, but I think this is a decent list. Of course, my preferences are pretty obvious here and a couple of those yeasts may end up turning out somewhat similar beers.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Oh good. You can help with the process of training a panel to do sensory analysis. ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

A bit more info. He is attending MMU in Manchester UK. He has gotten bogged down with the academic stuff, and his teacher told him he needs to have the supply list to him by tomorrow for the brewing lol. Need to find the kit etc on a UK site.

If he went with that, he would need to select an additional 5 yeast strains that would work with that ale, but impart some slightly different sensory characteristics.

OK...in that case, maybe have a look at the yeasts I mentioned and forget the rest. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, mattie g said:

@C.A.P.E.

I assume the goal is to see what effects the different yeasts have on the final product. Homebrew shops would probably be more than happy to help out, but if I were to just throw out some ideas for something with obvious fruity characteristics and also some bitterness, here's what I'd say:

Malt: 90% American 2-Row, 10% Wheat Malt

Bittering Hops: Magnum (40 IBUs)

Flavor/Aroma Hops: Citra and Galaxy (add with 10 minutes remaining for 30 IBUs) and flameout

Dry Hops: Citra and Galaxy (as fermentation ends - about day 4 or 5)

Yeasts: Safale US 05, Safale US 04, Wyeast 1318 (currently my "house yeast"), Wyeast 1272, Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, Omega Yeast Tropical IPA

Exact amounts of these will vary depending on the batch size, but I think this is a decent list. Of course, my preferences are pretty obvious here and a couple of those yeasts may end up turning out somewhat similar beers.

Yes that is the essence of it as I understand it. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Some of favorite yeasts for IPAs are:

London Ale III 

RVA Manchester

Kveik 

California Ale

French Saison

San Diego Super Ale

• Thanks 1

Just now, mattie g said:

OK...in that case, maybe have a look at the yeasts I mentioned and forget the rest. :lol:

I did some research and several of those yeasts came up. I mean, on the surface it would seem one could pick any ale yeast and brew the damn beer using that kit, but obviously there is a lot of nuance in this process.

24 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I agree with Mattie's yeast list (and recipe, though I like some oats in there too) and I also use the Wyeast 1318 regularly.  I've also used the San Diego Super yeast that Scraff mentioned and holy $&*#, it's called super for a reason.  Does he need to get a list of equipment to the professor tomorrow too?  I don't know if you mentioned it, but is planning on doing one 5 gallon batch and separating it into 6 fermenting vessels? 

I'm not sure that it's helpful, but White Labs in Asheville, NC, does this exact experiment.  They have several of the same beers in their tap room that all came from the same batch but fermented with different yeasts.  Super cool to be able to sample the differences.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic