Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I know this is a bias question, but lots of people post twitter or links to forecasts or discussion from local media/tv Mets...  sometimes I can’t tell if they’re added value or if posters are just mocking the Mets.

with that said, which Baltimore/Washington tv/social media mets seem to have most credibility here, and which ones have the tendency to be the butt of a joke?

Justin Berk is as reliable as a Timex and as trustworthy as George Washington.

To all the Mods who work so hard to keep things on track here....

No doubt there's been a lot of comments in the LR lately that detracted from the value of it and significantly so.  At times the noise nearly drowned out the salient posts worth reading.  Know you all have enough to do without moderating every little thing here.  And thank you sincerely for what you do that most of us never see.  

The above said, there seems to be quite a few newbies onboard who could perhaps use a reminder of the protocol and standards that should be applied to self moderation.  Would it be an option to post a "Top 10 do's and don'ts" here to help guide everyone in the expectations for posting what and where?  Suspect some of the newbies may not know, and the only way they typically learn is by a beat down that could otherwise be avoided.  Likewise, some of the more "experienced" posters seem to equate the number of posts on their avatar to some sort of special pass to violate said protocol at a whim.  Not pointing fingers here, been enough of that already and I too am less than perfect and sometimes fail to exercise restraint.  

Been a subscriber here since the beginning and on Eastern before that.  I try to read more, learn more, type less and give deference to those far more astute on the science than I'll ever be.  I long for the days of Eastern and here on AWX when the dialog was more respectable, even when opinions differed.  The recent tendencies to snipe at one another is draining.  It's no wonder several of the former main contributors have taken an absence.  Can't blame them and miss what they used to bring here.  To those mainstay contributors of the forum who remain, we should be eternally grateful for what they bring to the table, day after day.  For that ongoing education they provide, a sincere thank you.

• Like 2

honestly, not a huge fan of separating the threads.  didn't really seem necessary.  the whole reason we check the long range is to spawn a separate storm thread at some point.  it's not a showstopper to me either way aside from having one more thread, but thought i'd share my opinion on that.

in regards to the bickering...meh, that's every single winter, even since eastern (was more of a lurker there).  i don't think it's any better or worse to be honest.  just like in sports...a win can cure a bad locker room.  we just need a region wide storm.  that's always how it is.

2 hours ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I know this is a bias question, but lots of people post twitter or links to forecasts or discussion from local media/tv Mets...  sometimes I can’t tell if they’re added value or if posters are just mocking the Mets.

with that said, which Baltimore/Washington tv/social media mets seem to have most credibility here, and which ones have the tendency to be the butt of a joke?

Tony Pann and Justin Berk are huge butts. If every major model is against snow but one obscure model is for snow, they will post it like its a legit source. Most of their following is people who just want to hear that it's going to snow and aren't educated in this field enough to know whether it's legit or not. They use terms like #SnowTrain and #FaithInTheFlakes to hype up their followers. 

Someone who I've followed for years for Baltimore is Christopher Bressi. He's not on Twitter but he has a FB group and he tells it like it is. He loves snow but he doesn't let it impact the accuracy of his analysis. 

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

If PMs are not an option, will you be hosting a Q&A session to explain?

of course. id rather it be transparent and on the forum anyways

i just am tired of getting messages. first I was called a bitch, then accused of deleting posts that I didnt, now getting messages in a hostile way asking why i'm deleting more posts... 

its not necessary.

Just now, mappy said:

of course. id rather it be transparent and on the forum anyways

i just am tired of getting messages. first I was called a bitch, then questioned on why posts are deleting, to be told why, then apologized too because their first messages were hostile in nature. 

its not necessary.

Lol. You're dealing w a tough group. Randy def isnt paying you enough.

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

at least you aren't being called a bitch and compared to someone's ex wife

You're a tough gal. These name calling individuals are transparent to all of us. Keep doing your good work. You do not owe anyone an explanation as to why their posts disappear. That should be an indication in itself for them to be a little bit more retrospective. Dont let them drive you away either. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

You're a tough gal. These name calling individuals are transparent to all of us. Keep doing your good work. You do not owe anyone an explanation as to why their posts disappear. That should be an indication in itself for them to be a little bit more retrospective. Dont let them drive you away either. 

thank you! appreciate the kind words. 

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

Tony Pann and Justin Berk are huge butts. If every major model is against snow but one obscure model is for snow, they will post it like its a legit source. Most of their following is people who just want to hear that it's going to snow and aren't educated in this field enough to know whether it's legit or not. They use terms like #SnowTrain and #FaithInTheFlakes to hype up their followers. 

Someone who I've followed for years for Baltimore is Christopher Bressi. He's not on Twitter but he has a FB group and he tells it like it is. He loves snow but he doesn't let it impact the accuracy of his analysis. 

cc: @BaltimoreWxGuy

45 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Well said Stormpc....

Mappy - keep up the great work.  If anyone here thinks they can do better, let them volunteer to be a Mod.  Oh wait, forget that.  The same folks who lack the objectivity to self moderate would run amok as a Mod and further derail things...   Forget the idea.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic