Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

That is a Jebman special.  492dM is brutal.  So cold your nipples fall off and get eaten by a dead squirrel...that’s cold

Hey....  Zugzwang and I are from Ohio - we grew up in the cold of the 60's and 70's and know that feeling.  When the snot hanging from your runny nose freezes instantly on the edge of the balaclava and even the wax in your ears freezes up despite being wrapped in the balaclava.  You don't dare take off your mittens to wipe your nose cause your fingers will instantly freeze up.  And the heck with gloves, they are useless.  Besides, every other kid has a frozen snot hole too so you don't feel so bad.  When your eyelashes are nothing more than the foundation for growing frost and your eyes dry out so much you feel like the inside of your eyelids are lined with sandpaper.  And the squirrel was not dead, he was just tired from his Jebwalk... And yes, that was what it was like delivering the sunday morning paper with a sled when it was -30F and nice breeze blowing.  I was a bean pole then and have a lot more insulation now.  So bring it on...  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RDM said:

Hey....  Zugzwang and I are from Ohio - we grew up in the cold of the 60's and 70's and know that feeling.  When the snot hanging from your runny nose freezes instantly on the edge of the balaclava and even the wax in your ears freezes up despite being wrapped in the balaclava.  You don't dare take off your mittens to wipe your nose cause your fingers will instantly freeze up.  And the heck with gloves, they are useless.  Besides, every other kid has a frozen snot hole too so you don't feel so bad.  When your eyelashes are nothing more than the foundation for growing frost and your eyes dry out so much you feel like the inside of your eyelids are lined with sandpaper.  And the squirrel was not dead, he was just tired from his Jebwalk... And yes, that was what it was like delivering the sunday morning paper with a sled when it was -30F and nice breeze blowing.  I was a bean pole then and have a lot more insulation now.  So bring it on...  

Also grew up in Ohio - Cincinnati from 1975 - 1982 and central Ohio from 1982 - 1992 and then back to southwest Ohio 1992 - 1996. Experienced the 1978 super bomb in Cincinnati - not as much snow down there but did have the crashing temps , crazy cold and drifts. 

One Christmas Eve when I was in central Ohio in the mid 80s was around -25 for a low...

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Also grew up in Ohio - Cincinnati from 1975 - 1982 and central Ohio from 1982 - 1992 and then back to southwest Ohio 1992 - 1996. Experienced the 1978 super bomb in Cincinnati - not as much snow down there but did have the crashing temps , crazy cold and drifts. 

One Christmas Eve when I was in central Ohio in the mid 80s was around -25 for a low...

Great to hear there's another Buckeye in our midst.  Zugzwang and I were exchanging memories about the great Blizzard of 78 a couple days ago.  That was a memorable event that stands out in the crowd of BECS for sure.  The wind, cold and flash freeze were especially impressive...

Know Cincinnati well.  Ran districts x-country there at Weatherwax Golf Course 2 of my 3 years in HS.  Where did you live in "Central Ohio"?   I'm from New Carlisle - about 11 miles north of Dayton.  Our bank was the first one John Dillinger robbed to start his reign of mayhem. 

O H .....    (a test)   

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I O, of course. I was 7 for the blizzard of ‘78. I enjoyed reading you all on your memories of that insane storm.

east of Columbus for HS years - little town called Etna. 

Later, after college, my oldest was born in Springfield. 

Haha - you got it....  OH-IO    I know where Etna is.  Driven by it countless times going to and from NOVA and Home - 4 times last year alone.  Know Springfield and the hospital in Springfield very well too.  Step mom had quadruple bypass and both hips replaced there, sister-in-law worked there as ER PA and my father just passed away there in Sept (it was his time).  My dad was in the first class of paramedics in the state back in the 70's.  Responded to the tornado that wiped out Xenia in 74 during one of the greatest tornado outbreaks in history.  Interesting to note the Shawnee Indians called the area around Xenia "The Land of the Devil Winds" for its preponderance of tornado activity.  

• Like 2

I have seen heavy rain at 34 degrees do next to nothing to a 4 inch snowpack except soak it.

This, is why it was SO IMPORTANT folks to pile up the snow when it fell days ago.

Always preserve snow! Pile it up on the north side of sunlight blocking objects. And spread it liberally all over your more vulnerable areas where the sun shreds the snowpack. Dig snow and pile it! Shovel snow and spread it! Pack it down good, pile more. Take the snow off the street. Beg the plow operators to plow you in with a 40 foot snow berm. If you have to, bribe em with stout. Then shovel it ALL! Pile it up, pack it down. You have two main enemies in the Mid Atlantic Region. One is that damned sun. The other, is the warmup.

When you get snow, jebwalk in it and DIG IT AND PILE IT UP.

Snow is pure GOLD to a winter enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I have seen heavy rain at 34 degrees do next to nothing to a 4 inch snowpack except soak it.

This, is why it was SO IMPORTANT folks to pile up the snow when it fell days ago.

Always preserve snow! Pile it up on the north side of sunlight blocking objects. And spread it liberally all over your more vulnerable areas where the sun shreds the snowpack. Dig snow and pile it! Shovel snow and spread it! Pack it down good, pile more. Take the snow off the street. Beg the plow operators to plow you in with a 40 foot snow berm. If you have to, bribe em with stout. Then shovel it ALL! Pile it up, pack it down. You have two main enemies in the Mid Atlantic Region. One is that damned sun. The other, is the warmup.

When you get snow, jebwalk in it and DIG IT AND PILE IT UP.

Snow is pure GOLD to a winter enthusiast.

Speaking of piling it up and/or on, whatever happened to Midlothian Snow Maker down in Richmond?  He used to post pics of the snow pile in his back yard he'd make with his home-made snow making setup.  Then see how late into summer it would last.  Think his record was mid July or something like that.  Haven't seen or heard of him for a long time...

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That sucks. Hopefully they can get you out on another flight quickly. 

Booked on another one and are waiting to board in a half hour. Not the direct flight we had but it is only getting in 20 minutes later at bwi. Wife was real pissy about it. Hoping they don't have two seats together because if  I have to sit by her it is going to be a long flight indeed. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

All indications are we should see an extended period of HL blocking through much of Feb. My primary nitpick is the higher heights off the maritimes where we ideally want lower heights. Also I never buy completely what the GFS is selling when it comes to its depiction of a -NAO in the LR. In this case it's more a matter of magnitude, not that it is wrong with the blocky look. We really don't need "historic" or "epic" blocking given the advertised general 500 mb pattern. Now if the Pac unexpectedly goes hostile, a big time, west-based block might be needed in order to mitigate it.

I'm bringing my response over to banter in the hopes that we can get the other thread cleaned up a little, but as much as I want snow, more than anything I want winter to feel like winter. The way this past summer went, and especially the fall, my internal seasonal clock hasn't been right. In general, summer didn't feel like summer, and fall certainly did feel like fall. So if we end up on the dry cold side of the next month, I'm going to at least embrace the cold and get my seasonal clock reset.

I know it's not popular here to like cold without snow, but I always have. So if three or four more snows are on the way, then bring it. And if one of them is a KU, then all the better, but if not, then I'll gladly take a 3 or 4 week window of great cold to get in some winter hikes and pond skating. 

What's going to be funny is when the cold and dry does set up and then all the complaining starts. And everyone will keep complaining right up to when the pattern breaks and we get that late February KU just like '79. This probably won't make sense, but in most cases around here, you've got to go through the crappy stuff to get the good stuff.

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Would you want to post with all the Ji melts and other horribad posting going on?  For some of the old timers, this place is more a wade through the muck to find info and not bother offering commentary cause it gets drowned out

Count your blessings. At least you didn't have to deal with my morning novels for the last 9 days. :)

13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Booked on another one and are waiting to board in a half hour. Not the direct flight we had but it is only getting in 20 minutes later at bwi. Wife was real pissy about it. Hoping they don't have two seats together because if  I have to sit by her it is going to be a long flight indeed. 

8 o'clock isn't too early anywhere for a Bloody Mary, but especially true in Vegas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm bringing my response over to banter in the hopes that we can get the other thread cleaned up a little, but as much as I want snow, more than anything I want winter to feel like winter. The way this past summer went, and especially the fall, my internal seasonal clock hasn't been right. In general, summer didn't feel like summer, and fall certainly did feel like fall. So if we end up on the dry cold side of the next month, I'm going to at least embrace the cold and get my seasonal clock reset.

I know it's not popular here to like cold without snow, but I always have. So if three or four more snows are on the way, then bring it. And if one of them is a KU, then all the better, but if not, then I'll gladly take a 3 or 4 week window of great cold to get in some winter hikes and pond skating. 

What's going to be funny is when the cold and dry does set up and then all the complaining starts. And everyone will keep complaining right up to when the pattern breaks and we get that late February KU just like '79. This probably won't make sense, but in most cases around here, you've got to go through the crappy stuff to get the good stuff.

I am with ya. I like cold. I mean I don't want completely bare ground and brutal cold for a week or more, but if we get a couple minor events with a few inches that hangs around and only goes due to sublimation, I would gladly take it. I prefer an established, persistent cold period and as it relaxes a bit, we get the bigger event. Around here you have to be flexible and take winter- and be happy with it- anyway it comes though. Soon enough we will again be back in our 6 month endless summer of heat and humidity.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic