Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2019

George BM

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Not just the food, the service is usually excellent.  Much different experience than other fast food establishments.  Stores always clean and employees are friendly and competent.

Chick Fil A, WhataBurger down here in Texas, and surprisingly the Popeyes in Midland has amazing food and service. Rosa's Tortilla Factory here is top notch too. Chick Fil A has best overall everything  though. Have never once had a bad experience with Chick Fil A. They are phenomenal with customer service. Wish other places mimicked them. 

• Like 2

Some people talking about the arctic blast in the Medium Range thread. Thought I'd share this nugget with the forum on the largest temp drop in MAF's history. December 16th, 2015. It hit 80F at 3pm, generating an all time record high for the date. Arctic boundary plunged south through the plains and passed through MAF at 3:07pm. By 3:42pm, temp crashed to 37 with 55mph wind gusts. That night, the low tanked to 18F at 1159pm, a full degree off the all time daily record low. Only a few times in the NWS history has a WFO had both a record max and min recorded in a calendar day. One of the most famous was a WFO in Illinois where temperature from an arctic boundary plunged temps over 65F in 12 hrs generating both a record max pre-front, and record min post front. THAT is epic beyond words. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Not just the food, the service is usually excellent.  Much different experience than other fast food establishments.  Stores always clean and employees are friendly and competent.

Totally...they have an excellent product (food, service, experience).  Employees are polite and make you feel like they’re happy to see you there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I made a mention of this in the medium range thread, when the discussion turned to the possibility of a "flash freeze" here on Sunday afternoon.  I also experienced the "White Hurricane" (as we called it in northeast OH...I grew up in the Cleveland area at the time).  That still stands as the fastest and most dramatic temperature drop I've seen, a 30 degree drop in two hours (mid-40s at about 4AM to the teens by 6AM), and it came with a blast on 70+ MPH gusts.  It was a brutal storm, not really so much from the snow (we got 6-12" in NE Ohio, on top of some old snow), but the extreme cold and wind.  I also remember the low pressure associated with that storm, it bottomed out at 28.28" (957 mb) at KCLE, and it set low pressure records across a large area.  It was highly unusual to have a system "bomb out" like that over land, as it moved north out of the Gulf, through Ohio, and finally north of Lake Erie into Canada.

I recall a lot of what you describe, the various stories, etc.  On the 30th anniversary of the storm (2008), I was able to get an electronic copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which had a sort of historical remembrance of it.  Also have a weather almanac by Dick Goddard, who was a local Cleveland meteorologist (he was very good, and very well-liked there)...he covers that storm in there.  Since you're from Ohio, you might want to check out the book "Thunder in the Heartland" (by Thomas W Schmidlin & Jeanne A Schmidlin), they cover a wide range of significant Ohio weather events (not just winter stuff...but they do also have a great discussion of the 1978 blizzard).

Hey Zug,

Thanks for chiming in.  Believe we both commented on 78 a couple of years ago - maybe during the post 2016 banter about great storms and what was the greatest...  

Sounds like our memories are much the same of 78, it was a monster.  I was 16 att, old enough to remember it vividly, but not old enough to understand much about the mechanics.  It was one of several events that fostered my interest in meteorology.  A year or two before I'd built my first weather station from HeathKit.  Remember watching the wind speed indicator on the indoor display going nuts until it gave up.  The anemometer stopped working for a while, but the temperature kept reporting.  We didn't get above freezing again for several weeks after that, which just prolonged the impact. 

Appreciate the info on the books and other data.  Will definitely check it out.  Will be interesting to recollect the details of what 78 was all about.  Cheers.

• Like 2

I have to say, I think some are too dramatic about wasting January sun angle. Not to say it's not a factor, it clearly is, but the sun still has a major impact in January. Just the other day it was 26 degrees, light snow falling with just a bit of sunlight making its way through, and there was melting ice and snow. I understand it gets worse the closer you get to Spring, but it's a factor all winter long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Hey Zug,

Thanks for chiming in.  Believe we both commented on 78 a couple of years ago - maybe during the post 2016 banter about great storms and what was the greatest...  

Sounds like our memories are much the same of 78, it was a monster.  I was 16 att, old enough to remember it vividly, but not old enough to understand much about the mechanics.  It was one of several events that fostered my interest in meteorology.  A year or two before I'd built my first weather station from HeathKit.  Remember watching the wind speed indicator on the indoor display going nuts until it gave up.  The anemometer stopped working for a while, but the temperature kept reporting.  We didn't get above freezing again for several weeks after that, which just prolonged the impact. 

Appreciate the info on the books and other data.  Will definitely check it out.  Will be interesting to recollect the details of what 78 was all about.  Cheers.

I built a weather station from Heathkit, I think it was in 1980. I still have it lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Two things that you can count on  in weather forums imo ..(over the 15-18 years I've been part of them) is plenty of laughs  and many people giving up on mid range and even short range threats because verbatim its not showing what they want . There's no freaking way I'm giving up on a threat 100+  hours out ( Saturday night). I mean.. most of our light and moderate hits are realized in the mid range and many in the short range -72hrs . Once I get a threat in mid range ..inside 7 days I personally don't track anything else past it except for a casual look and this has served me well in this hobby over the years . Don't get me wrong it's fun to look at long range stuff but I live for the medium range when its within models better wheelhouse in general. I also track year around and have a incredible passion for all types of weather ..u name it ...

Snow, flash flood threats,  severe, tropical,  wind, heat, severe cold,  all noreasters ( rain or snow), 17 year  locusts, etc.:)

We gotta be due soon right? lol

• Haha 1

I'm back after a week at the AMS meeting in Phoenix and a few days vacation in the Tucson area.  Did I miss anything?  

Ironically, I also missed last March's storm due to a trip to spring training, the St. Patrick's Day storm in 2014 due to business trip,   Commutageddon in 2011 due to AMS, ...

My next out of town trip -- February 14 - 20

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jebman said:

I built a weather station from Heathkit, I think it was in 1980. I still have it lol.

Hey Jeb,

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one.  If I remember correctly, Heathkit sold two different weather stations back then, and they weren't cheap.  Mine had 4 dials.  One for wind speed and direction, one for barometer, one for temp and....   hummm  forget what the other one was - rh?.  I still have mine too, someplace.  Had a ribbon cable that ran to an oblong black box that provided some of telemetry for the data.  Thought it was pretty cool at the time.  

Was inspired by my dad who made our first color tv from a Heathkit TV kit - circa 1968 (he passed away this past Sept..)  Watched Neil and Buzz land on the moon on it when I was 8.  Had a mechanical remote control with 4 buttons that clicked small tuning forks that sent an audible "ting" to the receiver in the TV to control on/off, channel up/down, volume up/down and color.  Dad had to buy a cabinet for it when he was done and of course he bought a Curtis Mathis, which was the best money could buy at the time.  Was state of the art at the time.  Never forget how proud he was when it worked.  We used it until well into the 80's after I left home to move to DC.  

10 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I am horrific at poems lol.

I dont think I have a song that addresses snow on snow on snow, I'll look around, but I think the weather WILL come around for the Mid Atlantic. The models will come around as well.

You're gonna get smashed by snow.

Only smashed and not SHELLACKED or ANNIHILATED? We pass.

25 minutes ago, jayyy said:

^ yep. Trend is our friend currently. And please people, do not freak out if today still shows an ice or rain event. As long as it continues to show a flatter solution and less phasing than yesterday, and especially if the western ridge pushes east and the high up north is positioned better in New England instead of the plains, we could still be in the game. 

FD58FE63-EFFC-42C2-BFB7-C1B988EA25D1.gif.069322d25349b708dbc2c8103be9be33.gif662F6B7A-C1CB-46C0-8FF9-29B2673D3045.gif.2f5e7adfc27eda8d550cf5df40adad1f.gif45E19342-88EF-40CC-8515-84EE45F69D3C.gif.522bff8897a6c249931b59667d8f9b50.gif9059535F-AA96-4FA5-92C5-65650D8B25AF.gif.38871d912b416e55371d165b4bf68e4a.gif9B672A91-53B8-4BFC-88F9-60411D255401.gif.6ebb09cf1a1e3dea39c7239024fc0a4d.gif794DB0C4-A08A-4386-9FFF-F7554CFD84E0.gif.72f545b41d4b3199c57db2a51b031ea7.gif

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic