Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2019

George BM

30 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Same.  Getting more and more stressed about all of the crap virtually "piling up" on my desk.

Amen!  Almost as bad as not working/not getting paid, it's been in the back of my mind how much stuff I'll have to recover from when this is eventually over.  Some things just simply may be lost.

27 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

And I will have to charge my research grants for all this furlough time so I’ll have less time to do the work I’m supposed to do.

But, but...it's all like a vacation, isn't it?? (that was serious snark there, by the way!):P.  This is the one thing I think a lot of people don't see or perhaps don't get.  When the shutdown ends, it's not like you just go back to work and move on like nothing happened.  There's a ton of sh*t that is backlogged from the past 3+ weeks.  If you've got experimental stuff that was running or whatever, that may have failed or otherwise data may have been lost because nobody is there to keep an eye on it.  Stuff that I would have normally done around the beginning of the month may not still be there to recover when I get back.  And on, and on...

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Wife picked this one. We had friends with timeshare there. So, it is $100 for the whole 3-day weekend. I wanted to take my son snow-tubing for the first time. I will definitely go further north and a higher elevation. Maybe before the winter is out. Any suggestions? 

Canaan.  Way different climate.  Heaven.

There is a great sled track in Blackwater Falls State park also.  It's a great area for snow.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Does anyone else use stormvista? The snow algorithms seem a bit wonky when a changeover is involved.  It shows like 4-6 inches Sunday afternoon in dc on the euro even though I'm pretty sure wxbell doesn't. 

I have SV and weathermodels.  The only thing I’ve noticed is that the snow algorithms for ensembles are sometimes off.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Go to Vermont man. Stowe is prime for 12-18" from this one. Sugarbush will probably be good spot too and little more friendly on the pass prices.

Enjoy!!

You are right about the best spots for snow.  I am looking into which resorts up there are most friendly for a 4 year old just learning.  Smuggs might be a good option, they usually get good family ratings.  I would like him to get a group lesson day one, then I will stay with him day 2.  He might take it more seriously with a "real teacher" and in a group his age.  That and while I have taught many adults to ski I have never tried with someone his age.  Not sure my technique would work.  

@Fozz @PivotPoint I am keeping an eye on the cold.  He is really excited so I don't want to cancel, and I am not sure I will be able to find another weekend.  My debate schedule and bridge project scoring takes up a lot of my remaining weekends during prime skiing season and finding another 3 day weekend will be difficult.  So I REALLY don't want to cancel.  And south of where the cold is looks like rain/ice so that won't work.  Maybe Snowshoe is an option if they look to get good upslope snow on the backside, but that doesn't look that much warmer at 4800 feet out there Sunday/Monday and they might be a sheet of ice if they don't get enough snow to cover after the rain.  I am open to suggestions but right now not totally sure what I will do.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

You are right about the best spots for snow.  I am looking into which resorts up there are most friendly for a 4 year old just learning.  Smuggs might be a good option, they usually get good family ratings.  I would like him to get a group lesson day one, then I will stay with him day 2.  He might take it more seriously with a "real teacher" and in a group his age.  That and while I have taught many adults to ski I have never tried with someone his age.  Not sure my technique would work.  

Lol

Good points -- teaching is tough at that age. Just gotta be real simple with the ideas and language. Think big concepts and let him figure out the details. That's so awesome though you're taking him. Real cool age to learn cause they're like little gummbies and they fall down and get right back up lol. Not us old guys anymore.

I'd say Smuggs is probably a little challenging terrain wise. But I'm sure they have terrain for him and if it's a good deal on a group lesson Id say go for it. The easiest (imo) and least intimidating mountain in Vermont is probably Mount Snow and they are very family friendly. Stowe's lift ticket is just too much but its got awesome terrain. Jay Peak is really cool but if its gonna be windy they usually shut stuff down as they seem to really feel the wind effects there. If you do go, I'd say try and stay around Burlington which is a cool little city with a lot to do. Then either drive to Smuggs or Sugarbush which are within about an hour of Burlington. There are some smaller mountains around Burlington but I haven't skied them. Anyways, have fun. Should be really good conditions this weekend. Take Pics!

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@Fozz @PivotPoint I am keeping an eye on the cold.  He is really excited so I don't want to cancel, and I am not sure I will be able to find another weekend.  My debate schedule and bridge project scoring takes up a lot of my remaining weekends during prime skiing season and finding another 3 day weekend will be difficult.  So I REALLY don't want to cancel.  And south of where the cold is looks like rain/ice so that won't work.  Maybe Snowshoe is an option if they look to get good upslope snow on the backside, but that doesn't look that much warmer at 4800 feet out there Sunday/Monday and they might be a sheet of ice if they don't get enough snow to cover after the rain.  I am open to suggestions but right now not totally sure what I will do.  

I'd say just suck it up and make the long drive to VT. It sucks but you won't be disappointed. You have a good 4wheel drive? I have a 4runner with dedicated snow tires during winter so I'm comfortable with the trip but know that it can get dicey REAL quick up there if you're not properly equipped. Just make sure you leave well ahead of the storm. I typically chase up there to go skiing and I've turned a 9 hour drive into a 14/15 hour drive before. That last 150 miles on rt 91 to 89 can be abysmal if you start to get slammed. My guess is you'd probably take 87 and go through upstate NY the direction you'd be coming from.

Honestly, Id be heading up there this weekend if it weren't for a recurring Sunday commitment. Hit the slopes then grab a Heady Topper beer Apres Ski. Nothing better

I'm hoping the storm after the storm holds together for the 1/24-26 time frame as I have plans to play hooky if that storm comes to fruition.

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Been to Stowe, Smuggs, Killigton, Jay, Wildcat, Bolten Valley, Burke and Sunday River. I would go Smuggs or Sunday River for a 4 yo's first time. Both are VERY family friendly. Burke for a third choice.

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My four year old just took her first lessons over the Christmas holidays. It’s definitely worth the money to do at least one private lesson if you can. Attention spans are short, and she got a lot out of that. Group on day two and she loved it because she had the basic idea already. After we just kept letting her practice at a small hill on the bottom of the slope. By day three she made it down from the top of the mountain with help from my husband. Kids are so great because they fear nothing. We started all of our kids early.

Anyway, we were up in the poconos b/c we were visiting family up there. Jack Frost & Big Boulder have a nice ski school program. Plus they should be getting snow this weekend. Not Vermont, but not bad. If you’re looking up there though, Stratton Mountain is nice as is Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires. Wherever you go, enjoy!!

2 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

I'd say just suck it up and make the long drive to VT. It sucks but you won't be disappointed. You have a good 4wheel drive? I have a 4runner with dedicated snow tires during winter so I'm comfortable with the trip but know that it can get dicey REAL quick up there if you're not properly equipped. Just make sure you leave well ahead of the storm. I typically chase up there to go skiing and I've turned a 9 hour drive into a 14/15 hour drive before. That last 150 miles on rt 91 to 89 can be abysmal if you start to get slammed. My guess is you'd probably take 87 and go through upstate NY the direction you'd be coming from.

Honestly, Id be heading up there this weekend if it weren't for a recurring Sunday commitment. Hit the slopes then grab a Heady Topper beer Apres Ski. Nothing better

I'm hoping the storm after the storm holds together for the 1/24-26 time frame as I have plans to play hooky if that storm comes to fruition.

I have a subaru so should be ok on the driving.  I won't get stuck on the highway with him though...plan to get up there before the storm and stay somewhere close to where we will ski.  They usually keep the roads around the resorts clean for obvious reasons.  I am very used to driving in snow so a short distance won't be a problem.  

4 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Agree with this. We arrived at Smuggs one year in a light snow, JUST beating the pounding that occurred later that night, woke to 27 new inches of snow, EPIC weekend. Travel DURING snows is a bit iffy, but they do an outstanding job of clearing roads right after the event. Yep, 81 up to 88 to 87 and pick up Rt 4 at Glens Falls. RT 22A is the 'short cut' up towards Burlington if headed to Smuggs.

32 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I have a subaru so should be ok on the driving.  I won't get stuck on the highway with him though...plan to get up there before the storm and stay somewhere close to where we will ski.  They usually keep the roads around the resorts clean for obvious reasons.  I am very used to driving in snow so a short distance won't be a problem.  

Perfect. Good stuff. Should have a great time 

26 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Agree with this. We arrived at Smuggs one year in a light snow, JUST beating the pounding that occurred later that night, woke to 27 new inches of snow, EPIC weekend. Travel DURING snows is a bit iffy, but they do an outstanding job of clearing roads right after the event. Yep, 81 up to 88 to 87 and pick up Rt 4 at Glens Falls. RT 22A is the 'short cut' up towards Burlington if headed to Smuggs.

You know your stuff, sir!

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Oh I found it posted somewhere else and brought here it.  I’m not sure of anyone here who uses it though...

Ok thank....was just curious.  I like their graphics and see that they offer full Euro options as well.  What used to be a cheap hobby is slowly evolving into a money machine for some outlets.  Ha!  Oh well....I guess I could have more expensive hobbies. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic