• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

I don't think I'll get over 25 degrees tomorrow.  I know the forecasts are calling for 32 +.  Cold air is pretty settled over the DC area. It'll take a while for it to be cleared out.  Kinda like cold air damning. Everyone always forgets about that. 

BTW, I'm not a trained meteorologist. Weather is like a hobby and I've lived here over 25 years.

It’s not going to be a surprise snowstorm but there should be some freezing drizzle issues on Wednesday. Might be spotty but as some have noticed the NAMs and other high-res models have been hinting at it.

Reminds me a little of last years mini-ice events where we accreted above 32 due to a frigid precious air mass. Ground is frozen and lots of us won’t make it above 32 tomorrow. + undermodeled CAD... probably some slipperiness.

I thought I had a chance at zero last night after previous nights 3.2 reading, BUT clouds rolled in around 2 am and temp stopped going down and actually reversed! It was 7.1 at 2 am and up to 9.6 at 7am. Yesterday just crossed over and out of teens with a 21.3 high. Currently it is 28.8 at 1:20 pm, may touch freezing before the sun (which magically came back out around 9 am and the clouds eroded) goes down.

This coming rainstorm is a disaster not just for us, but also for just about the entire northeast. A lot of these places in NNE and upstate NY that were in the negative teens as recently as yesterday morning are about to get drenched with 35 degree rain. I find it incredible how quickly a lake cutter can scour out even a frigid Arctic air in a matter of hours.

I guess that's what happens when you don't have blocking.

46 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Probably get some gusty winds mixing down when this line comes thru around 9 AM or so 

3k advertising 45-55 mph possible 

Screenshot_20190124-065403_Chrome_crop_529x649.jpg

Of note ...Hrrr is much further east with this line . East of 95 mostly 

Just Appears to be an under Performer rainfall wise. Certainly under performed compared to every other rain event we have had in 2018 and so far this year.  But I’m sure no one is complaining about the mild temperatures this morning :thumbsup:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic