• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Clipper/Coastal Storm January 3-4th 2019

USCAPEWEATHERAF

The HIRES NAM and the regular NAM model runs of tonight's 00z runs, January 1st, 2019 00z, 7 pm EST, Monday, December 31st, both show the system that can bring us accumulating snows, without a much favorable weather pattern overall, we have western CONUS ridging which provides a reason for the northern stream disturbance to dig southward across the Great Lakes, from Manitoba, Canada to a position over New England.  This brings the coastal storm closer to the coastline of SNE just east of Atlantic City, NJ.  If the HIRES is correct, this coastal low develops to 1012mb just east of the NJ coastline, providing a long enough window for intensification south of SNE, providing the area with heavier snows.  Even the warm biased SREFs at this 60-hour range are rather cold for this event, daytime temps near 36F.  If I were to guess an average snowfall forecast for the area, I would say 1-4" for western zones of SNE, and 2-6" for eastern zones from Worcester and Providence, RI eastward, with Cape Cod perhaps seeing if all snow, about 4-6".  We shall hope and pray this event does not disappear within 36-hours and disappears just to give the area a dusting of snow, like the four events in December that gave Harwich less than .01" of snow.  Still enough time for this to go either direction.  We need luck.

HIRES NAM 00z New Years day run.gif

Operational NAM run New years Day 00z.gif

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

It shows if it was cold enough on Cape Cod for 3-6" and maybe 6+ for ACK, if the air was cold, it should be given the 850mb and 925mb temps are both below freezing.

Looks tough for snow there except maybe at the beginning. Nam looks like 1-2 in many spots. Same with Reggie.

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's more like a quickly moving inverted trough with the offshore storm and the northern stream s/w passing to our north. Too much southerly flow and not much moisture with a crappy airmass. Interior is favored and it is likely trivial at best for amounts.

this

Super fast zonal flow from pacific well into Atlantic 

I’ll lean toward weak elongated and disjointed 

it’s thread the needle to see more unless Mets disagree 

btw it’s gorgeous out

I need to find a milf that lives at elevation

just drove home from mass and there is indications we saw at least a coating here